Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o new mishpacha jr serial
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:40 pm
May I suggest you write to Jr. and tell them?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:53 pm
I don't see anything wrong with most of the serial, but the very first instalment said that they had a shared secret. Ahuva asked her if she has the same secret, and it was her first time admitting it to anyone.

Does anyone else remember that. What secret are they referring to???

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:57 pm
Sounds like they are having a real love affair. I find it disgusting.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:59 pm
Amother cobalt, maybe it's just not written well but it's put down in a real bad way. Like they can't live without each others, think about each others all day, and are so excited to finally see each others and spend time together. And the fact that she's hiding the relationship from her mom. This is highly inappropriate writing for a frum magazine.

Emotional

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:00 pm
Something about the story puzzles me. Why does the narrator's friend need to hide the friendship from her mother? (sorry, I forgot the characters' names)

Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:07 pm
Agree with all the above, it def doesn’t belong in the kids & teens magazine (which is the same magazine), its making me very uncomfortable. I also don’t like the place it’s heading. Seems like this friendship may ruin the engaged girls marriage.
Would be a great serial for the woman’s magazine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:04 pm
Btw I don't think it's bad that they're writing it- I'm just very surprised. Perhaps it's good to include this material so girls can read it and learn from it if it's applicable to them and the message ends up being a good one (but I don't think it belongs in the Jr magazine).

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:44 pm
delete

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:16 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Amother cobalt, maybe it's just not written well but it's put down in a real bad way. Like they can't live without each others, think about each others all day, and are so excited to finally see each others and spend time together. And the fact that she's hiding the relationship from her mom. This is highly inappropriate writing for a frum magazine.

It's in the TEENS. Not the Jr!
But this happens.
To teens.
In real life.
In the frum world.

Especially in the frum world. In a society that can take out the internet, take out boyfriends or meeting people in other ways and you are literally stuck with your friends from school and camp if your family is abusive. And this can really happen.

I know too many people.

To me the amount of people saying how sick this is; is showing how there's NOT enough material on this topic out there! If you don't like it; cut it out before you give it to your kids. It's technically the teens section; you can say you thought it wasn't age appropriate.

Honestly at age 8 I found the Family First and Mishpacha more interesting than Jr. and I was reading those cover to cover; so do all my siblings and most kids I know. Most adults I know read teen pages and Jr.

iammom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:18 pm
I’ve been following the serial and that hasn’t crossed my mind at all! I’m no sheltered girl and my mind ain’t completely clean but all I saw was a very unhealthy relationship.

One girl craves and loves the attention and the other one craves and loves giving attention.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:20 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with most of the serial, but the very first instalment said that they had a shared secret. Ahuva asked her if she has the same secret, and it was her first time admitting it to anyone.

Does anyone else remember that. What secret are they referring to???

They never disclosed it. It is a true story I think; and the secret may have been something they didn't want to share or wasn't appropriate.

As a writer I think you can write about anything; it just depends how. This serial doesn't show any details of their talks or too many specific scenarios. It shows a lot of the big picture generally which is so it doesn't create copycat behaviour or sounds too scary and teach the lesson in a proper way.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:21 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

Why?
Why can't you write about real issues teens deal with in the teen magazine?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:21 pm
Loveshashem, the teen and kids magazine is one thing. You can't tell a child to not read that section.
And the story isn't about teens, it's about adult girls.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:32 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
delete

Bizarre. And I am far from sheltered.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:53 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Loveshashem, the teen and kids magazine is one thing. You can't tell a child to not read that section.
And the story isn't about teens, it's about adult girls.

You do have a point there.
But although you feel that way; Mishpacha doesn't make rash decisions. It takes months for a short story to get evaluated, a serial takes much longer. They take it to therapists and rabbanim to see if it's matim.

Also Mishpacha HAS cut serials due to backlash. They're had serials that have run 2-3 chapters before getting pulled due to serious backlash.

So this was definitely a calculated decision. And I guess there wasn't enough backlash to get it pulled. You don't know what the ending will be....

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:19 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
You're right cnc. Something about this story just doesn't sit right with me. You can write about unhealthy relationships in a more tasteful & better way.

Everyone should listen to their instincts. That l gbt managed to get their agenda into mishpacha doesn't shock me. I'm surprised that the editor was either not aware enough to take out out, or didn't care.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

She is hiding it from her mother beacuse she has a history of unhealthy relationships. Im actually all for the story, I like all the details and creepy red flags. Girls in high school and sleep away camp are so susceptible to falling into unhealthy/emotionally abusive relationships. I think its a great awareness story. Regardless of the ages of the characters its an issue thats extremely applicable to teens.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:19 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Everyone should listen to their instincts. That l gbt managed to get their agenda into mishpacha doesn't shock me. I'm surprised that the editor was either not aware enough to take out out, or didn't care.

Even if it is about lesbians, it's not the "LGBT" agenda at all. The lesson of the story will be that one should stay away from the dangers.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:57 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
You do have a point there.
But although you feel that way; Mishpacha doesn't make rash decisions. It takes months for a short story to get evaluated, a serial takes much longer. They take it to therapists and rabbanim to see if it's matim.

Also Mishpacha HAS cut serials due to backlash. They're had serials that have run 2-3 chapters before getting pulled due to serious backlash.

So this was definitely a calculated decision. And I guess there wasn't enough backlash to get it pulled. You don't know what the ending will be....

I have a feeling there wasnt much backlash because it was in the kids magazine not the adult. Aduts are the ones who complain and wrote letters about inappropriate content and many adults don't read the kids/teens section. I know I don't, and I now realize that it's a big mistake. I am horrified that my middle school kids are reading this! This may be fine for high schoolers but the magazine is read much more by younger teens/preteens

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:01 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I have a feeling there wasnt much backlash because it was in the kids magazine not the adult. Aduts are the ones who complain and wrote letters about inappropriate content and many adults don't read the kids/teens section. I know I don't, and I now realize that it's a big mistake. I am horrified that my middle school kids are reading this! This may be fine for high schoolers but the magazine is read much more by younger teens/preteens

But why? What are you so horrified about?

I honestly don't get the gay connection at all. I mean, obviously, that could be the case in such scenarios as well. But there's no reason that unhealthy relationships can't be just that - unhealthy relationships. We all know of such examples. Why not teach it to our kids too before they fall into it?

If they are sheltered, they guaranteed won't think of such connections. And if they aren't - well they know about these things any way (Though I know about these things and would never dream of that here, think it's actually rather creepy to suspect that every unhealthy relationship has this aspect to it.)
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room