Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Son always "starving" at school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:40 am
Hi,
I need ideas for my first grader to help keep him full throughout the long day. He complains to the rebbi that he is hungry. He has a bottomless appetite and I worry about his future weight, so while I do let him bring a snack bag, I would like to avoid stuffing him with starches (I once sent a.box of crackers to keep in school for the week, he finished it in one day). It's also socially unacceptable to bring fruit or yogurt. Any ideas for balanced, filling snacks? Thank you!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:50 am
Does he eat a filling breakfast and lunch?
Do they have a set snack time?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:53 am
String cheese? Crackers with those mini chummus or guacamole? Nuts? Kind bars or other protein bars?

More importantly, does he eat a big breakfast?
The days I have eggs in the morning I am less hungry all day and I do that with children as well and it really makes a difference.

I’m sure u know this, but him being hungry will only backfire when it comes to his weight Sad

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:29 am
Is it really socially unacceptable to bring a Clementine? A little container of blueberries? It's one of the best snacks for my kids (though they also need something filling along with that).
What about Stretch Island fruit leather which is equivalent to a fruit or Matt's Munchies or the Gefen squeeze apple sauce? Along with a snack bag that is a bit more filling like popcorners or pretzels? And a cool individual cheese of his choice from the supermarket.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:35 am
Whole grains are more filling than refined. So in the "stuffing him with starches" stuff you are wary of, consider whole wheat pretzels, Triscuits, and Wheat Thins. These are all good with chummus. For a child who has trouble feeling satiated, you need to package all snacks in single portion sizes.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:39 am
Snack bags are not at all filling. I would sooner send a proper sandwich.

Actually I had friends who did that in school. The always hungry types. They would being a second sandwich for snack time. Basically two lunches.

Greenbelle

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:13 am
Is he drinking enough?
A few water bottles would be a good idea.

A snack bag is not filling at all.
if you smash the contents, it would not even fill half your fist.

what about a few applesauce snacks with no added sugar
or sliced apples, bananas,
granola, cheese,

or a whole wheat cheese/creamcheese/tuna/avocado sandwich as a snack
In Israel they have 'aruchat eser' at 10 am, everyone eats a roll with a spread and a choco,
so its not really a strange idea.

its a long day Sad
good luck!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:31 am
ra_mom wrote:
Is it really socially unacceptable to bring a Clementine? A little container of blueberries? It's one of the best snacks for my kids (though they also need something filling along with that).
What about Stretch Island fruit leather which is equivalent to a fruit or Matt's Munchies or the Gefen squeeze apple sauce? Along with a snack bag that is a bit more filling like popcorners or pretzels? And a cool individual cheese of his choice from the supermarket.

I know of a cheider in EY (chareidi) whose rules say that you may not bring a fruit with you if it's an off-season fruit (like watermelon in the middle of the winter because it's exclusive and expensive)
In season fruit not a problem.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
I need ideas for my first grader --- It's also socially unacceptable to bring fruit or yogurt. Any ideas for balanced, filling snacks? Thank you!

Wait a minute. He's in first grade, and he's telling you what food is "socially acceptable"?

That wouldn't fly with me for two seconds. If you're hungry, you'll eat your fruit and yogurt. If not, you can have half of your lunch, and yes there will be fruit and yogurt in your lunch, along with a sandwich and some popcorn. It's normal, healthy food.

6 years old is way too young to be pandering to the opinions of other 6 year olds. It sounds more like something middle school girls would be doing.

Aylat

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:48 am
Vegetable sticks? Whole wheat sandwich? Rice cakes with humous?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:33 pm
I never find yogurts to be that filling....
I would take a closer look at what he's eating for breakfast and lunch. My guess is that it isn't that satisfying....

rachel6543

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:45 pm
Overnight oats? You can search online for lots of overnight oatmeal recipes. Some recipes are made with yogurt. You can add fruit too. An easy, healthy, filling meal/snack.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:59 pm
Protein muffins or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies may be good for him.

mom!

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:00 pm
How about home-made muffins or cookies? You can stuff them with healthy filling things (think yogurt, granola, oats, carrots ect.)

gumby

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:01 pm
Popcorn , pretzels , cheese , healthy muffins

Aylat

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:01 pm
Another idea - boiled egg.

yerushamama

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 3:11 pm
One of my sons was like that a that age - the first thing out of his mouth when he got home was "Mommy, I'm still hungry!" no matter how much he had eaten. He is still super skinny! Don't worry about future weight issues, as long as what you send is generally healthy.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:14 pm
Fat is more filling than carbohydrates. Try to include more healthy fats in his meals.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 8:55 pm
thirst can be mistaken for hunger make sure hes drinking enough

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:01 am
I'm shocked to read that fruit is not considered acceptable. Who says so? Did the school express this sentiment? I sure hope not. How ridiculous! Apples, clementines, pears, blueberries, bananas, whatever.....how do you not allow kids to have that at school? That's exactly what schools should be encouraging kids to bring!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children