Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
If you had just a few hours in Chicago...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:57 pm
What's there to do?

DH and I have a stopover later this week and have never been there. No museums, just not our type. And we will be traveling with a toddler, in case that's relevant. We do have a small budget, and really are looking forward to a few hours of quality time. Never go on vacation or anything, so looking for something fun and relaxing. Also, where to eat that won't break the bank?

Any tips or advice?

doctorima

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:19 pm
How long is your stopover? Traffic there can be really bad, so if it's only a few hours, it's not worth risking missing your connection, and you should just stay in the airport, and maybe try to get UberEats to bring you some kosher food from a local restaurant.

If you have more time, my first thought was to go to the top of the Sears/Willis Tower, which is a unique Chicago bucket list item. But it's not super cheap. You could just go walk along the Magnificent Mile and/or the adjacent Lake Michigan if the weather's nice. The Shedd Aquarium is world famous, but also not cheap.

For food, Shallot's is renowned, but not cheap. Depending on where you're going, Milt's is a unique local place near Wrigley, or Ken's Diner is in the heart of the frum neighborhood, and both are reasonably priced.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:22 pm
Honestly I would love to go to Chicago just for shallots lol. Not well priced tho. Maybe milts- I think that another above me is right about making sure u have enough time and are not better off staying in the airport or if not going to the closets possible place

momsrus

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Honestly I would love to go to Chicago just for shallots lol. Not well priced tho. Maybe milts- I think that another above me is right about making sure u have enough time and are not better off staying in the airport or if not going to the closets possible place

There are literally people that fly to Chicago just to go to shallots.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:37 pm
I would visit Fox

Chavas

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:38 pm
Go to Millennium Park or Navy Pier. The skyline is worth the travel.

brat_islava

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:39 pm
momsrus wrote:
There are literally people that fly to Chicago just to go to shallots.

Is it really that good? Have you eaten there?
To me $32 for a Cobb salad in the midwest is "michelin star good".

brat_islava

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:40 pm
Chavas wrote:
Go to Millennium Park or Navy Pier. The skyline is worth the travel.

+1 for Navy Pier/Millennium Park if the weather is nice.

momsrus

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:41 pm
brat_islava wrote:
Is it really that good? Have you eaten there?
To me $32 for a Cobb salad in the midwest is "michelin star good".

I’ve been there. Yes the food is delicious

I don’t go crazy for any food though, so I can’t tell you if it’s worth it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:28 pm
doctorima wrote:
How long is your stopover? Traffic there can be really bad, so if it's only a few hours, it's not worth risking missing your connection, and you should just stay in the airport, and maybe try to get UberEats to bring you some kosher food from a local restaurant.

If you have more time, my first thought was to go to the top of the Sears/Willis Tower, which is a unique Chicago bucket list item. But it's not super cheap. You could just go walk along the Magnificent Mile and/or the adjacent Lake Michigan if the weather's nice. The Shedd Aquarium is world famous, but also not cheap.

For food, Shallot's is renowned, but not cheap. Depending on where you're going, Milt's is a unique local place near Wrigley, or Ken's Diner is in the heart of the frum neighborhood, and both are reasonably priced.

We have about 8 hours, so we should have time to spare. How's Shallots for lunch? Or are they only a dinner type place? I like the millennium park idea. Is it impossible to park there? I'd take an Uber, but don't know what we'd do with all the hand luggage we'd need to schlep around...

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:31 pm
I went for a day stopover.

We ate out in a really yummy well priced breakfast place which name eludes me ATM and then we went to visit the Willis tower. From there it was off to the airport. Because like others said, you really got to calculate the driving and traffic.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have about 8 hours, so we should have time to spare. How's Shallots for lunch? Or are they only a dinner type place? I like the millennium park idea. Is it impossible to park there? I'd take an Uber, but don't know what we'd do with all the hand luggage we'd need to schlep around...

Sorry, meant magnificent mile. Not sure, though. We live in the city, so skyscrapers are kinda humdrum...is that what we'd be taking in there?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I went for a day stopover.

We ate out in a really yummy well priced breakfast place which name eludes me ATM and then we went to visit the Willis tower. From there it was off to the airport. Because like others said, you really got to calculate the driving and traffic.

Thanks!! Will definitely keep in mind.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:36 pm
Just keep in mind, shallots is of the most expensive restaurants in the city. You can easily spend $100 on lunch for 3. Personally I don't think it's worth it but I am not a food conasseur.
Anywhere downtown don't rent a car because you will take time and money to park, I would sooner uber. Navy pier is a big tourist attraction.
8 hours is not a very long stop over , because you also need to leave yourself a couple hours to catch your flight back. I am not sure if I would go anywhere major.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:40 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I would visit Fox

That would be epic!!!!

ectomorph

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:42 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I would visit Fox

I did this!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That would be epic!!!! But I'd be too starstruck to open. my mouth

I'll have to settle for the fantasy of a celebrity sighting...

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:19 pm
If you want to stop somewhere and eat, that's all you'll have time for. Don't underestimate how long everything will take. It's not worth missing your flight.
And make reservations ahead of time. Not every restaurant is open during the day. And during shows and conventions they are often fully booked.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:49 pm
Emma's is a really nice, big milchig restaurant, well priced. It's also a few blocks away from Westfield old orchard- a beautiful outdoor mall with a feeling of strolling the streets of Italy, (think cobble stones, benches, little water bridge, fountain...)and also has an outdoor playground for your toddler.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:49 pm
I've been to Shallot's for lunch and enjoyed. It depends on you though. I certainly appreciate good food, but as you've probably gathered, that's not the focus of my travels. When I read TR's that consist of pictures of all the dishes they ate, I laugh.

If I want to go out to lots of new restaurants, I have that in my NYC backyard. Personally, I'd rather do something that's quintessential Chicago, which would be downtown. Parking is extremely difficult there, though you can prereserve a place in a lot through Spothero or Parkwhiz. Otherwise, check if there are lockers you can rent at the airport to stash your carry-ons, and then Uber back and forth.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics