Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Almanah desperately in need of Brooklyn apartment

advocate

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:43 pm
Widowed Woman in her 50's with two teenagers with special needs must relocate to Brooklyn from out of state. She can pay $900 to $1000 rent.

I do not live in NY. Can the wonderful Mothers recommend strategies for finding an apartment for her? Though not ideal, even a summer rental could work to establish residency, and then other agency supports will kick in.

Thank you in advance.

simba

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:58 pm
For that money she can’t get a shoebox in NY.
Sorry. A tiny one bedroom in any normal area is well over $1500. I assume she needs 2 bedrooms so she needs at least $2000 monthly for rent.

crust

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:02 pm
When you say agencies will kick in what does that mean?

advocate

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:05 pm
When I said "kick in", I didn't mean financially. I meant that various supports for her children with special needs cannot even be applied for until she has residency in NY.

karat

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:12 pm
There’s a support group for widows that is based in Brooklyn.
You could try to contact them to see if they have any ideas for you.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:18 pm
For that amount in NY she can rent a furnished bathroom( minus the towels and bathtub).

Which neighborhood is she looking into?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:54 pm
She needs NYC services for her children? Or does it have to be Brooklyn? See if she can get a studio apartment on Staten Island for that price. There are buses that travel to and from Brooklyn to SI.

If it must be Brooklyn, she may be able to get a furnished one bedroom basement apartment for $1400.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:23 am
This is not a realistic plan. You can occasionally find a studio basement for $1200 in some parts of Brooklyn but that's really bottom of the barrel.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:07 am
This will give you an idea of what she can get in her price range: https://newyork.craigslist.org.....dates

Mostly a single bedroom to rent within a shared apartment, and mostly not in the greatest areas. While I hope something works out for her, it's more than very unlikely that she won't be able to find something adequate within her price range.

Maybe a different strategy is needed; does she work? Can she job hunt before she moves so she can afford more? Does she have schools for the kids here? Does she or the kids collect SSI?

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:53 am
please pm. I will try to help you.

mirror

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:23 am
My friend is renting out a basement for $1100. New York State is not giving out rental assistance even if she establishes residency here.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:33 am
mirror wrote:
My friend is renting out a basement for $1100. New York State is not giving out rental assistance even if she establishes residency here.

The OP said they are trying to get special ed services for the children from NYC, not rental assistance.

advocate

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:53 am
Thank you to all the respondents in this thread! Hotzenplotz, thank you--
Burgundy, good idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries