Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Trying to understand- the 3% & measles
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:58 pm
They say the MMR vaccine is 97% effective. What does this mean? Is there anyway to know if you have a higher risk to be part of the 3%? If someone check their titers, and it shows immunity does this mean they are safe, or they can still be part of the 3%?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to understand.
If you are in the medical field, or researched this please share.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:20 pm
Everyone's body responds differently. Some produce the necessary antibodies with the first dose, the majority need a second, some even need a third and some just don’t produce enough antibodies to fight off the disease.
Research titers, in my understanding, it is not as accurate as we’d like it to be.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:40 pm
Lymnok, I believe the majority (90-93%) are immune after one dose. The second dose gets immunity up to 97%.

amother
White

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:45 pm
The percentage is of people, not of the immunity- meaning after one dose 93% of people are 100% immune, after the second dose, 97% of people are 100% immune. There is a small population for whom the vaccine doesn’t work (hence we rely on herd immunity).

This outbreak has also shown that in some portion of the population the immunity wears off, that’s why it’s recommended to check your titers and make sure you are still immune.

rosenbal

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:55 pm
I know a bunch of people who just got their titers tested and are NOT immune! Most probably only has 1 vaccine but at least 1 of the people had two. Now they're going to vax tomorrow. It's really crazy that we need to worry about this nowadays...

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:59 am
If 93% of people are 100% immune after one shot, wouldn’t it make sense for people to routinely get their titers checked after one shot and then only require the second shot for the people who are part of 7% that aren’t immune from the first mmr? Or at least we should have the option to do that if we prefer to avoid a second mmr?
Giving 2 MMR vaccines to everyone when it’s unecessary for 97% of people seems excessive and unecessary.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 5:17 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
If 93% of people are 100% immune after one shot, wouldn’t it make sense for people to routinely get their titers checked after one shot and then only require the second shot for the people who are part of 7% that aren’t immune from the first mmr? Or at least we should have the option to do that if we prefer to avoid a second mmr?
Giving 2 MMR vaccines to everyone when it’s unecessary for 97% of people seems excessive and unecessary.

But think of how much profit would be lost if people stopped buying so many doses.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
But think of how much profit would be lost if people stopped buying so many doses.

Conspiracy theorist much?

The second dose promotes lifetime immunity, not immunity at a particular moment in time.

There is a cost to checking titers.

And pharmaceutical companies don't make huge amounts on vaccines, particularly when you factor in R&D costs.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 5:24 pm
rosenbal wrote:
I know a bunch of people who just got their titers tested and are NOT immune! Most probably only has 1 vaccine but at least 1 of the people had two. Now they're going to vax tomorrow. It's really crazy that we need to worry about this nowadays...

I work as a kindergarten teacher and we have to get our titers tested before we start the job. I honestly had never heard that it was possible to be vaccinated and still not to be immune. I am immune bh but I'm glad I had to get it tested for work and now I'm not worried.

ggdm

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 4:54 am
I have honestly never heard of checking titers before imamother. Here, if you are unsure whether you have been vaccinated enough, they just recommend you get the shot again. Even if it would be the third. I would assume it is cheaper or at least as cheap as the test. And if you are already immune, nothing happens. Your immune system quickly takes care of the vaccine and that's it. The risk that you have a bad reaction should be minimal, because presumably the first time went well (or you should mention that). Also tests can be wrong. So when you believe vaccines are very safe, giving the shot again makes a lot of sense.

(sorry if the post doesn't make too much sense, I should get back to preparations)

sub

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 5:16 am
Titers checking and the vaccine can be covered by insurance. And yes you could have been vaccinated as a cild but show no immunity. This happened to me.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 10:34 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

That's what I did. But most people can't be bothered. I gave one MMR, tested for titers which came back positive and was thus able to avoid giving a second MMR. I will iy"H retest my girls' titers before marriage (because of rubella).

You definitely have this option. Doctor puts the immunity on record and schools accept it as proof of immunity on the vaccination record.

trixx

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 10:46 am
ggdm wrote:
I have honestly never heard of checking titers before imamother. Here, if you are unsure whether you have been vaccinated enough, they just recommend you get the shot again. Even if it would be the third. I would assume it is cheaper or at least as cheap as the test. And if you are already immune, nothing happens. Your immune system quickly takes care of the vaccine and that's it. The risk that you have a bad reaction should be minimal, because presumably the first time went well (or you should mention that). Also tests can be wrong. So when you believe vaccines are very safe, giving the shot again makes a lot of sense.

(sorry if the post doesn't make too much sense, I should get back to preparations)

You are still injecting heavy metals and toxins into your body. The buildup of this is the problem. And again this is one of the concerns (and a valid one) of those reluctant to give vaccines or suspicious of the industry. Why all these unnecessary injections when a blood test can do? To say that there are no repercussions is simply untrue although western medicine will keep claiming that.

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 12:04 pm
trixx wrote:
You are still injecting heavy metals and toxins into your body. The buildup of this is the problem. And again this is one of the concerns (and a valid one) of those reluctant to give vaccines or suspicious of the industry. Why all these unnecessary injections when a blood test can do? To say that there are no repercussions is simply untrue although western medicine will keep claiming that.

In my area, no one will give the vaccine without checking titers first. Personally I don't have the patience and would rather just get the vaccine than have to go back twice (as it was, I actually did not have immunity). Maybe one day in the future they'll find that some other ingredients in vaccines are harmful. For now, it seems hypocritical for me to worry about that, so long as I continue to ingest sugar, whose many negative effects on the body are well known.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:45 pm
Laiya wrote:
In my area, no one will give the vaccine without checking titers first. Personally I don't have the patience and would rather just get the vaccine than have to go back twice (as it was, I actually did not have immunity). Maybe one day in the future they'll find that some other ingredients in vaccines are harmful. For now, it seems hypocritical for me to worry about that, so long as I continue to ingest sugar, whose many negative effects on the body are well known.

Totally. Smokers may as well do heroin.

A titers test is $15.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:46 pm
it was never suggested widely to check for titers because measles was virtually eradicated! virtually no one had to worry about it!

now due to increased non vaxing there are outbreaks and to protect ourselves and everyone around us greater measures to stop the epidemic before it grows are in place and this includes checking titers to double check immunity and get a booster vaccine if so indicated

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Totally. Smokers may as well do heroin.

A titers test is $15.

Lol. Was waiting for that. The difference of course is that there has yet to be discovered any actual negative effects from these theoretical "heavy metals and toxins"

Also, $15 without insurance? Co-pay? Does insurance always cover?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:07 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
it was never suggested widely to check for titers because measles was virtually eradicated! virtually no one had to worry about it!

now due to increased non vaxing there are outbreaks and to protect ourselves and everyone around us greater measures to stop the epidemic before it grows are in place and this includes checking titers to double check immunity and get a booster vaccine if so indicated

That's not true. Holly s law in NJ dealt with this years ago after Holly Marie Stavola died from acute encephalopathy after her 2nd MMR.

The New Jersey Antibody Titer Law ( Holly's Law ) (NJSA 26:2N-8-11), passed on January 14, 2004. The law gives parents a choice before they consent to a second dose of measles, mumps and rubella vaccine. A Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) should be provided to the parents each time a vaccine is given. Holly's Law, NJ Chapter 257. C.26:2N-9b; " Documented laboratory evidence of immunity from MMR shall exempt a child from further vaccination for MMR, as may be required pursuant to Department of Health and Senior Services regulations."

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:10 pm
Some people would prefer to pay rather than give an extra unnecessary vaccine. It’s good to know that you can.
If insurance didn’t cover vaccines, I wonder if many more people would decide to skip them?

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:14 pm
When was the measles eradicated and for how long? What period of time?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics