Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Exercise Exercise Exercise Exercise

First Lady

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 11:39 am
I am so so soooooooooooooo confused.

All I want is to lose weight and get into shape or even better regain my figure pre partum (is that a word?).
I keep hearing conflicting views. Somebody said cardio training is the best. Someone else says, no you need to do aerobics to lose weight. The next person "Aerobics makes you lose weight but doesn't shape you. You need to do both" So now the other says "no walking is the best".
So what do you people say?? (Do I really need more opinions Tongue Out ) Is anyone clear on the subject of exercise.
I tried Denise Austin but didn't like it.( I am doing Winsor Pilates 1-) 20 minute workout and 2- buns and thighs) but it's not aerobics. Is it enough?
What is the best way to lose weight and flatten your tummy, trim your waist, and shape your thighs and butts?? (in addition to drinking water and eating healthy which I already am)

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 11:48 am
I think it's best to combine cardio and strength training. However, it's always best to do something you can stick with. If you feel you can only do cardio, just do that. It's definitely going to make a big difference if you do high impact cardio 3x weekly (for at least an hour).

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 11:58 am
I know ur going to not like what I have to say but here goes

Everyone's bodies are different!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:03 pm
did you ask your dr ?

gigi

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:05 pm
running...

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:31 pm
Aerobics and cardio are pretty much interchangeable, I think. I second what Defy said. Cardio will def. help you lose weight if done at least 3x a week for at least 30-45 minutes each time. It burns lots of calories. On the days that you're not doing cardio, you should def. try to weight train, or at least use a body sculpting video, or take a class if joining a gym. Weight training IS what tones and defines all over, and it also raises your metabolism, as muscle burns calories even when you're resting. If you can't exercise every day, you can do all the cardio and weights on the same days, just give yourself a day of rest between weight training .

If you're primary goal is to lose weight for now, you can skip the weight training for now, and add it in later when you're ready to tone up.

Oh, and walking is always a nice extra , but I wouldn't use it as my primary source of exercise, unless it's real brisk walking up a steep hill Very Happy Remember , you gotta get your heart rate up so that it should be uncomfortable to carry on a conversation.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:44 pm
aerobics is cardio, no?

I was told that you need to do at least 45 minutes cardio for it to be meaningful. Also, certain exercises don't so much burn calories but help you tone up, so also important. And muscle building exercises are good because more muscle means you burn more calories, which means weight loss - so long as you don't eat more.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you watch your diet too. If I work out like mad but don't cut back on calories, I lose almost nothing. Sad

First Lady

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:47 pm
So could you tell me if I got it right?
Cardio is aerobics type of stuff and Strength/Weight training is targeting specific areas and sculpting your specific parts types of stuff.
Lifting weights is weight training and so is Winsor Pilates, right?
Walking on a treadmill ( with the up a steep hill option Very Happy ) is cardio. Aerobic classes is cardio. Running is cardio.
Did I get it right?
If I did then I am not doing enough cardio.
So now what's your favorite DVD that can you recommend for cardio and also for strength training?
Thanx

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 5:32 pm
I like my recumbant bike and my urban rebounder for cardio.

Apple pie

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:32 pm
What about swimming? which category is it?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:34 pm
I would guess that it's strength and cardio.

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 3:39 pm
My aerobics instructor claims that running or jogging is the best for all categories. It's great for health, weight loss and toning.

In her aerobics class, she has us running around the place for about 15 mintues, and is building it up for us to be able to jog for 1/2 hour straight.

ABC

Post Sat, Dec 31 2011, 1:40 pm
is jogging on the spot as effective as jogging from one place to another?

SS6099

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 10:54 pm
DEFINITELY a combination of both. You need to build muscle mass for your body to burn calories when at rest as well as cardio, to burn current calories. From personal experience, lifting weights on top of cardio helped me WONDERS. You don't need more than 2-3 times for 15 minutes a week.

STovah

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 2:29 pm
Maya wrote:
My aerobics instructor claims that running or jogging is the best for all categories. It's great for health, weight loss and toning.

In her aerobics class, she has us running around the place for about 15 mintues, and is building it up for us to be able to jog for 1/2 hour straight.

Might be best for all categories, but probably worst for the knees! I've always wanted to run/jog, but my knees get injured so easily.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 2:37 pm
STovah wrote:
Maya wrote:

Might be best for all categories, but probably worst for the knees! I've always wanted to run/jog, but my knees get injured so easily.

I know this won't work for someone with severe knee problems, but the first time I tried embarking on a running program, my knees were injured after every run to the point where they were buckling on me involuntarily and I nearly fell down the stairs more than once!

I tried again this year but I took it extremely slowly and at the same time did tons of stretching and what's more important, I did an intense amount of weight training on all my leg muscles 3 times a week. I think strengthening my leg muscles immensely took a lot of the shock off my knees when running. the first couple of weeks my knees didn't feel amazing, but as I kept on strengthening my legs, I haven't had any problems since then b"h.

torquoise

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 2:48 pm
Wow, OP, you sound as confused as I was a few years ago. Since then, I think I've figured most of it out, but again, you'll have to see what works for you.

Cardio: I found that aerobics and high energy workouts (like Denise Austin "Blast away 10 lbs") helped alot to burn calories and boost my energy levels. Cardio did most of the work for me when it came to really losing weight. Weeks that I did Cardio, I lost more than weeks that I did Strength Training.

Strength training: These muscle-toning exercises helped alot in putting my shape back in order. For example, I was very S-shaped before (big bust, big butt, big thighs, and nothing in between.) Doing arm, abs, and thigh exercises helped even everything out - the big parts got a bit smaller as I used muscle which burned fat in those areas. Firming and flattening my abs made me stand straighter, and overall get that straighter human look, like the ones in the science museum. Getting arm muscles was really nice - looked nicer, and now it's so much easier to shlep groceries and a stroller upstairs.
Also, Strength corrects your muscles all over, so that when you're doing Cardio (walking, running, bike, swimming) you do them correctly, with more energy, and you get much more benefit from the Cardio workout. I found this especially true with abs - before a cardio workout, I'd do the Abs section (10 min) on Denise Austin "Get Fit Fast" and I found the Cardio workout was much more powerful and I felt more worked-out afterward.

To sum it up: Cardio and Strength are both important, but I think 2/3 cardio and 1/3 strength will give you the most weight-loss benefit.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 2:51 pm
torquoise wrote:
Wow, OP, you sound as confused as I was a few years ago. Since then, I think I've figured most of it out, but again, you'll have to see what works for you.

hopefully the OP has figured it out, too, since her post is from 2007 Very Happy

KaylaG

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 1:28 am
You cannot spot reduce your hips thighs butt or whatever. What you can do is lower your overall bodyfat percentage though smart food choices and exercising in an interval training manner that uses both cardio and strength in the same workout. As you lower your body fat percentage and condition the muscles you will begin to see the results you are looking for. Things like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for instance (though I am not specifically saying it needs to be that video or that instructor). I mean doing things like upper then lower body exercise which get your heart pumping the blood from top to bottom. Do strength intervals interspersed with cardio. So you might do a lat pull down set and then do a set of jumping jacks, then back to the lats. A few sessions with a good trainer might get you on track. Alternatively a few good videos. If you cannot tolerate this kind of conditioning yet, you might work up to it by doing 3-4 days of cardio (stair climbing, biking, walking/runnnig, swimming, dance classes that push your heart rate up like zumba) and 2-3 days of weight training per week. You should start to see some results assuming you don't eat it all back on. The muscle you are building will burn fat even when your body is asleep since your body needs to repair the muscles worked. The cardio simply rips thought stored energy (fat) as long as your are pushing yourself to a perceived rate of exertion of say 6-8 on a scale of 1-10.

Kayla

black sheep

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 1:33 am
diet is 90% of weight loss. you said you are already eating healthy, but that is still the most important factor in losing weight.

as far as exercise, cardio and strength training are equally important, but for different reasons. cardio burns fat, but strength training builds muscle which helps with toning and definition and also more muscle tissue means a better metabolism. so do both.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise