Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Heavy Metal Music
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:05 am
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
I personally don’t categorize any of OP’s original artists as Heavy Metal, more Indie Rock, but it doesn’t really matter as we all understood the point she was making. 🙂 🎶

System of a down?? :O

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:07 am
Israeli_C wrote:
It's a recurrent problem we have that dh feels we need to be on the same page (or at least striving to be) on all issues because of chinuch. Even with headphones I'm sure he'll say that it affects kedushat habayit somehow

I am sure being deprived of something that gives you pleasure would negatively affect Kedushat Habayit too. How many times do we hear about the importance of “self-care” on this site? Maybe frame it to him that you need it for your own inner peace or something?

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:08 am
Israeli_C wrote:
System of a down?? :O

Indie or Alternative Metal as a compromise?

Ok, I had a quick re-listen to them and I will concede that they are “Heavy” enough for the label. They are like the child of Iron Maiden and Faith No More although I see those bands as a more “polished” sound. That further supports the argument that SOAD are “heavy” metal. 🙂 Never sure how to categorize Faith No More.

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon. Grateful Dead, Phish, Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie. I like a lot of 80's Europop dance music too, like ABC, The Communards, and Swing out Sister.

Pretty clean compared to today's standards. I like songs that make me want to dance while I'm cleaning house.

I love 80s synth pop and most other genres too. Still doesn’t motivate me to clean house lol.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:03 am
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Indie or Alternative Metal as a compromise?

Ok, I had a quick re-listen to them and I will concede that they are “Heavy” enough for the label. They are like the child of Iron Maiden and Faith No More although I see those bands as a more “polished” sound. That further supports the argument that SOAD are “heavy” metal. 🙂 Never sure how to categorize Faith No More.

We used to have a poster of "the periodic table of music." It was a genius method of classifying different categories.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:18 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Exactly this! This music is strongly tied to a lot of memories which I'm not ready to let go of.

I don't see DH agreeing, but I'm considering buying something to play music on with earphones.

Just hope nobody overhears on the bus through Bnei Brak lol

Just wanted to point out that you won't be the only one in b"b listening to this kind of music Hi
And I don't even have the excuse of being bt. Just a regular ffb b.y girl who happens to like all different types of music.

All these issues of kedusha are really hard to navigate. I learnt to ask myself will giving this up bring me closer to Hashem or will it make me resentful and less able to connect?
Keeping your entertainment appropriate is really important but so is choosing your battles.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:26 am
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
I love 80s synth pop and most other genres too. Still doesn’t motivate me to clean house lol.

Van Morrison's my cleaning-the-apartment-Sunday-morning music

PS Cinnamon I really relate to what you said about navigating kedusha.
Funnily, I was on the bus in Bnei Brak this week and a local started talking to me about the twins while we were standing in the 'agala zone' of the bus together. Conversation continued on to 'where are you from' 'Ireland' 'Not a lot of Jews there' 'yeah, I wasn't one of them, I converted' - cue the whole bus craning to look around lol

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:36 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Van Morrison's my cleaning-the-apartment-Sunday-morning music

Mine is Juanes Smile

STMommy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:57 am
Former Metallica fan here.
I also found that many of the singers/bands I was listening to in the 90s - like Evanescence, Metallica, Disturbed, Trapt, Smashing Pumpkins, Limp Bizkit, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Korn, etc etc etc just made me feel sadder, darker, and took me to a bad place which felt OK as a teenager/lonely young adult but are totally not anything I would even want to listen to now. I like and have always liked radio-friendly pop music as well and I still listen to it in the car, by myself. I don't play it at home or when the kids are in the car.

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:18 am
STMommy wrote:
I also found that many of the singers/bands I was listening to in the 90s - like Evanescence, Metallica, Disturbed, Trapt, Smashing Pumpkins, Limp Bizkit, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Korn, etc etc etc just made me feel sadder, darker, and took me to a bad place which felt OK as a teenager/lonely young adult but are totally not anything I would even want to listen to now. I like and have always liked radio-friendly pop music as well and I still listen to it in the car, by myself. I don't play it at home or when the kids are in the car.

My DS and I have listened to Enter Sandman together! 🤭🤫 He used to sing it to his younger brother. Said younger sibling was quite a poor sleeper and that worked like a lullaby. Hamelach has never had that effect. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:26 am
STMommy wrote:

Oohh back in the day I cold play Nothing Else Mattes on the guitar...
I agree, some songs bring me back to dark days

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:33 am
Rappel wrote:
Mine is Juanes Smile

OMG JUANES!!!! Heart
AND RHCP Applause
My people!!!!!! Hug

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:49 am
urban gypsy wrote:
OMG JUANES!!!! Heart
AND RHCP Applause
My people!!!!!! Hug

Qué qué, querida! Tienes la camisa negra? Wink

What's your favourite song?

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:52 am
Rappel wrote:
Qué qué, querida! Tienes la camisa negra? Wink

What's your favourite song?

La Camisa Negra is a straight banger but Volverte A Ver will forever be my jam!
The first Juanes song I ever heard that turned me into a stan was A Dios Le Pido.
Would love to dance to some grooves with you someday Rappel!

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:08 am
urban gypsy wrote:
La Camisa Negra is a straight banger but Volverte A Ver will forever be my jam!
The first Juanes song I ever heard that turned me into a stan was A Dios Le Pido.
Would love to dance to some grooves with you someday Rappel!

Si, por supuesto ! Cool Hi

STMommy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:25 am
Israeli_C wrote:

Great. Now I've got the opening guitar riff stuck in my head.

I was partial to No Leaf Clover. Saw it live at S&M at MSG. Something about the lyric, "Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel was just a freight train coming your way"...

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:28 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I agree, some songs bring me back to dark days

Nothing Else Matters is a beautiful song. Why can’t you still play it on the guitar now? Ok, you can’t play it to a crowded room filled with a bunch of frum males not related to you, but why not at home?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:13 pm
I do not like heavy metal and never did, but I have a friend who does. Once when she was on my parents block, she said that one of our neighbors was in a heavy metal band. Who knew? Very Happy
Peter Steele
My mother was always friendly towards him and he had the craziest car. That's actually how I figured out who he was because my friend didn't remember his name, so I looked it up. This is instead of preparing for Yom Tov Can't Believe It .

simcha2

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:12 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Nothing Else Matters is a beautiful song. Why can’t you still play it on the guitar now? Ok, you can’t play it to a crowded room filled with a bunch of frum males not related to you, but why not at home?

We were once at someone's house for shabbat lunch and the words "so close" were said. I muttered "no matter how far" and the woman hosting us, looked at me and said "couldn't be much more from the heart ". It's how we've become such close friends. The finding of a kindred spirit.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:14 pm
simcha2 wrote:
We were once at someone's house for shabbat lunch and the words "so close" were said. I muttered "no matter how far" and the woman hosting us, looked at me and said "couldn't be much more from the heart ". It's how we've become such close friends. The finding of a kindred spirit.

This is the most beautiful and wholesome love story I've ever heard!
Wish I could find friends like that someday! Crying
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics