Home

Scranton as destination for quick inexpensive vacation?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


jf




 
 
 


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 11:48 am
We'd like to go away for a few days in August and are considering Scranton. We're looking to drive no more than 3 hours from Central NJ, a place with at least one kosher eatery, and a place with some nice outdoor activities and maybe a museum or two.
What do you think?

Thank you.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 11:52 am
We’ve gone to Scranton a few times, with my husbands family. The kids all loved it. There are some nice parks, creeks, etc. if you’re into that, I believe there’s a meat or chicken processing plant that you can take a tour of. Don’t know about museums, cuz we don’t do that stuff with his family.
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 12:04 pm
nay aug park
everhart museum
houdini museum
steam town
no kosher eatery yeshivah has food
Back to top

amother




Denim


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
nay aug park
everhart museum
houdini museum
steam town
no kosher eatery yeshivah has food


Is there a kosher grocery?
Where are Shuls for minyanim?
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 12:08 pm
I don't think there's a kosher restaurant, though I believe there's a pizza place in a nearby town that's open 2-3 times a week. If you do go, you absolutely must go to Ricketts Glen State Park! The Steam Town train museum and (optional) train ride is nice, and the Houdini museum + magic show is cute. There's also the Lackawanna Coal Mine tour, which is very interesting.
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 11:39 pm
Kosher pizza place is in Kingston-about 20 minutes away.Open 2 days a week, may be different in summer. Kingston also has a fleishy place opened (as of now) on tuesday evenings.

Kosher grocery is the Yeshiva co-op
Minyanim are in the yeshiva (if bein hazmanim, may not be) and at least 2 shuls daily.
For tourist info, try www.visitnepa.org
For the number for the kosher chicken factory tour, pm me
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 11:43 pm
If you happen to have an interesting psak like ours, that you have to keep cy in town but not out of town, then you should stop by the kosher krispy kreme! It's heaven!
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 


Post  Tue, May 07 2019, 11:53 pm
We have 2 Ritas ices here too under hechsher, but not cy
And a kosher bakery
And one large grocery store that sells kosher bagels and has a semi decent kosher section
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 6:59 am
My husband liked it. I can ask him what they did
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 8:07 am
Shuls are
Machzekei hadass
Ohev zedek
Beth shalom
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 8:17 am
doctorima wrote:
I don't think there's a kosher restaurant, though I believe there's a pizza place in a nearby town that's open 2-3 times a week. If you do go, you absolutely must go to Ricketts Glen State Park! The Steam Town train museum and (optional) train ride is nice, and the Houdini museum + magic show is cute. There's also the Lackawanna Coal Mine tour, which is very interesting.

Oh, the coal mine, I forgot about that!! My kids had a great time!! Make sure you bring a sweatshirt though, cuz it gets cold down there.
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:35 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Shuls are
Machzekei hadass
Ohev zedek
Beth shalom


Ohev zedek generally only has minyan shabbos and sunday
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:38 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Oh, the coal mine, I forgot about that!! My kids had a great time!! Make sure you bring a sweatshirt though, cuz it gets cold down there.


Tour is GREAT! if you forget the sweatshirt, they have jackets you can wear for the tour.

There is also the Anthracite museum right near the coal mine tour.

Both are located in a McDade park-which is nice too.
Back to top

amother




Copper


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 6:06 pm
A new Aquarium just opened in Scranton Steamtown mall and if you have little kids there is a really nice playarea called Bees Backyard which is also in the mall. And there is lots too do nature related in the nearby Poconos area.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 6:26 pm
Ricketts glen is gorgeous but not for very young.
Hickory run boulder field I think is nearby and is fantastic.
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 7:53 pm
Ricketts Glen is definitely not for small children (though we've done it with a baby in a child carrier on DH's back), but I don't think OP mentioned little children, just that she wanted a getaway with nice outdoor activities. Hickory Run Boulder Field is another excellent option though.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 8:30 pm
doctorima wrote:
Ricketts Glen is definitely not for small children (though we've done it with a baby in a child carrier on DH's back), but I don't think OP mentioned little children, just that she wanted a getaway with nice outdoor activities. Hickory Run Boulder Field is another excellent option though.


We did it with a baby in carrier. Youngest hiker was 5. It was a bit on the young side but she did fine. I would not take a younger child. Some parts were really scary!
Back to top

sky




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 8:32 pm
If you want an amusement park our favorite one is knoebels. It’s not so near Scranton but worth the drive.
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 09 2019, 11:01 pm
sky wrote:
If you want an amusement park our favorite one is knoebels. It’s not so near Scranton but worth the drive.


Agree totally with this one. It's our favorite too. !.5 hour drive though.
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:33 am
Sheraton hotel u can walk to ohevtzedeck or the yeshivah
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Coffee Makers, need a good one, but inexpensive
by amother
5 Yesterday at 9:49 am View last post
Italy vacation
by amother
1 Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:14 pm View last post
Need help planning Colorado Vacation
by amother
23 Mon, Jul 15 2019, 1:03 pm View last post
Shabbos near scranton
by amother
8 Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:53 pm View last post
Europe (maybe Israel vacation)
by amother
17 Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:09 pm View last post

Jump to: