Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Couple moving to EY - what to get as a present
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:13 am
I always struggle with this one. I won't give cash or gift cards.

What is a nice present to give to a couple who are going across the world to set up house?

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:14 am
A gift card, or cash. Any item you give them now will only be a burden.

ETA - I just remembered that a friend got us a suitcase, and paid for an extra bag on our flight. That was really nice.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:32 am
Thank you for your answer. I feel strongly about not giving cash or gift cards. Since we don't normally give gifts in my circle, so it wouldn't be strange to just give a mazol tov. A gift is unexpected.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:35 am
A magazine subscription?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:36 am
US to Israel conversion plugs for electronics, if they are bringing anything like small appliances or lamps. I use them all the time, and they are hard to find here. You can get them at Radio Shack easily in the US. Last time I was there I stocked up.

Paying for an extra suitcase is also a wonderful idea. That would have been very helpful.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
US to Israel conversion plugs for electronics, if they are bringing anything like small appliances or lamps. I use them all the time, and they are hard to find here. You can get them at Radio Shack easily in the US. Last time I was there I stocked up.

Paying for an extra suitcase is also a wonderful idea. That would have been very helpful.

I think Radio Shack is gone. Maybe Best Buy?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:44 am
Something small. They probably have limited luggage space or order something in e"Y to be delivered to them.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:46 am
What about buying groceries go be delivered to their place?

Happydance

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:00 pm
We had someone buy a gift in israel and we presented them a photo of the gift that was waiting for them in israel

thanks

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:05 pm
Www.blanketexpress.com

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:06 pm
I love the idea of luggage. The couples that go to EY in my circle are well off usually. That is a great idea for another couple.

I like the idea of getting something delivered to them there. Is there a company that would send an email with a gift that could be delivered when they arrive? (That's a great business idea for someone.)

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:08 pm
On a practical level, an extra suitcase would be great. Or if there's something they would want to help them set up their home in Israel that you could order from Aliexpress or eBay to be delivered to them in Israel, that would be nice.

If you really want a "normal" gift, I would suggest a digital picture frame. They're small enough to pack easily, but can be very sweet and sentimental. If that's too much of an investment, then a nice photo album. It might be comforting for them to have pictures of friends and family to take with them into their new lives.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:11 pm
I actually bought my brother a set of 8 Mikasa glasses, and took it to E"Y in my hand luggage. They all survived in their original packaging and my gift was much appreciated. Couples in E"Y also want to set a nice Shabbos table.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:12 pm
Teomima wrote:
On a practical level, an extra suitcase would be great. Or if there's something they would want to help them set up their home in Israel that you could order from Aliexpress or eBay to be delivered to them in Israel, that would be nice.

If you really want a "normal" gift, I would suggest a digital picture frame. They're small enough to pack easily, but can be very sweet and sentimental. If that's too much of an investment, then a nice photo album. It might be comforting for them to have pictures of friends and family to take with them into their new lives.

I don't mind spending in the hundred range. I could be more or it could be less. It needs to be the right fit.

Can a digital picture frame be personalized?

ahuva06

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:14 pm
How about sending them a meal for the day they land or the morning after... It's really overwhelming stepping off the plane and not having anything to put in your mouth. A nice fresh meal would be so appreciated! If they are moving to Yerushalayim I have a few suggestions of peoole who send beautiful meals.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't mind spending in the hundred range. I could be more or it could be less. It needs to be the right fit.

Can a digital picture frame be personalized?

The frames come blank so they can load whatever pictures they want on it using a flash drive or SD card, depending on what the device accepts. Or you can preload images and they can always change them if they like.

MommyM

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:28 pm
I would stick with things that are easy to travel with like tablecloths, challoh cover, personalized towels.

blessedjmom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:30 pm
Would you order supper for them for when they arrive ? You can also get personalized gifts ordered in israel.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:34 pm
I rather not get them something perishable. I want to get them something that they can look at years to come. If I can't think of something, then maybe dinner it is.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:38 pm
This company can buy and deliver any gift you want. They are awesome.
https://tamarimconcierge.com/

This is also a great gift that is overlooked. It will allow them to plug in their computers and any other US things.
https://www.amazon.com/VCT-Uni.....84H4K

https://www.amazon.com/Regvolt.....SDD3T
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions