Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tortecollis

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:47 am
Anyone had experience with a child that had tortecollis and was completely cured with therapy? My therapist told me this is the best my child will be and his head is still tilted.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:51 am
My child received pt as a baby for this and has no head tilt. Did you check the childs eyes? Sometimes if one eye drifts up the child will tilt the head the other way to compensate.

EsaEinai

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:53 am
One of my children had torticollis. We went to physical therapy a few times a week for several months and did exercises at home daily. Bh it totally straightened out.

What did your doctor say?
Can you get a second opinion?

How old is your baby? How long have you been doing pt?

Iyh your baby’s neck should straighten completely very soon!!

wife101

I went with my baby - she would not release him until his head was straight and the muscle tension on both sides were the same.

Frenchfry

How old is the child? I had two kids with torticollis, one very pronounced, and both were fully corrected with therapy 3 times a day.

Are you doing twists and bends? The first person I went to, didn't give me as as many exercises as the second one. Maybe try someone else.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:41 am
My baby started therapy at 3 months and bh it's totally healed. Maybe get a second opinion or a different therapist. The baby needs therapy till it'll heal.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:14 pm
Some babies get a disk slipped out of place during delivery.

A friend of mine took her baby to a chiropractor that specializes in this. He had the baby all straightened out in 3 visits, and it never came back.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:22 pm
My kid had it pretty bad.
It corrected itself. No therapy.
Her ped is pretty "hands off" and said to wait till 6 months and see how it progresses. And it got less and less every month. My around 9 months to was completly gone.
She was in a very bad position inutero that caused it.

PT should take care of that. Don't stop PT until it's all healed.

tkren

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:56 pm
My baby had it pretty bad. Did therapy for 3 mths twice a week by dr koplovitch in boro park, therapy in motion and it totally went away

Winterb

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:16 pm
My baby had this and after months of pt he still had a slight tilt. I was told At that point it wasn’t due to muscle tightness but more of a learned preference. My pediatrician wasn’t concerned, and neither were the pts ( I got 2 second opinions!) they said it would straighten out on its own. He’s nine now and his head is perfect!

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:22 pm
My son got pt as an infant and it got completely healed.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:51 pm
My baby had it. She needs OT for other reasons, so the IT worked on it instead of a PT. She is 7 months now and there is no sign of it anymore BH.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:54 pm
The age of your baby makes a big difference. Craniosacral PT can help.

Don't listen to your PT. Torticollis can and should be corrected.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone had experience with a child that had tortecollis and was completely cured with therapy? My therapist told me this is the best my child will be and his head is still tilted.

My son was diagnosed with torticollis at 3 months. He had a bad case. He had PT and OT twice a week until he was 3 years old. Years later, he is perfectly fine. We went to Columbia at 168th Street.

I highly recommend his orthopedist and PT. His OT was also great, but I don't remember her last name. Her first name was Lauren. We got her through Early Intervention, not Columbia.

Pediatric Orthopedist: Joshua Hyman
PT at Columbia: Robin Wynn

Miri7

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:30 pm
My DD had it. Went to PT twice a week, did exercises 3x a day.
We also made her environment so that she’d look up to one side to encourage her to twist that way. We’d hold all the toys or whatnot up so she had to turn in that direction to see them.

It was a ton of work, but she straightened out completely. Her skull isn’t totally symmetrical but you can only tell that if you feel her head.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:39 pm
Dr Tabick helped my 2 children who've had this, he's an amazing doctor.
6908 11 ave in brooklyn.

bet

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:54 pm
My son had really bad tortecollis and a helmet because of flat head. We saw the tilt come back sometimes when he was tired... but I have also checked vision as that can affect a head tilt

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

yes, my now 3 and a half ear old had it and got OT for 40 sessions over 6 months when she was a baby and it's totally healed. People who are in the field can't believe that she really had it.

ETA:We also did the exercises at home.

whewpy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 8:49 am
Definitely get another opinion. Very unusual for this not to be able to be treated fully

miami85

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 11:28 am
One of my kids had it and I tried getting him EI for it as an infant, but they said he didn't qualify. My pediatrician showed me how to stretch his head and neck myself and when he started crawling that also helped. He's 6 now and no sign of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics