Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Side income?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 9:59 am
Hi,

I’m the OP of the thread stating that I’m broke.
I live in israel, have a job that I work regular and american (night) hours, that pays a nice amt. I cant get a raise and I wont find a better job than what I have.

Any ideas of a side hustle that I can do to make some extra money? Cant be time-specific (babysitting, another office job etc), because I work already.

Please please any ideas would be so helpful!

Thank you!!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:15 am
Sounds like your schedule is pretty full. Can your dh do anything to earn extra money? Tutor? Learn extra for pay? Lein?

salt

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:30 pm
Rent out your apartment if you go away for shabbos/ chagim.
Sell any items that you have and don't need.

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:33 pm
Bake or cook ?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,

I’m the OP of the thread stating that I’m broke.
I live in israel, have a job that I work regular and american (night) hours, that pays a nice amt. I cant get a raise and I wont find a better job than what I have.

Any ideas of a side hustle that I can do to make some extra money? Cant be time-specific (babysitting, another office job etc), because I work already.

Please please any ideas would be so helpful!

Thank you!!

Is there maybe a job related to your field you could do on the side? Graphic design, typesetting, copywriting, coaching, nutritionist…?

There’s websites like Upwork for freelancers.

I also saw advertised a website launching for frum women to hire other frum women freelancers, Purplewool.site

lovelylife

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:51 pm
You say you work U.S. hours. I'm assuming you work in the evening. I'm also assuming that like most of us, you work from home. Would you consider overnight babysitting? For young babies to be dropped off at your house if parents have wedding. Or even if you can take your work with you to someone while their children sleep. I would hire you since it is impossible to find anyone ever in my neighborhood. I've paid 40 nis per hour for a married woman. Plus travel fee.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:30 am
lovelylife wrote:
You say you work U.S. hours. I'm assuming you work in the evening. I'm also assuming that like most of us, you work from home. Would you consider overnight babysitting? For young babies to be dropped off at your house if parents have wedding. Or even if you can take your work with you to someone while their children sleep. I would hire you since it is impossible to find anyone ever in my neighborhood. I've paid 40 nis per hour for a married woman. Plus travel fee.

I have children too. I cant leave them to babysit others.
And I cant work if someone else’s child is in my house. That wont work

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:31 am
salt wrote:
Rent out your apartment if you go away for shabbos/ chagim.
Sell any items that you have and don't need.

We dont go away for shabbos ever, (no family here and can’t afford getaways), but we try to rent out for yom tov if we go away. But we aren’t always successful in finding people to come. Not many people want my neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:33 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Sounds like your schedule is pretty full. Can your dh do anything to earn extra money? Tutor? Learn extra for pay? Lein?

He can if we need to come to that, but I dont want him to have to. He learns quite a packed schedule, and has not much breathing space. Adding anything in will take away from his high level learning, which right now, I do not want to do. I would like to see what I can bring in on my own. (In the future he may do something like that, but I don’t want to do that right now. He’s learning extremely well)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:34 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
Bake or cook ?

I’ve thought about this. But there are SOO many home companies that do these things, I dont think I’ll stand out and get any customers.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:39 am
Do you sew/ have a sewing machine?
Can you mend clothes?

How many hours day and night do you actually work?
Are your children in child-care, or with you at home while you work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:41 am
salt wrote:
Do you sew/ have a sewing machine?
Can you mend clothes?

How many hours day and night do you actually work?
Are your children in child-care, or with you at home while you work?

My children are out in the mornings and sleeping in the evenings while I work.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I’ve thought about this. But there are SOO many home companies that do these things, I dont think I’ll stand out and get any customers.

You wouldn’t believe how much people pay for homemade sourdough challah.. at least in my town.

It’s not a commitment to make each week and can b advertised through word of mouth.

ysydmom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:13 am
OP I have shared my list several times it has some ideas of side income;

Baking
Makeup
Crafts
Sell on Ebay/Etsy/Amazon
Write a book
Stay with elderly in hospital
Run a non profit/gemach
fitness training
dance teacher
tutoring
babysitting
organizer
party planning

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:59 am
I don't know if this is an option for your husband.
DH just told me this week about someone in his kollel who between sedorim is a chaperone for a school taxi.
He has to do it in the morning and by lunch time. He gets over 3000nis monthly.
I think he does it for a special needs school but maybe your local school needs one.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 4:04 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I don't know if this is an option for your husband.
DH just told me this week about someone in his kollel who between sedorim is a chaperone for a school taxi.
He has to do it in the morning and by lunch time. He gets over 3000nis monthly.
I think he does it for a special needs school but maybe your local school needs one.

Yes my neighbor does this - only the morning ride. I think it's 90 shekels per ride - as he has asked my son to take his place sometimes, and that's how much he pays him.

It's called a "melaveh" in Hebrew. All the special ed schools have it - they take kids from all over the city, so instead of a hasaah that goes round the houses picking up all the kids, they pay for each kid to have an adult accompanier and a taxi picks them up.

ramateshkolmom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:50 am
If you feel comfortable to, PM me. I may have an idea.
Thank you

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:01 am
Can you take on more hours at work?

Chances are that will make more then a side hustle - think about MS, Friday and Sunday as well. Also if they see u are super committed and do a lot of extra hours you will have a bigger chance of a raise...

Prolific is a survey thing that lots of people are doing for a couple extra dollars here and there.

Can dh look into bein hazmanim gigs - building sukkah's or selling lulavim and esrogim before sukkos, cleaning and kashering before pesach can make a lot. You can do the SM advertising for him.

My dh works in the yeshivas office bein hasdorim instead of coming home for the break.

Also do you drive?
I sometimes pick up items for free on yad2 or FB marketplace, clean and fix up and resell. I pick up with a city car. Its not consistent, but I usually make a couple hundred extra a month, sometimes more.

Also - people are desperate and will pay a lot for sukkos in israel, and very few are interested for pesach.
My parents come for pesach and we go for sukkos instead of the other way around (which is more typical) this way the apartment they rent is MUCH cheaper, and when we go for sukkos - even in the less poplar neighborhood I live in, we cover tickets +
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics