Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Pedestrians please wait ON the sidewalk for the light

bobeli

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:48 am
this is something that it has been getting worse in the last few months so I decided to post about it.
I see it more in bp, pedestrians wait on the street, sometimes in the middle of the road to cross the street when the traffic has a green light.
Please use the sidewalk and tell all the young people walking to do it too, its very dangerous as the drivers don't always see you standing there. It doesn't save more than 2 seconds from the crossing time and it's not worth it.
I allow seen an increase of people not even stopping or looking for cars and just crossing the street even if they have a don't walk signal, this is sometimes with strollers or little kids in tow.
If you don't drive is harder for you to understand the dangers, so just wait on the curb and instruct your children to do as well.
please be more careful
thank you

Shabbosiscoming

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:54 am
I seriously thought I wrote this post. I had to double check the name.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:05 pm
When I'm walking I get really annoyed at drivers and when I'm driving I get really annoyed at pedestrians. No one obeys traffic signs anymore or gives right of way to those who are supposed to have it.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:15 pm
recently I heard an actor talking on tv how it's actually legal to hit pedestrians in new york ... that was the impression he got from all the driving chaos there

jokes aside it is quite frightening walking or in a car there ... nobody looks

dovy

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:30 pm
Thanks for posting. I hope people look at this and think about it.
We are form out of New York, and I don't zoom down the streets. I was once driving down a street off 13th ave and I almost hit a woman with her stroller. It was so scary. It was green for me, and I was about to cross the intersection, and she starts walking across the street. Why do people do that? I almost banged Into her stroller. People need to have just a drop more patience. My husband felt like screaming at her, "why are you putting your kids at risk by just walking the stroller into the street"! It gets us so upset when people act this way and don't think! Yes, even drivers sometimes don't have patience, but people have to look out for themselves and be smart when walking!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:59 pm
What drives ME crazy are the women (and they are invariably women) who stand safely on the sidewalk or at least close enough to the curb to be safe, with strollers pushed out ahead of them. What, is the baby the canary in the coal mine; if no one hits the stroller, it must be safe to cross.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
What drives ME crazy are the women (and they are invariably women) who stand safely on the sidewalk or at least close enough to the curb to be safe, with strollers pushed out ahead of them. What, is the baby the canary in the coal mine; if no one hits the stroller, it must be safe to cross.

OMG I was just coming to post this. It's mind boggling.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Exactly. They think that by pushing the stroller out into traffic, that automatically gives them the right of way, regardless of what color the light is.

bsy

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:50 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I always honk at those people.

trixx

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:11 pm
Williamsburg is the absolute worst. Baby strollers in the middle of the street, during my green.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:45 pm
I wish local hatzalah would have a campaign, taking each woman who doesn't drive on a ride in the front seat of a vehicle, to have an inside view of how dangerous it is for pedestrians even waiting just a bit off the sidewalk.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:49 pm
I think this problem is really the most prominent among those who aren't drivers themselves. They can't really understand the dangers from a driver's perspective, since they've never been behind the wheel. I have a family member who doesn't drive and his pedestrian habits are so so dangerous. He just doesn't get it. I also almost hit a pedestrian this week. BH he jumped back at the last second but it's so scary every time it happens.

yksraya

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:37 pm
I think it's something parents should teach the kids. I always tell my kids we have to wait for the walk signal. Sometimes they ask me why that other mommy crossed when it wasn't safe yet. I take it as an opportunity to talk about doing what's right and to wait a minute longer because it's the safe thing to do.

Sometimes when I go to willi, I've had that little kids came over to me and asked me to help them cross. Aside from the danger of letting your kids approaching complete strangers, it's also part of the problem. No one teaches those kids how to safely cross a street. How should they know it all by themselves. Not everyone is street smart. If your kid is old enough to go anywhere on his own, he is old enough to be taught how to cross safely.

itsmeima

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:22 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
When I'm walking I get really annoyed at drivers and when I'm driving I get really annoyed at pedestrians. No one obeys traffic signs anymore or gives right of way to those who are supposed to have it.

I couldn't agree more - we need to work together!

honeymoon

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:36 pm
The first time I walked out on the street as a new mom, I carelessly pushed my stroller ahead of me. A guy rolled down his window and yelled bloody murder. At first I was annoyed but then I realized that he was 100 percent right! Since then I lock my stroller on the curb, walk in front of it to check for approaching vehicles and then proceed to cross. Thank you, anonymous, irate yet responsible driver!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:32 pm
This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
While living in Williamsburg it made my blood pressure go up just taking a walk outside.
Especially the strollers pushed out into the street.
I usually swing the stroller to the side and then a drop more and then I stick my head out. But only on a quiet street. On Bedford Ave I just wait for the light....

Another thing that drives me insane is mothers not straping kids into their strollers.
I'll never forget, when I was a kid, a mother forgot to strap her kid and the kid flew out when she forcefully pulled back her stroller. The kid flew and was hit and r"l squashed in a fender bended between 2 cars.....

Oh, and while we're at it, DON'T bump your kids up the stairs in the stroller!!! EVER.

I have heard of too many crazy stories.
My sister once stayed with the handles of her Maclaren while the stroller and baby bumped down the 2 stairs. Nothing happened bh but it was a good lesson.
A relative of mine wasn't so lucky. Sje bumped her infant up a flight of stairs only to stay with the handle bar in her hand at the top of the stairs and her baby and stroller tumbling down.... (expensive stokke stroller)
The child's eyes where shut swollen for a week and face all messed up. Luckily there was no brain damage.....

Iirc, most strollers come with a warning not to bump it up stairs and the warrantee doesn't cover damage from that kind of abuse.

Either take your baby out. Or if the stroller is lightweight enough, lift the whole stroller with the baby.
(Another reason why I loved my bugaboo Bee. So so lightweight)

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:39 am
What SixofWands said. How stupid are these women? To make matters worse, half of them are gabbing on cell phones at the same time.

A bill has been proposed in NYS to make it illegal to use a cell phone while crossing the street. I vote passionately in favor.

zaq

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:40 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Can't "like" this enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries