Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help sensory boy find pants - recommendation

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:44 pm
Hello,

My son is 7 and only wears soft pants, like terry cloth, fleece or sweat pants. For him to wear it it needs to be soft and have an elastic waste.

If it isn't this way he refuses to wear it. Bribery and all the other usual methods don't work with this sensory boy. He will get into full anxiety attacks saying the clothes are hurting him. We have similar issue with dress shirts. Any stiff material becomes intolerable for him.

In his toddler and preschool years it wasn't difficult to dress him soft "play" pants. Now that he is older I'm struggling to find pants that are appropriate for school and shul but still soft and comfortable. Size is boys M or a 8/10.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

From,
Mom of sweet sensory boy.

Surrendered

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:49 pm
I have two such sensory boys. The only pants they're willing to wear is: Guivianni Uomo (from The Man with the Truck). PM me for more information.

Seashell

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello,

My son is 7 and only wears soft pants, like terry cloth, fleece or sweat pants. For him to wear it it needs to be soft and have an elastic waste.

If it isn't this way he refuses to wear it. Bribery and all the other usual methods don't work with this sensory boy. He will get into full anxiety attacks saying the clothes are hurting him. We have similar issue with dress shirts. Any stiff material becomes intolerable for him.

In his toddler and preschool years it wasn't difficult to dress him soft "play" pants. Now that he is older I'm struggling to find pants that are appropriate for school and shul but still soft and comfortable. Size is boys M or a 8/10.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

From,
Mom of sweet sensory boy.

Not sure what’s appropriate in your circles, but gap, h&m, and Zara all have soft jogger pants, maybe u could get away with the black or navy ones.

Kumphort

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:02 pm
My son wore these forever.

They have better stock when it gets closer to school. Elastic waist. No cargo pockets. Some years they are fully lined. Cheap!
They were perfect for school

I see I forgot the link
Check out this item at Target https://www.target.com/p/boys-.....19307

Last edited by Kumphort on Mon, May 20 2019, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:14 pm
My son is wearing the same style pants from the same Canadian company that boys wear for
Shabbos. He tried it on in kindergarden in one of the frum stores and ever since ( he is 10) we up the size and he has five of which he uses seven days a week.
He is highly sensory.
Shopping means trying on shirts in stores and buying one comfortable shirt multiple times.
(There were times when he changed his mind at home and we simply gave away the clothing
and tried again. No we did not spoil him for those who dont know the sensory struggle.)
Life gets easier as he literally almost shops himself, with one of us standing on the side as he touches and feels out clothing in the store, and doesnt get it wrong anymore.
The rebbeim literally see him in "uniform" each day.
Good luck and trust your instinct. No one else is raising your child and knows what he is all about.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 7:51 pm
Have you checked out target? They have a cat and jack line now for kids with different needs. No personal experience but it seems they try to account for sensory issues along with medical needs. I think it has no tags, special seams, and I think they have a jogger/sweat pants version.
Best part is that you can order online and return easily. Target brand clothing also has a 1 year defect guarantee- meaning if the knees rip they will replace if they have a record of the purchase (receipt or the card it was bought on. Doesnt have to be a target card). They won't replace if it was due to being negligent like stains or scizzors. Super helpful in my opinion!

aricelli

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
My son is wearing the same style pants from the same Canadian company that boys wear for
Shabbos. He tried it on in kindergarden in one of the frum stores and ever since ( he is 10) we up the size and he has five of which he uses seven days a week.
He is highly sensory.
Shopping means trying on shirts in stores and buying one comfortable shirt multiple times.
(There were times when he changed his mind at home and we simply gave away the clothing
and tried again. No we did not spoil him for those who dont know the sensory struggle.)
Life gets easier as he literally almost shops himself, with one of us standing on the side as he touches and feels out clothing in the store, and doesnt get it wrong anymore.
The rebbeim literally see him in "uniform" each day.
Good luck and trust your instinct. No one else is raising your child and knows what he is all about.

Its funny- my son also likes the canadian shabbos pants. Even more he loves the pull on pants sold in the jewish stores with no button and an elastic waist- the chambray is especially soft but I only found it up to size seven

Moonlight

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:42 pm
Omg my son is like this too!
The cat and jack pants linked about are sold out in his size.
His OT worked specifically on this issue with him for 3 years and we have seen some improvement
Following!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:51 pm
Thank you for all the wonderful recommendations.

Update:
I tried the Cat and Jack pants - not soft enough for my little guy. He had them on for a minutes with bribery but it was a no.

Guivianni Uomo - I ordered a few variations online and waiting for it to be delivered

H & M - has really nice soft black sweat pants good for school and colder days but not shul.

Moonlight - thank you, I'll ask his OT to help with this issue. I would never have thought that was an OT item until your post. Love this forum Heart

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:08 pm
What about these -- They're jersey

https://www.bodenusa.com/en-us.....4_G19
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)