Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:05 am
tweety1 wrote:
You can do whatever you want, but nail polish was never considered and never will be a chasidisha thing. Just because "everybody" or "many" are doing it doesn't make it into a chasidisha thing. Nail polish was almost considered something modern ppl do. I have a neighbor who supposedly wears covered and also wears clear nail polish. It looks weird and funny. These 2 just don't mix. Simple.

Why would clear nail polish with a covered sheitel look weird? I know people that were a shpitzel and wear clear nail polish.

ludicrous

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:06 am
like others have said, It seems to me that the younger generation has become more chasidish in levush, like vaise zuken and covered shaitel. a lot of satmar and bobov mothers who didn't cover, their children cover their shaitel.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I love rationalizations.

There's quite a large range between the cheap ones that break and the highly expensive ones. There are plenty strong durable ones in a middle range that last just as long, if not longer.

If it were to be about the durability, we would see a healthy mix of old models with the recent and new models on the street. The majority of them on the streets are all of recent & new models, so that refutes the argument.

What time are you walking on the streets? During the day is mostly stay at home mothers whose husbands earn enough money that they don't have to work. By my babysitter there are two Bugaboo strollers (one new for first time mom), one mountain buggy double, one baby max, etc. It's quite a mix. If you want a better idea of what kind of strollers people are using, check the stroller parking by the doctor's office after hours (during the day is scheduled appointments mostly which will include a higher percentage of newborns). You'll see it really is a mix with quite a few low end and mid range as well.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:03 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No stores with $600 sweaters (remember that thread?) but I hear what your saying.

Finale actually does sell $600 sweaters. And tops and skirts etc

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:07 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
It's a "competition" of who can look "holier". In Bobov for example, my parents generation did not cover their sheitels , besides Friday night with a white tichel. Now the people my age or younger wear hats and bands on their sheitels. I can tell you that their parents were more genuine and ehrlich even without the double covering. Uh huh. Sad but true.

I think it is a good idea to read the parsha of Meraglim. It teaches us that it is a horrible thing to talk on a community.
Remember, the previous generation that you KNOW were more genuine and ehrlich are not your peers and they did not bring moshiach, so it is a good idea to see genuiness and ehrlichkeit in both the parents and the children's generation.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I want to add- I went to BP for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. (Yes I have no relatives there, so I have never been there expect for passing by in the car)

I was in Flatbush had time so we figured we’d go explore. My experience was positive. I’m not here to bash. The store owners very nice and welcoming.

A little observation: DH was amazed at all the fancy carriages and upscale stores. Like even the most chassidish woman pushed a bugaboo and the cooler ones had a Mima or Stokke or whatever. (Yes every single woman pushed a stroller! Loved it!) He said- you don’t see such things in Lakewood.

It makes you wonder- how do you people even afford it? With the crazy rent, and pressures makes sense people would move unless they have very strong reasons to stay.

Some of my husband's friends who moved to Lakewood claim that their living expenses are higher in Lakewood. Go figure.
And yes, my youngest child had a Valco carriage and if I would have had the sense I would have bought a bugaboo. I walk almost everywhere and the bugaboo wheels are smooth and I come home much less exhausted when wheeling my my niece in her expensive bugaboo.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:22 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Huh?? Viznitz monsey is not a satmar talmid. Viznitz and satmar never went together and never will. Viznitz and satmar is like saying furniture and groceries you can buy in the same shop.
It's true that the satmar rebbe invented seams. But as I far as I know Viznitz yrs ago probably our mothers ages did not wear seams.

Sorry, but Reb Mottel, the Viznitz Monsey rebbe that recently passed away learned by Reb Yoel of Satmar as a bachur, which made him a "Satmar Talmid". Viznitz Monsey school wears seams on tights because of that, and Viznitz Bnei Brak doesn't.
Viznitz is wearing seams for many years already. Probably as long as the school in Monsey exists, or almost as long.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Over the last few years, Im seeing less uncovered Sheitels, and more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.

Are BP people moving to the right (becoming frummer), or are the non-covered Sheitel wearers moving elsewhere.

I also used to see way more "Hot Chanis" in BP. As time goes on, I see less and less.

Where are the Tzniusdik women wearing uncovered Sheitels and the "Hot Chanis" (a little less Tzniusdik, with very long Sheitels, very high heels, snug clothing) moving to?

I am not sure why frum people use language that belong to an unrefined class of non-jews.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:27 pm
SuperWify wrote:
How did chassidish women dress pre-war?

Most frum women non chassidish did not cover hair, elbows, wear socks, open necks ect.

The bolded is actually usually used to make the opposite point of the one intended here.

Being that the wives of some of the biggest Gedolim in the non Chassidish world did not cover their hair even though their husbands told anyone who asked them that it is an absolute Chiyuv D'oyraasa to do so , therefore one can question how much of practical value can to be learned from the way they (weren't) dressed.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:33 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Finale actually does sell $600 sweaters. And tops and skirts etc

Don't forget about Estees world of Fashion

Dorathee Shumacher raincoats for 900$
And they sell like hotcakes

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:34 pm
SuperWify wrote:
How did chassidish women dress pre-war?

Most frum women non chassidish did not cover hair, elbows, wear socks, open necks ect.

The picture I have of my great-grandmother pre-war she's wearing a high collar, long sleeves, waisted gathered dress, coming down past her knee (probably more than 4 inches, though I doubt she counted) and two braids down to her waist.
She lived in a shtetel in Hungary.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:59 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Some of my husband's friends who moved to Lakewood claim that their living expenses are higher in Lakewood.

interesting- surprising- not shocking.

of course depends a lot on tuition- I dont know which schools he is referring to.

rent is definitely significantly less in lakewood- boropark is generally at least twice the price or more for siilare size

if they had no car in brooklyn and have two in lakewood- I can see the costs being about equal. - taking into consideration leases, tolls, gas, car insurance

I think people assume brooklyn is crazy expensive ( which it is) when they see the price of rent -without taking into consideration the savings on car/ travel.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Why would clear nail polish with a covered sheitel look weird? I know people that were a shpitzel and wear clear nail polish.

Just cuz there are shpitzel wearing ladies who wear nail polish doesn't make it chasidish. Sorry, but nail polish was never and will never be a chasidisha thing. Just cuz somebody likes it and wears it doesn't change it to a "chasidisha Zach". A shpitzel lady who wears nail polish is something off. These 2 don't mix. Even she wears it. It doesn't change the category.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:13 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Just cuz there are shpitzel wearing ladies who wear nail polish doesn't make it chasidish. Sorry, but nail polish was never and will never be a chasidisha thing. Just cuz somebody likes it and wears it doesn't change it to a "chasidisha Zach". A shpitzel lady who wears nail polish is something off. These 2 don't mix. Even she wears it. It doesn't change the category.

Tweety, Can I ask who appointed you as the chassidish 'monitor'? (for lack of a better word)
You get to decide what 'mixes' (your words) and what not? You decide if it can or cant be for chassidish woman?

All thats chassidish in (levush) is shtreimel, bekisha, hats, and the like.
Nail polish is not part of that. Maybe? most chassidishe women didnt or dont feel comfortable wearing nail polish OK! that doesnt make it not a chassidishe thing!

I personally wear a hat and nail polish and dont see what one has to do with the other? My look is fine and eidel and I think sheer pink or clear nail polish 'mixes' very well with my look. Thankyouverymuch. Sorrynotsorry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
The picture I have of my great-grandmother pre-war she's wearing a high collar, long sleeves, waisted gathered dress, coming down past her knee (probably more than 4 inches, though I doubt she counted) and two braids down to her waist.
She lived in a shtetel in Hungary.

Mine as well, but shes wearing a Shpitzel looking wig, and shes not Chassidish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I personally wear a hat and nail polish and dont see what one has to do with the other? My look is fine and eidel and I think sheer pink or clear nail polish 'mixes' very well with my look. Thankyouverymuch. Sorrynotsorry.

Forget the nail polish, Im in shock that women who cover their Sheitels are on the internet for anything but business needs.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 3:01 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Respectfully (as a non chassid who wears a full Shaitel) I don’t think they covered Shaitel’s are frummer, or more tsniusdik. It’s just their family’s tradition.

Respectfully, if you would truly respect our family tradition of wearing hat over sheitel (like you would Amish or even the
average Western women for wearing whatever she wears) you wouldn't make your comment.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Forget the nail polish, Im in shock that women who cover their Sheitels are on the internet for anything but business needs.

Seriously?
I'm in shock at the judginess and condesencion of this post.
Newsflash:
Women with covered shaitels are just like you.
They sometimes waste time on frivolty just like you.
They sometimes go onto Imamother to chill out
They even sometimes read (Gasp!) the news online

Were they born with a holier neshama that doesn't enjoy these things just because they wear a covered sheitel?

This really needs to stop.
Mind your own backyard. See what needs fixing there. When you're done you can worry about the unholy habbits of other people.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:12 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Seriously?
I'm in shock at the judginess and condesencion of this post.
Newsflash:
Women with covered shaitels are just like you.
They sometimes waste time on frivolty just like you.
They sometimes go onto Imamother to chill out
They even sometimes read (Gasp!) the news online

Were they born with a holier neshama that doesn't enjoy these things just because they wear a covered sheitel?

This really needs to stop.
Mind your own backyard. See what needs fixing there. When you're done you can worry about the unholy habbits of other people

agreed- I have not read this whole discussion. though I know what you mean by judginess.

its a lot easier to feel holy and rightous by putting others down then to actully reflect on where you can improve and work on those areas- so as long as people are insecure there will be judgement.

when I hear judgemental comments- its obvious that its usually coming form insecurity.

happyness

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:23 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Tweety, Can I ask who appointed you as the chassidish 'monitor'? (for lack of a better word)
You get to decide what 'mixes' (your words) and what not? You decide if it can or cant be for chassidish woman?

All thats chassidish in (levush) is shtreimel, bekisha, hats, and the like.
Nail polish is not part of that. Maybe? most chassidishe women didnt or dont feel comfortable wearing nail polish OK! that doesnt make it not a chassidishe thing!

I'm sure your look is fine and eidel. No need to get defensive.

But the nail polish you wear is still not a chassidish thing to do.

Listen, I'm chassidish and I drive. So does driving now become a regular, standard thing chassidish women do?
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics