Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o new mishpacha jr serial
  Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:04 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
delete

You're sure this was printed in Mishpacha? I really do question their judgement. And in the teens section, not the adults?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:06 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
But why? What are you so horrified about?

I honestly don't get the gay connection at all. I mean, obviously, that could be the case in such scenarios as well. But there's no reason that unhealthy relationships can't be just that - unhealthy relationships. We all know of such examples. Why not teach it to our kids too before they fall into it?

If they are sheltered, they guaranteed won't think of such connections. And if they aren't - well they know about these things any way (Though I know about these things and would never dream of that here, think it's actually rather creepy to suspect that every unhealthy relationship has this aspect to it.)

This depicts an unhealthy relationship between 2 adults not kids or teens. It's not appropriate for kids. Write about kid relationships in a kids magazine. Th is story would be appropriate in the family first

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:14 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
This depicts an unhealthy relationship between 2 adults not kids or teens. It's not appropriate for kids. Write about kid relationships in a kids magazine. Th is story would be appropriate in the family first

And if they would be 4 years younger and in school instead of work then it would be ok?
The message is so so applicable to teens. I dont get the outrage.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:38 pm
It's awful. I'm ok with addressing the topic. Not in a serial. In an article that has a clear plan of action.

This story only serves to glorify unhealthy relationships.

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:42 pm
The way it's written makes the relationship sound exciting. I'm baffled.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
It's awful. I'm ok with addressing the topic. Not in a serial. In an article that has a clear plan of action.

This story only serves to glorify unhealthy relationships.

Excellent point. I think you hit the nail.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:45 pm
Stars wrote:
The way it's written makes the relationship sound exciting. I'm baffled.

Sure it seems exciting, but it's clearly at the expense of everything else in her life.

You can say these arguments about every serial - it always 'glorifies' the topic until it reaches the fallout. So either you like them or you don't. But, reading just one juicy instalment posted isn't enough to know the whole story...

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:46 pm
Amother chatreuse, there's a difference between 2 middle school and high school girls having an unhealthy relationship, to 2 adults having an unhealthy relationship. In a kids/teen magazine they should write about kids and teens.

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:48 pm
Sure it seems exciting, but it's clearly at the expense of everything else in her life.

You can say these arguments about every serial - it always 'glorifies' the topic until it reaches the fallout. So either you like them or you don't. But, reading just one juicy instalment posted isn't enough to know the whole story...

Are you the author?

I read the whole thing.

You say it comes at the expense of everything else. Is an average teen going to see that? I don't think so.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:56 pm
Stars wrote:
Are you the author?

I guess I take that as a compliment.

Though it's not very nice to insinuate that if someone claims to like the serial, they must be connected to the author.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:03 pm
cnc wrote:
Excellent point. I think you hit the nail.

Thanks, cnc!

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:05 pm
I guess I take that as a compliment.

Though it's not very nice to insinuate that if someone claims to like the serial, they must be connected to the author.

You didn't claim to like it. You highly defended it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
delete

This is really not ok for the teen pages especially since they're in the booklet with the kids section. I'm honestly confused but I guess that's what happens when you only read chapter 8 Smile

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:10 pm
Stars wrote:
You didn't claim to like it. You highly defended it.

And therefore? I don't get your point.

It's just as outlandish as saying that you must have a big personal grudge against the writer and that's why you're criticising her work.

Everyone has a right to an opinion even if it is different to yours.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:59 pm
Why hasn't there been a huge backlash? People just haven't seen it?

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:04 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I thought I’m old fashioned and it’s just plain weird but now I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:33 pm
I think this is amazing for being in teen magazine .. especially since this girl is a teacher who could have easily attached herself to a student instead of a friend .. I know someone that happened to and the teacher ruined this girls life she was obsessed with her student in a very unhealthy way .. teens should be aware of this issue! Thank you Mishpacha for printing this!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:13 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I'm also defending it and I'm not the writer.
Not enough backlash it seems or they would have pulled it.
I am a writer I do know Mishpacha takes months to review things and reviews them over with rabbi's and therapists too and even SO things sometimes get pulled by backlash.

Lately there's a lot of young adult stories and information in teen pages. Things about shidduchim and find careers where the characters or people are 20 and 21.

This is a true story, so perhaps they preferred to keep it to the facts and the girls at the time were 20 and 21. But the same stories happen in a high school setting.

There's nothing s-xual about it. It's not glorifying it at all - it shows how it's costing her her other good friends, relationship with her mother, her sleep, her work. It shows how she feels weird and she feels disgusting she's sharing private information with someone she just met.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:58 pm
Stars wrote:
Are you the author?

I read the whole thing.

You say it comes at the expense of everything else. Is an average teen going to see that? I don't think so.

I don't see how anyone can miss this when reading the story. It's quite obvious (I've read all the chapters) that this relationship is causing many other problems in her life. My 13 year old DD got this point on her own with no trouble.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:15 am
These kinds of friendships/relationships are so common in our all girl environments. There is nothing s-xual about them, although I understand that to outsiders it may seem so.
It would've been great for me to read about it as a teen, actually. Was dealing with this stuff from 13 onwards.
Page 3 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room