Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Dr for tongue tie

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 1:07 pm
So I had my pediatrician check if my baby is tongue tied since he doesn’t like to eat and sure enough the dr confimed it. So now we need to snip it. Anyone had a good experience anywhere?

Also, why can’t it be mandatory for the pedi to check it in the hospital when they check the baby? It would save people a lot of heartache and pain....

anonymrs

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 1:43 pm
We had the best experience with D. Scott Siegel. Could not even tell you what an amazing doctor and human being he is. Pm for more info.

STMommy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 1:55 pm
Dr. Scott Siegel is the master!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:49 pm
Not OP, but does Dr. Siegel only snip for kids, or also adults? DH never had it done and recently mentioned that he would be open to having the procedure if he knew of a good place to go.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:50 pm
Dr. Siegel is supposed to be the best.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:31 pm
Thanks! So he only takes cash so it seems... am I right?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:36 pm
Any pediatric ENT can do it. It's a simple snip. If you have insurance, you may as well find one that is covered.

I had it done to two of my babies. By now I'm the one to tell the nurses at birth to check for it.

nchr

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:56 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Not OP, but does Dr. Siegel only snip for kids, or also adults? DH never had it done and recently mentioned that he would be open to having the procedure if he knew of a good place to go.

He should call his oral surgeon. My cousin is tongue tied - had the procedure twice as an adult because it was causing him cavities but it was unsuccessful both times. It was not always recommended and it is not always necessary as an adult - does he lisp? have a lot of cavities? If not, he may just want to leave it alone.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 4:46 pm
Years ago my son had this I was given
Exercises for him to say
He some how out grew this

STMommy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:06 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Thanks! So he only takes cash so it seems... am I right?

If you mean that you have to pay him completely out of pocket, then yes. But you get the peace of mind knowing that he is doing it with the latest technology, I.e. a laser frenectomy, and, in my case, his personal cell phone number with instructions to call him any time day or night if I had any concerns.

Lillian

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 6:34 pm
Dr. Rosenfeld the ENT snipped my daughters tongue when she was about 4 weeks old. He’s great and highly recommended!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 6:45 pm
I had a baby two months ago and they checked for it in the hospital. My baby has a slight tongue tie that is not affecting his ability to eat.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 6:57 pm
Dr. Seigal in Manhattan
World Renown for CO2 Laser
631-465-0300
No Insurance, but he gives you paper work to file claim.
Call insurance first to find out what you need to be reimbursed, AND get a referral from your pediatrician.

chaya7

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 8:57 pm
Another vote for Dr Siegel! The best and such a mensch. He does adults too.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 10:44 pm
Can anyone give a ballpark figure for what he charges for a standard case?

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 11:22 pm
Thanks for all your responses!

Dr Seigal charges $675 plus $250 for a consult.

I heard Dr Sara Dvorkes does it as well. Did Anyone use her?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:06 am
I highly recommend Dr. Ari Goldsmith who practices with ENT and Allergy associates. For a tongue tied baby they will get you a next day appt.
Was also happy with dr. Dahl in Manhattan but she doesn't accept Medicaid last I checked.
Both are highly recommended by Rivky Schwartz IBCLC

anonymrs

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 9:48 am
It's really important to go to someone who specializes in tongue ties. If the tie is not completely released, the issues will persist. Also, it is essential to do the exercises after the procedure to prevent reattachment. For babies, a lactation consultant can help baby relearn how to use the tongue properly, once revised. For older kids, an SLP can be helpful. For both LC and SLP, it must be someone well versed in ties.

Check out Dr. Bobby Gaheri on youtube or on his website for more information. If you email him, he can sometimes refer you to a doctor in your area who is good for releasing oral ties. (Just posting this for anyone else reading this thread.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 9:54 am
Dr. Goldsmith will not give a next day appointment for tongue tie -- I had to wait 3 weeks. Also, a lactation consultant whom I spoke to told me that she's not happy with the way he snips.

I used Dr. Linda Dahl in Manhattan, but my aunt who is an SLP asked me some questions and then said that she doesn't do proper exercises. I've also seen many people say that Dr. Siegel has to clean up Dr. Dahl's mistakes afterward. At minimum, I'll tell you that neither of my babies was able to nurse properly following the snip.

I went to Dr. Devorkes. I wasn't impressed. I think she's much more of a backdoor operation. I don't know if CNMs are even allowed to do this. She charges cash. (She refused to do my daughter's snip because she said my daughter would grow into her tongue and then be able to latch. Nope, she didn't, and then I had to get it snipped later for fear of other issues later.)

I've heard from multiple people that the laser frenectomy is better than the scissors one because it's more precise.

The exercises are critically important. Without them, the tie will reattach, possibly in a worse position than before.

Dr. Siegel is very expensive, but he's supposed to be the best. He uses laser; no insurance covers that.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:12 am
Dr Goldsmith left maimonides and his new place gives excellent care and they will prioritize a baby. I would use both of these doctors much sooner than I would use Dvorkes. Dr Dahl has an entire clinic devoted to tongue ties in nursing babies I would be shocked to hear she's "doing it wrong."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries