Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please carefull of not say keep finger crossed & emoticons
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:47 am
imasoftov wrote:
If there was only one user logged in at the time I suppose it would be clear that all the posts within a short period were from the same poster. But how would anyone know who was logged in then?

Well maybe there was one poster logged in an a guest? No, that wouldn't work because a guest can't see who is logged in, even if the logged-in poster's posts were all in forums readable by guests (such as this one).

Well perhaps there are two posters logged in, and one of them was watching the list of logged in users on the home page (all the way at the bottom, if you're logged in)? Well right now there are 51 people logged in. But what if it was just two, couldn't the other one tell an anon post was from you? Not unless they were refreshing the home page continuously, a third user could have logged in, posted something, and logged out without the second user noticing.

I agree with OP. There are certain clues that give away who the amother is when posting. One of those clues are if they are active on another thread at the same time with the same writing style or a real life story.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Personally, I think that the Israeli tendency to take the plus sign (+) and change it to a capital T is ridiculous. It's a math symbol, for Pete's sake! Don't people have anything better to worry about?

Wow that's a funny memory. I went through a phase where I would write a lower case "t" with a little hook at the bottom so it wouldn't look like a cross, but funnily enough I never worried about the plus sign! Can't Believe It

Would someone pls explain the non Jewish origins of shlissel challah???

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:58 am
My Polish anti me (or Jewish) religious Christian coworker used to knock on wood against ajin hora. I wouldn't use it.

Laiya

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:04 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
My Polish anti me (or Jewish) religious Christian coworker used to knock on wood against ajin hora. I wouldn't use it.

Wasn't there a halacha about wiping your hands on wood to take away tumah, if no water for negel vasser is available?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:45 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Would someone pls explain the non Jewish origins of shlissel challah???

The Origins of the Non-Jewish Custom Of ‘Shlissel Challah’

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:57 am
imasoftov wrote:
The Origins of the Non-Jewish Custom Of ‘Shlissel Challah’

Whoa! And the article even quotes imamother!
So should we stop baking shlissel challah?????

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Keep fingers crossed is definitelly not allowed. To say we will keep fingers crossed is a wrong expression for any Jew. Its the Tslav-cross shape when crossing and means hoping in merit of the cross. It comes from church.

The emoticon of pray (or hope) - that is both hands together - on whatsapp is probably avodah zarah. People only pray with hands together to other avodah zarahs, nobody does that in shul, right? I think both must be stopped.

Please to get into a better habit.

This whole post rubs me the wrong way. PSA: No one likes to be addressed this way. Please be careful not to act like my mommy when giving me unsolicited mussar. And I’m not too afraid to be annoyed under my own name. Thanks.

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:22 am
Squishy wrote:
I agree with OP. There are certain clues that give away who the amother is when posting. One of those clues are if they are active on another thread at the same time with the same writing style or a real life story.

Why would you look? That’s like ‘ooh, someone posted anonymously. I better figure out who they are so I can out them.’

Last edited by OBnursemom on Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

urban gypsy wrote:

Only if imamother functions as your LOR.

amother
Jade

urban gypsy wrote:

The article is a mockery. We have our minhagim.
Just because Christians also did it doesn't imply its Christian.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Only if imamother functions as your LOR.

Did you read the article?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:30 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Did you read the article?

Nope. Shlissel challah is our minhag. My rav’s wife makes it too. I’m not going to bother.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:30 am
I've done some further research, read this article and comments here:
http://daattorah.blogspot.com/......html

I'm thinking baking the challah in a key shape (similar to a cross) is a bad idea, but putting the key into the challah is okay. What do you all think?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:32 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I've done some further research, read this article and comments here:
http://daattorah.blogspot.com/......html

I'm thinking baking the challah in a key shape (similar to a cross) is a bad idea, but putting the key into the challah is okay. What do you all think?

We put a key imprint in the bottom of the challah. I’ve never made it in a key shape.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:36 am
Nope. Shlissel challah is our minhag. My rav’s wife makes it too. I’m not going to bother.

I'm not trying to be contrarian or disrespectful, but my rav's wife makes it too. Yet I know for a fact that her mother didn't, and neither did my rav's mother.

The argument is against the neverending proliferation of "trendy" minhagim that are not customary in your family as a quick fix or good-luck charm. If it is indeed your family minhag you should definitely continue.

I also think it's folly to imagine that there is no cross pollination between Jewish and non-Jewish culture and traditions, just as it is folly to imagine that Jewish DNA has been pure for generations. I would be really interested to read more about which Jewish customs are derived from non-Jewish customs and vice versa. I'm sure that the Hamsa is one and there must be so many others.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:05 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I'm not trying to be contrarian or disrespectful, but my rav's wife makes it too. Yet I know for a fact that her mother didn't, and neither did my rav's mother.

The argument is against the neverending proliferation of "trendy" minhagim that are not customary in your family as a quick fix or good-luck charm. If it is indeed your family minhag you should definitely continue.

I also think it's folly to imagine that there is no cross pollination between Jewish and non-Jewish culture and traditions, just as it is folly to imagine that Jewish DNA has been pure for generations. I would be really interested to read more about which Jewish customs are derived from non-Jewish customs and vice versa. I'm sure that the Hamsa is one and there must be so many others.

Both sets of mothers and grandmothers made it. My husband’s mother and grandmothers make it as well. It’s not trendy to us.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:09 am
Both sets of mothers and grandmothers made it. My husband’s mother and grandmothers make it as well. It’s not trendy to us.

Okay that's awesome and very special.
The point of the article is that the vast majority of people making it today saw it on Facebook, not in their grandmother's kitchen.
Maybe we can have a larger discussion about the correct approach to appropriating minhagim, particularly for BT people, because they often have very few family minhagim.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:10 am
How does giving advice not to say "we are keeping fingers crossed" (which comes from the cross/tseilem using people) get called here saying musar?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:18 am
I definitely do not use the phrase fingers crossed myself but I do find it annoying that there is really no other accurate phrase that conveys the idea of “here’s to hoping for good luck/let’s hope things turn out well!/here’s to hoping!” I mean you would just sound weird saying an alternative like that.

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I definitely do not use the phrase fingers crossed myself but I do find it annoying that there is really no other accurate phrase that conveys the idea of “here’s to hoping for good luck/let’s hope things turn out well!/here’s to hoping!” I mean you would just sound weird saying an alternative like that.

The phrase keep your fingers crossed pre-dates christianity.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics