Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:11 pm
I want to add- I went to BP for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. (Yes I have no relatives there, so I have never been there expect for passing by in the car)

I was in Flatbush had time so we figured we’d go explore. My experience was positive. I’m not here to bash. The store owners very nice and welcoming.

A little observation: DH was amazed at all the fancy carriages and upscale stores. Like even the most chassidish woman pushed a bugaboo and the cooler ones had a Mima or Stokke or whatever. (Yes every single woman pushed a stroller! Loved it!) He said- you don’t see such things in Lakewood.

It makes you wonder- how do you people even afford it? With the crazy rent, and pressures makes sense people would move unless they have very strong reasons to stay.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I want to add- I went to BP for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. (Yes I have no relatives there, so I have never been there expect for passing by in the car)

I was in Flatbush had time so we figured we’d go explore. My experience was positive. I’m not here to bash. The store owners very nice and welcoming.

A little observation: DH was amazed at all the fancy carriages and upscale stores. Like even the most chassidish woman pushed a bugaboo and the cooler ones had a Mima or Stokke or whatever. (Yes every single woman pushed a stroller! Loved it!) He said- you don’t see such things in Lakewood.

It makes you wonder- how do you people even afford it? With the crazy rent, and pressures makes sense people would move unless they have very strong reasons to stay.

Those ladies with the fancy strollers - probably don't have a car. Strollers are cheaper than cars.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:22 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Those ladies with the fancy strollers - probably don't have a car. Strollers are cheaper than cars.

Oh c'mon. The majority of BP have cars. Parking is impossible in BP for a reason.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:28 pm
SuperWify wrote:

This is their car. They use it often. And for a few kids. So if it’s a good quality stroller then it may be worthwhile to invest it one. I actually don’t own one. I have an Uppa baby cruz and see lots with it as well.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That may be somewhat true, although covered Sheitels generally go with seamed stockings, and generally their level of Tznius (less snug fit, longer skirts, less trendy) is a notch above women who wear non seamed stockings' way of dress.

In any case, whether its a gauge of anything or not, Im seeing way more covered Sheitels and less uncovered Sheitels in BP, as time goes on.

They follow different chumros, but it doesn't make them more or less frum.

As time goes on, the demographics of the community has changed. It's mostly chassidim who live there now, and the majority of the non-Chassidim have moved on elsewhere. So what you're seeing reflects that.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:32 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Oh c'mon. The majority of BP have cars. Parking is impossible in BP for a reason.

In Lakewood - is it mainly one car, or two car families?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:38 pm

Most women in BP don't drive. I walk every where or I take Ubers. When I have a baby I walk every where I don't even take Uber's because no car seat. In Lakewood most women drive, they're not walking long distances.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:41 pm

As time goes on, the demographics of the community has changed. It's mostly chassidim who live there now, and the majority of the non-Chassidim have moved on elsewhere. So what you're seeing reflects that.

Very true. Bais Yaakov used to be majority litvish families and now it's majority chassidish. They get married and move to Lakewood. Once these litvish parents marry off all their kids they also move to Lakewood... to be near their children.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:42 pm
Those expensive strollers are usually a gift from the grandparents, for the first baby. They are meant to last for several other children to come.

Often, if they are still in good shape, they get sold or passed down to others in need. Don't judge. Quality is worth paying for, and if you are gifted it you are truly fortunate.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:47 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Its a phrase, not a word - and its still derogatory even if you've lost your sensitivity to it.

Oh goodness. My sincerest apologies. I should have said "vocabulary phrase". Please forgive me. Rolling Eyes

My point was only that someone who uses that "PHRASE" is not necessarily doing so with a deragatory intention.

nylon

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:49 pm
Not chassidish, not from BP. When I had my first, I lived in a city and didn't drive (I wasn't in the US). I owned a Bugaboo and I knew many other people (not flashy) who did, or another heavy, expensive stroller. The cheap ones just broke too fast when you take it out shopping every day. It's worth splurging money on.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:54 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Oh goodness. My sincerest apologies. I should have said "vocabulary phrase". Please forgive me. Rolling Eyes

My point was only that someone who uses that "PHRASE" is not necessarily doing so with a deragatory intention.

Do people now self-describe as 'I'm a hot chani'? The same way other women say 'I double cover'?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:55 pm
nylon wrote:
Not chassidish, not from BP. When I had my first, I lived in a city and didn't drive (I wasn't in the US). I owned a Bugaboo and I knew many other people (not flashy) who did, or another heavy, expensive stroller. The cheap ones just broke too fast when you take it out shopping every day. It's worth splurging money on.

I love rationalizations.

There's quite a large range between the cheap ones that break and the highly expensive ones. There are plenty strong durable ones in a middle range that last just as long, if not longer.

If it were to be about the durability, we would see a healthy mix of old models with the recent and new models on the street. The majority of them on the streets are all of recent & new models, so that refutes the argument.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:59 pm
SuperWify wrote:

How can you afford your car?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:03 pm
cnc wrote:
How can you afford your car?

With the lower rent or mortgage payments.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:18 pm

Boro Park has been mostly Chassdish for the last 20 years (it didnt happen overnight).

Twenty years ago, the covered shaitels numbered no more than 25% of the Chassdish women. Now when Im on 13th, I think its about 75% covered Sheitels, and 25% uncovered.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:38 pm
tweety1 wrote:
What you're saying abt covered sheitels used to be true. Unfortunately these days not anymore. The covered sheitels has become a trend today just like the "veisa zuken". Sad but true.

True. Ive been seeing women in "covered sheitels" with "colored nails". Used to not go together at all.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:42 pm
I love rationalizations.

There's quite a large range between the cheap ones that break and the highly expensive ones. There are plenty strong durable ones in a middle range that last just as long, if not longer.

If it were to be about the durability, we would see a healthy mix of old models with the recent and new models on the street. The majority of them on the streets are all of recent & new models, so that refutes the argument.

That is so not true! I see many worn out ones and I can tell what year it came out based on the hood color. The brand new ones are used by new mommies mainly.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Boro Park has been mostly Chassdish for the last 20 years (it didnt happen overnight).

Twenty years ago, the covered shaitels numbered no more than 25% of the Chassdish women. Now when Im on 13th, I think its about 75% covered Sheitels, and 25% uncovered.

Because shifts in demographics don't happen overnight. People gradually move in, and people gradually move out.

20 years ago BP had more Litvishe, non-Chasidim & more modern Chasidim living there than they do now. I know that personally, I grew up in Brooklyn. Many of those have gradually, over the years, shifted to Flatbush & other areas. At the same time, Chassidim moved in to take their place.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:46 pm
Because shifts in demographics don't happen overnight. People gradually move in, and people gradually move out.

20 years ago BP had more Litvishe, non-Chasidim & more modern Chasidim living there than they do now. I know that personally, I grew up in Brooklyn. Many of those have gradually, over the years, shifted to Flatbush & other areas. At the same time, Chassidim moved in to take their place.

So where are the non covered Sheitel Chassidish women moving to, besides Lakewood and Toms River? I dont see too many in BP.

Or do most Chassidish women cover these days? Im thinking maybe thats what it is.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics