Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do You have a 250k+ income?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:55 am
It's really surreal to look at responses in posts like these as an Israeli. I make the equivalent (like just currency conversion, not looking at standard of living or price of food etc) of $21,000 per year. My husband is self-employed so it varies but on a good month, like a really good month, he'll match my wage. So that means we're living on a basic income of $42,000. The mind boggles at the thought of an income even $100k, nevermind 350k. I feel like I'm on another planet.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 4:15 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
It's really surreal to look at responses in posts like these as an Israeli. I make the equivalent (like just currency conversion, not looking at standard of living or price of food etc) of $21,000 per year. My husband is self-employed so it varies but on a good month, like a really good month, he'll match my wage. So that means we're living on a basic income of $42,000. The mind boggles at the thought of an income even $100k, nevermind 350k. I feel like I'm on another planet.

Yes! DH makes £38,000
I earn £17,000
We manage 2 holidays, savings and a reasonable lifestyle.
The numbers on this thread LOL

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 4:42 am
Tuitions and healthcare in the US are very expensive, though houses and cars cost much less than in Israel or Europe. I think that even tuition for chassidishe schools with very low academic standards are higher than anything in Israel or Europe. (Kal va'chomer an MO school with Ph.D.s on staff.) So you really do need a very high income to raise a Jewish family there.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:47 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Software engineering is another field where you can feasibly earn 250K+ within a few years.

Depends where. And what area of engineering.

I live in Lakewood and work for non Jewish companies. Salaries like that aren’t really around. I only get it if I’m willing to relocate. (Although if I’d move into a more senior management role I could make much more but so far refuse because it would take to much of a risk on my family).

We make slightly over 200k combined and live in teeny tiny house (in town) and just asked for a tuition reduction (we still pay over 30k a year now). Haven’t flown on a plain in 10 years. We do save. But I can’t figure out how others live with the huge homes and trips to Miami...I’m glad they can.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:55 am
I only have one friend whose husband made 200 k at the age of 26.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:39 pm
We do bh. but just about 250,000-300,00 money aint everything ,and when you invest in real estate you don't necessarily have cash flying round
just sayin.
ugh sounds preachy

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:40 pm
my dh is a software engineer. He has never made 250,000+ from his job. That seems high for the field unless you go in to management.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:46 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes! DH makes £38,000
I earn £17,000
We manage 2 holidays, savings and a reasonable lifestyle.
The numbers on this thread LOL

I agree. We live in a large Canadian city. We earn a combined 120 000$.
We own our home and our car. We have significant savings accounts for all 5 of our children. We vacation twice a year too.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:57 pm
my dh is a software engineer. He has never made 250,000+ from his job. That seems high for the field unless you go in to management.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:03 pm

If you're in Israel I'm assuming you pay either nothing for tuition, or close to it, and same for health care. Those are huge. Not to mention camp in the summer. You can justify not spending money on camp for a 3 week summer, less so for a 12 week summer. My full tuition bill would be $65,000, up to $70,000 when the next kid enters high school in a year. For us, we'd have to earn aprx. $110,000 BEFORE taxes to pay full tuition, and again, that's still ignoring health care and summer expenses. I agree, it's insane.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:33 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
If you're in Israel I'm assuming you pay either nothing for tuition, or close to it, and same for health care. Those are huge. Not to mention camp in the summer. You can justify not spending money on camp for a 3 week summer, less so for a 12 week summer. My full tuition bill would be $65,000, up to $70,000 when the next kid enters high school in a year. For us, we'd have to earn aprx. $110,000 BEFORE taxes to pay full tuition, and again, that's still ignoring health care and summer expenses. I agree, it's insane.

It was fun to work this out :-)
I pay $8,550 a year for all my kids' tuition.
I pay less than $500 a year for our health insurance.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Work experience, networking, and a side hustle as they call it.

Don't forget programs and not paying tax.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:41 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Just to clarify a couple of, in my opinion, misconceptions. I will preface by saying my experiences may vary widely from someone else in Israel since cities and neighborhoods and sects and experiences are so different.

My children's tuition is NOT cheap or free. Of course it's nowhere near an American tuition but then again, my salary is nowhere near an American salary. When you look at the ratios, it's quite a large chunk of my salary, and I actually have a good job. This does vary widely based on the gender and school system.

Health care is most definitely cheaper here but I spend a lot on medication. None of my boys' medications are included in the health basket and that is a big expense each month.

Camp is always a sticky subject in any country, but since my boys only have off 3 weeks a year, I (and people I have discussed this with) feel like it's even more of a must. They're cooped up so much, they really need to run around and let loose for these 3 weeks. And let me tell you, the camp is NOT cheap. Girls DO have off for a couple of months and camp is extremely expensive for them as well. Again, nothing like American prices, but quite a large percentage of your average Israeli salary.

As someone mentioned above, some things are more here (Again, this varies widely) such as housing, cars, and (in my personal experience) food.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 5:46 am
It was fun to work this out :-)
I pay $8,550 a year for all my kids' tuition.
I pay less than $500 a year for our health insurance.

That's very little health insurance.. I paid more even as a student and that's in Europe where it's cheap..

We pay health insurance depending on our income. My husband pays 300 euros a month and I pay 240 euros a month. The kids are insured through me. We pay 700 euros a year tuition, that's mostly for the lunches.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 5:55 am
Living in England
Earning only equivalent of 15.5K
Not enough to even nearly cover the month.
Desperately need more income.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:29 am
I live in Europe. After tax we make €72000 a year between our salaries and child benefit. We also get our health insurance paid by our employer. Some of our tuition is very cheap but as our kids get older and need seminaries, yeshivos etc it can be very expensive. We don't make it through the month at all. We don't take expensive vacations really.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics