Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
So...How's your pesach hotel going???
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:22 pm
dankbar wrote:
Could be that she is more machmir than parents but When she is with parents you go according to parents.

Many people eat very limited & restricted ingredients on pesach & you don't know what ingredients they use when you are in a commercial hotel.
Doesn't mean the venue is not kosher. For her it's not kosher enough

Read what she wrote, she didn’t say less machmir she said she’s worried about the kashrut

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:23 pm
tichellady wrote:
Omg you are obnoxious! Leave her alone.

Nope sorry I stand up for halacha and keeping the Torah properly no matter who says otherwise. Rather have someone accuse me of obnoxiousness than break halacha

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:25 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Actually they do. I know people who will drink non CY milk in their parents’ homes on the advice of Rabbonim when they never would in their own homes. The Pesach program likely doesn’t have “questionable kashrut” but just less Machmir than the poster would ideally choose for her and her family. This could be a different Hechsher or specific Pesach stringencies regarding processed food. It is quite likely a Rav would say Kivud Av trumps an added stringency.

Big assumption on your part—some people create their own hetter but you’re not a rabbi

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:26 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
He wouldn't eat it but they use leniencies that are ok by the Rav certifying it. That he wouldn't use at home.

It's super common that mashgichim bring their own food to pesach hotels. Or only eat a few things the whole time.

There's even a joke.

If you are having pesach with your parents, chag kosher vsameach.

Pesach with your in laws, chag kosher.

Pesach in a hotel, chag sameach.

That’s false and if your dh is allowing other people to eat what he wouldn’t then he will be held responsible in shomayim for any infraction of others

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Going anon so I don't give away too much. But after seeing and hearing a lot of the inside information of what a mashgiachs responsibilities are and what he's up against, I have stopped eating at many kosher establishments. When you have to be the one to put your foot down and say that the whole case of lettuce needs to be rechecked or thrown out because it's infested with bugs while the owner and chef are ready to punch you, it's understandable that leniencies will be relied on more often than not. That's just one example but there are thousands that any mashgiach can tell you and no matter how committed he may be, his power is very limited.

False information. Then he’s not a reliable mashgiach if he doesn’t stand up for the standards he should demand be adhered to..I also close with a head mashgiachand as soon as he sees an owner won’t stock with the strict rules he lays down he pulls his hashgacha! Anyone who doesn’t can’t be relied on

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Eggs do not need to be checked these days accordingly to many.
When dealing with commercial food only a small fraction of the vegetables need to be checked and as long as the vegetables that were checked are found to be bug free, according to halacha the rest is considered kosher. The same halacha does not apply at home.

Every reliable hashgacha checks eggs, stop spreading misinFORmation. The only ones who dont are the less reliable hasghachas, but don’t pretend they’re reliable and it’s ok. It’s not

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:36 pm
The halacha is like RA mom said, for commercial. I was just trying to say that technically you are allowed to eat it but do you want to?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:37 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Every reliable hashgacha checks eggs, stop spreading misinFORmation. The only ones who dont are the less reliable hasghachas, but don’t pretend they’re reliable and it’s ok. It’s not

Today the vast majority of eggs sold for food are derived from hens that have never been near a male in their lives.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Today the vast majority of eggs sold for food are derived from hens that have never been near a male in their lives.

It doesn’t matter, there was times I found blood spots in my house, imagine when they use so many thousands in hotels . The mashgiach I know has people sitting just checking eggs and offers them a certain amount of bonus money if they find a blood spot to give them an incentive to check

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What type of program offers only peeled vegetables?

Mainly caters to chabbad- I think it’s bizzare cuz if ur that strict blend would u be eating out on pesach but what do I know Confused

(Obviously wasn’t much of a choice in where and if to go. Also, I personally am not so machmir in many areas of my life so while I don’t like the idea of eating in a hotel I would not sacrifice Shalom on that alter if there’s a reliable hashgacha I feel I did my hishtadlus...)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:50 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
So your husband certified food, telling others that it was completely kosher and acceptable to eat (which is his job as a mashgiach) although he didn't believe that it was actually kosher or acceptable?

IOW, he caused people to eat food that he didnt' believe was kosher?

Pretty shocking.

Being a mashgiach for an agency means following THAT agency's halachos, chumros and leniency.
That is the reason people should look into the hechsher the hotel is using and not just relying on the ads that say NON GEBROKS, CHASIDISHE SHCHITA SHMURA MATZAH.
if you trust the hechsher and know what their rules are that is your decision.
But if the mashgiach has his personal chumros like peeling all veg. No potato starch, no oil, or whatever. Then he will bring his own things. Most hotel hechsheirim don't have these chumros.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:50 pm
Many eating places have today a mashgiach temidi who checks himself or many use only checked veg. I think in a way today there is more awareness & people demand more.

I remember while growing up in small community where everyone knew each others, there were no hechsheirim at eating places. You relied on owner. Same with people baking from home & selling to public didn't have hechsher. People baked & sent stuff to other people's simchos as well. Today when population grew it wouldn't fly. Stores/private bakers all have hechsheirim. Most catering halls dont allow outside food definitely not without a hechser.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:53 pm
Dh is a mashgiach so I believe much of what's written here (except for the inflammatory post written by amother Orange. Please post L"H and rechilus under your sn or don't post it). In general, he has higher standards for us at home, and he is even more stringent on himself than on the family (at his own inconvenience). Yes, there are many places where he wouldn't eat even though they meet the kashrus standards set forth by the agency he is working for that day. All of it is kosher, nothing questionable ch"v but all kashrus agencies rely on heterim. For example, the companies use Bodek brand pre-checked vegetables. Dh wouldn't eat it since they rely on the heter that only a handful of every lettuce run needs to be checked and that portion is representative of the entire batch. At home we check and recheck our own lettuce. Sometimes it's really infested and I'm glad we hand-check it. Many places buy pre-checked eggs in containers. Dh insists on hand-checking the eggs at the places he works, sometimes 500 of them at once!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:58 pm
About the two crying kids- That’s really a bit harsh
I’m very hands on
But it could happen to someone
Possibly through no fault of their own
And I’m sure they were very stressed r”l

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:05 am
Deleted because I see you edited your post for clarification

Last edited by dankbar on Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
Eggs do not need to be checked these days accordingly to many.
When dealing with commercial food only a small fraction of the vegetables need to be checked and as long as the vegetables that were checked are found to be bug free, according to halacha the rest is considered kosher. The same halacha does not apply at home.

The only information I was able to find about eggs online was from the OU's website. They say that they follow R' Moshe's psak that eggs should be checked even though they are not fertilized. So it does not seem to be a mainstream psak not to check eggs.

As for checking lettuce and such - the halachos are indeed different for a commercial establishment. And if you follow the guidelines, l'halacha the food is kosher. Just because some people are machmir on themselves this does not impose an obligation on anyone else and it's completely kosher.

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:12 am
I think it makes sense if a chassidishe mashgiach who let's say uses only cholov yisroel but hotel is catering to a crowd that doesn't demand cholov yisroel gives his approval as kosher but wouldn't use for himself. Same with other stringencies that chassidim would do like chassidishe shechita...A mashgiach that doesn't mish or use processed ingredients for himself can't put such stringencies on hotel/caterer/crowd. Obviously people who have these stringencies wouldn't go pesach to hotel so hotel has to cater to their guests.

Therefore you cant say that if he wouldn't eat it then he shouldn't certify it as kosher.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:30 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Read what she wrote, she didn’t say less machmir she said she’s worried about the kashrut

Gd you really are relentless.

I’m worried about the fact that the matzah isn’t shmurah and that the meat is rabbanut and the cheese not C”Y.

However sometimes I got to put aside the chumrahs I grew up with for the sake of shalom and kibud av.

If you really want more details post non anonymously so I can pm you Twisted Evil

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:09 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Nope sorry I stand up for halacha and keeping the Torah properly no matter who says otherwise. Rather have someone accuse me of obnoxiousness than break halacha

There is this famous story of the Belzer Rebbe ZTL (I think.) who was machmir on not eating gebrokts but either when he was at his mother's house or his mother at his house (don't remember the precise details) his mother brok'ed into his soup plate. Not only did he remain silent. But he ate his soup in its entirety so not to embarrass his mother.

So I guess kibbud av vaim does trump other halachos/minhagim sometimes.

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:11 am
You can ask the mashgiach or caterer privately about your concerns so then you can pick & choose what you do or don't want to eat & no need to be worried & anxious anymore for no good reason. Sometimes the stricter things are used by caterer, they sometimes import from Israel, even if crowd is less makpid, or you can try to mainly stick to foods that don't need such strong hashgacha. Do lots of produce. Hatzlacha & I hope you figure it out & enjoy yourself.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics