Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o new mishpacha jr serial
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I look it like someone suffering from depression or anxiety. You wouldn't tell someone suffering from depression that their feelings or thoughts are sick. You wouldn't tell them they were born not normal. They are struggling with something, and relationships like this are actually much more common than you think; and is just taboo. Remember talking about depression and anxiety were once taboo too.

You can't fix problems when you're too busy feeling like a terrible person for being born into a struggle.

But it happens to kids too! Why can't kids know to be careful about relationships. Just like we teach them to be careful about so much more things.

They can, as long as you're not glorifying the relationship, which is what this installment of the serial did.

It's fine to have such a serial but after every chapter there should be a disclaimer that this relationship is not normal and if you are in such a relationship you need help

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:01 pm
ectomorph wrote:
They can, as long as you're not glorifying the relationship, which is what this installment of the serial did.

It's fine to have such a serial but after every chapter there should be a disclaimer that this relationship is not normal and if you are in such a relationship you need help

Why don't you e-mail mishpacha. Maybe they can even give you the e-mail of the therapists and rabbanim who make sure it's okay to print.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:08 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
The chapter posted on this thread is one of the more innocent less expressive ones. The first or maybe it was second was far worse. Describing the ‘electric feelings’ and ‘intense emotions’ she felt, ‘the secret’ both girls share, the relationship nearly destroyed her relationship with her best friend for years, made her neglect her job & even her health (staying up all night whispering under her covers on the phone), she also explicitly told the new friend ‘she feels something’ & the friend said ‘that’s bec something happened’. In a later installment friend comes to her house, and she knows her mom will find it strange that they’re spending hours huddling on the couch whispering together, as opposed to the normal way she’s act when other friends visited...

Dunno, it’s creepy. Not sure if it’s le-sbian, but it doesn’t sound good.

Can someone post previous chapters?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:21 pm
I don't subscribe to Mishpacha so I doubt they care what I think. Everyone else I know does though. I'm a stubborn Yated only person

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:27 pm
Here’s a part of this week’s, from their site:

At that moment, Ahuva gave a sharp turn away from the photographer and gazed directly at me. A wave of nausea engulfed me. She squinted, giving an almost imperceptible nod.

My eyes filled.

Smile, my brain screamed. Your best friend is getting married!

I tried. But instead of basking in happiness, like the group of ecstatic friends in the lobby, I was crushed by an overwhelming sadness. I escaped the ballroom quickly, rushing to the powder room. Locking myself into a stall, I sagged against the wall, pressing tissues to my eyes.

I don’t know how long I stood there, sobbing quietly and ruining my makeup. I knew I had to return to the hall. The wedding would proceed, and I couldn’t miss it. Collect yourself, I scolded my stormy emotions. What’s wrong with you?

Eventually, after fixing my makeup and practicing a smile, I reentered the hall. Forcing myself into a state of numbness, I approached Ahuva to wish her mazel tov.

So much for trying. The moment Ahuva reached for my hand, the tears started flowing with a vengeance. I’d always smirked when I watched a kallah’s friend getting all emotional at the kabalas panim. It was so not my type. I was a mature, no-nonsense girl, macho even. I didn’t do all this girlie fluff stuff, I didn’t do drama.

But this was Ahuva, and with Ahuva around, I wasn’t me. I was a different person, a person I didn’t recognize. A person who thought and acted and felt in ways that surprised me.

A person I was ashamed to be.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:27 pm
Anyway I'd love to see previous chapters

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:10 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Do you think people are reading this and thinking this is a healthy relationship??? Isn't it obvious that it is unhealthy without printing a disclaimer? (Not to mention that the story isn't over yet and most likely the unhealthy nature if the relationship will become even more obvious by the end.)

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I'm confused.
You're obsessed with your female friends
and can't live without her
and meet her secretly
and are upset she's getting married to a guy?

I never said disgusting. I said not appropriate for kids to read.

Feh, you people have such dirty minds.
It's totally normal for friends to feel they're losing something when their good friend gets engaged, even in a regular healthy friendship.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:48 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Feh, you people have such dirty minds.
It's totally normal for friends to feel they're losing something when their good friend gets engaged, even in a regular healthy friendship.

When u put those 4 things together, it's problematic.

Its normal to love ur friends. Not to be obsessed. I love my friends but I don't meet them secretly or feel a secret connection and I'm thrilled when they get married.

happyness

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:49 pm
Urban gypsy and ectomorph, I'm totally with you on this one.
I think that those that don't see the issue with this, have no clue what erotica means.

I can totally see this to be triggering.

'...she looked at me, breathing heavily...'....hellllooooo????

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:51 pm
delicious wrote:
Urban gypsy and ectomorph, I'm totally with you on this one.
I think that those that don't see the issue with this, have no clue what erotica means.

I can totally see this to be triggering.

Yeah, we're all totally sheltered and naive, don't even know what erotica means Banging head

zohar

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:24 pm
Ok, so I'm going to side with ectomorph on this. I'm not saying that this isn't an important issue to address. I think it is. I'm not saying that this was a l*sbian affair. There is no way to know this. But, the style it is written in is definitely leaning in the direction of erotica. Specifically the [inappropriate] fanfiction style. Just because it's obvious it's an unhealthy relationship it's written in a way that is exciting. They taboo type of exciting. It's obvious that 60 shades of grey is an unhealthy relationship, (not comparing the two), but tons of people loved reading it precisely because of the dark allure to it. I'm not even sure the author is doing this purposely or not. Also, it's important to be aware that not everyone has a subscription, and some will only read one chapter out of context, where it's not as obvious that this is a cautionary tale.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:31 pm
There is a difference between "clean romance" and erotica, and if it doesn't have anything explicitly s*xual, it's not erotica. The "fanfiction style" is also sometimes called just plain bad amateur writing.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
There is a difference between "clean romance" and erotica, and if it doesn't have anything explicitly s*xual, it's not erotica. The "fanfiction style" is also sometimes called just plain bad amateur writing.

Someone said the first or second chapter had heavy breathing, so I'd love if someone would screen shot that. Would go a long way to figuring out if this is an innocent mistake.

happyness

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:57 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Someone said the first or second chapter had heavy breathing, so I'd love if someone would screen shot that. Would go a long way to figuring out if this is an innocent mistake.
\

That was me. I actually quoted the heavy breathing from the picture put onto this thread. I don't read the mishpacha. (not purposely, just I enjoy the Ami more)

Many of us know what an unhealthy relationship is. As an adult, it's easier to steer clear from these feelings with awareness than a teenager. And as adult reading that one picture posted, it seems that even if they are showing it's unhealthy, it's definitely making for an exciting and alluring read.

Which should not be for teens.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:59 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Heavy breathing is far from explicit s*xuality. To put it bluntly, do you think anyone is aroused by this story?

happyness

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:02 pm
Heavy breathing is far from explicit s*xuality. To put it bluntly, do you think anyone is aroused by this story?

I've only read one part, but if this is the way the story is written weekly, then yes, I wouldn't rule that out.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:03 pm
delicious wrote:
I've only read one part, but if this is the way the story is written weekly, then yes, I wouldn't rule that out.

It takes quite a stretch of the imagination to get that with "heavy breathing" alone, with no other details that could sway it to any interpretation other than plain nervousness.

happyness

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:03 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
The chapter posted on this thread is one of the more innocent less expressive ones. The first or maybe it was second was far worse. Describing the ‘electric feelings’ and ‘intense emotions’ she felt, ‘the secret’ both girls share, the relationship nearly destroyed her relationship with her best friend for years, made her neglect her job & even her health (staying up all night whispering under her covers on the phone), she also explicitly told the new friend ‘she feels something’ & the friend said ‘that’s bec something happened’. In a later installment friend comes to her house, and she knows her mom will find it strange that they’re spending hours huddling on the couch whispering together, as opposed to the normal way she’s act when other friends visited...

Dunno, it’s creepy. Not sure if it’s le-sbian, but it doesn’t sound good.

This.

Not that electric feelings mean definitely s-xual. But when it comes along with all this hiding, and this obsession....

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:04 pm

Lesbians would be.

But my issue is more that it seems to glorify the unhealthy relationship.
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room