Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please carefull of not say keep finger crossed & emoticons
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
The phrase keep your fingers crossed pre-dates christianity.

Keeping your fingers crossed refers to the symbol of the cross, which itself predates Christianity. What is your point?

moonstone

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:28 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
This whole post rubs me the wrong way. PSA: No one likes to be addressed this way. Please be careful not to act like my mommy when giving me unsolicited mussar. And I’m not too afraid to be annoyed under my own name. Thanks.

Yeah, it annoyed me too. Avodah Zara? Seriously? OP needs to chill out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:09 pm
So keep fingers cross is from before christianity.go a head and use. Then the cross itsellf is probably also from before christianity. And instead of saying thanks for bringing to our attention is the best we can do is complain that its saying musar?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So keep fingers cross is from before christianity.go a head and use. Then the cross itsellf is probably also from before christianity. And instead of saying thanks for bringing to our attention is the best we can do is complain that its saying musar?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:14 pm
Why do I need to chill out. ? Become cool, right? There are halachot of avoda zarah.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm pretty sure English is not your first language which is why your tone is coming across so badly. It sounds like you are very angry and rude but I'm sure it's just your English usage. I think that's the reason why other posters are reacting so badly to what you are saying.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:18 pm
Squishy wrote:
I agree with OP. There are certain clues that give away who the amother is when posting. One of those clues are if they are active on another thread at the same time with the same writing style or a real life story.

And with so much bulliying here why should I right after I posted about my son!

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:23 pm
What's going on OP? Why were you suddenly moved to discuss this now, and anonymously?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:27 pm
There is a series on Torahanytime by Rav Yosef Viener on bechukoseihem lo seleichu. He discusses this topic in depth and has found the background to many common phrases. Many are problematic, while many aren’t. You’re right that this one is.
I really don’t get the connection to your son.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:32 pm
I got tired of seing people asking for thilim on whatsap which is an excelent idea but it came with a symbol Im sure a rav would not allow.

Moadim Lesimcha!

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I got tired of seing people asking for thilim on whatsap which is an excelent idea but it came with a symbol Im sure a rav would not allow.

Moadim Lesimcha!

That makes sense. Sorry to hear that so many people need tehillim!
I do use the prayer hands as a "thank you" emoji. Is there any other emoji that I could use instead that would be easily understood as "thank you" ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 4:38 pm
Iymnok wrote:
There is a series on Torahanytime by Rav Yosef Viener on bechukoseihem lo seleichu. He discusses this topic in depth and has found the background to many common phrases. Many are problematic, while many aren’t. You’re right that this one is.
I really don’t get the connection to your son.

How do I find it? Im interested in hearing. We learnt in school but that was so many years ago. Also some habits came from experiene. We were small and we had like 8 blocks from home a church and we didnt say "once you see the church you are almost there ...."walk one block past church " Etc I guess credit to my mother and school.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:37 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Okay that's awesome and very special.
The point of the article is that the vast majority of people making it today saw it on Facebook, not in their grandmother's kitchen.
Maybe we can have a larger discussion about the correct approach to appropriating minhagim, particularly for BT people, because they often have very few family minhagim.

My grandparents did it as well and my husband grandparents too and they wouldn't do anything as non jewish as even eating at a pizza store.
I was taught that it's a segulah for parnassah.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:49 pm
FYI - it is the Chabad minhag (possibly other chassidim, too, I don't know) to put the hands together like that for modeh ani every morning.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:59 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Whoa! And the article even quotes imamother!
So should we stop baking shlissel challah?????

I found these comments on your second article regarding the first article you posted.

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:19 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Keeping your fingers crossed refers to the symbol of the cross, which itself predates Christianity. What is your point?

Many aspects of christianity were formed by practices of other religions. Crucifixion was a punishment invented by Persians 400 years before the common era.

Keeping your fingers crossed originally referred to the good (pagan) spirits found at intersections. When Christians came they appropriated aspects of the native's culture to make christianity more palatable to the population?

You can clearly see aspects of Judaism in Christianity. Do we walk away from those parts of our religion they incorporated? Some Christians celebrate Little Passover. Brazil shuts down the entire country to celebrate this Christian holiday. Do we stop celebrating Passover?

Where does this stop? Do we not say broken heart anymore? Do we not say it sticks to the roof of my mouth?

It's not practical to try to purge the English language of Christian influences.

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And with so much bulliying here why should I right after I posted about my son!

I agree with you more for your privacy than the bullying. They are bullying you in this thread. Being amother doesn't stop the bullying.

I stop myself from posting something under my SN after I discussed it IRL. Many people write this also. Don't let the bullies on this thread get to you.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:34 pm
Squishy wrote:
Many aspects of christianity were formed by practices of other religions. Crucifixion was a punishment invented by Persians 400 years before the common era.

Keeping your fingers crossed originally referred to the good (pagan) spirits found at intersections. When Christians came they appropriated aspects of the native's culture to make christianity more palatable to the population?

You can clearly see aspects of Judaism in Christianity. Do we walk away from those parts of our religion they incorporated? Some Christians celebrate Little Passover. Brazil shuts down the entire country to celebrate this Christian holiday. Do we stop celebrating Passover?

Where does this stop? Do we not say broken heart anymore? Do we not say it sticks to the roof of my mouth?

It's not practical to try to purge the English language of Christian influences.

I see you are very quick on your Wikipedia research today. But surely you see the difference between Jews adopting Christian traditions, and Christians adopting Jewish ones? The next step in your argument would advocate celebrating Xmas because of all those songs Irving Berlin wrote.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:36 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I found these comments on your second article regarding the first article you posted

It’s really worth reading through all the comments, there’s some wild stuff there!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:38 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
That makes sense. Sorry to hear that so many people need tehillim!
I do use the prayer hands as a "thank you" emoji. Is there any other emoji that I could use instead that would be easily understood as "thank you" ?

The official name/description of that emoji is “thank you” so it was clearly meant for that
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics