Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:56 pm
The strollers are usually gifted by the parents.

When I got married 20+ years ago, first-time mothers also got the most up to date carriages because they didn’t pay for it.

Same as kallahs getting expensive brand-name sheitels before their wedding.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:59 pm
I don't know the answer superwify but I do know that it's not only the jewish moms in the neighborhood that are pushing their children in bugaboos and stokke strollers. So many different people, nationalities, income brackets here , and so many of all types are pushing such strollers.

pizza4

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:06 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Most women in BP don't drive. I walk every where or I take Ubers. When I have a baby I walk every where I don't even take Uber's because no car seat. In Lakewood most women drive, they're not walking long distances.

Exactly.
I lived in BP and had a good carriage. When I moved to Lakewood I had no use for it anymore! Here you need a good travel carriage, maybe a doona.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:29 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
The strollers are usually gifted by the parents.

When I got married 20+ years ago, first-time mothers also got the most up to date carriages because they didn’t pay for it.

Same as kallahs getting expensive brand-name sheitels before their wedding.

Are the clothing gifts from their parents too? (And not just for the kids the adults wear expensive too.)

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:32 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Are the clothing gifts from their parents too? (And not just for the kids the adults wear expensive too.)

How can you tell if clothing is expensive?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:35 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
How can you tell if clothing is expensive?

Those fancy shoe stores and layette store definitely are.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:35 pm
In many nice neighborhoods in Manhattan you see loads of bugaboo's. It's not just a Jewish thing.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
In many nice neighborhoods in Manhattan you see loads of bugaboo's. It's not just a Jewish thing.

People who live in nice neighborhoods in manhattan are usually $$$$.

flapsmom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:19 pm
To answer OPs question I think it's a combination of many factors.
1) Many non chassidim are moving out of boro park
2) In general there is less of the "middle ground" heimish Judaism around. I see the Jewish world moving towards either of the two extremes (very chassidish vs. very not)
3) Yes there's definitely a trend of more of the chassidish ladies putting on an extra covering. They say that the previous Bobover Rebbe was busy putting socks (stockings) on the women and hats (shtreimlech) on the men while the current Rebbes are busy putting (veisa) socks on the men and hats on the ladies.
Furthermore as being "chassidish" just means looking a certain way you have those who cover and yet wear nail polish which you never would have seen previously, because as long as that hat is there they are "chassidish" no matter what else they do.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:19 pm
I live in a very diverse middle class neighbourhood in a large metropolis. Most of the parents are pushing a Bugaboo stroller.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I actually do!! I live in BP, wear a short covered sheitel with a full hat and I like to have a nice manicure with sheer pink nails! So there!

You can do whatever you want, but nail polish was never considered and never will be a chasidisha thing. Just because "everybody" or "many" are doing it doesn't make it into a chasidisha thing. Nail polish was almost considered something modern ppl do. I have a neighbor who supposedly wears covered and also wears clear nail polish. It looks weird and funny. These 2 just don't mix. Simple.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I live in a very diverse middle class neighbourhood in a large metropolis. Most of the parents are pushing a Bugaboo stroller.

I have a bugaboo buffalo. I bought it cuz I had very specific criteria in what I was looking for a carriage. The Buffalo, donkey, and now the fox too are the only carriages that match what I was looking for in a carriage. I barely use a car, I walk A LOT, sometimes very far, in addition to other things. This is what suited me most. Fyi, I bought mine 2nd hand. I'm sure there are plenty others who also bought theirs 2nd hand.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:41 pm
I don’t see anything wrong with a covered sheitel and light nail polish.

OTOH-women wearing covered sheitels and/or seams with skirts not nearly long enough to cover knees when walking are a strange sight.

Or thin stockings with seams which are more attractive (s@xy) than non-seamed stockings.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:49 pm
I don’t see anything wrong with a covered sheitel and light nail polish.

OTOH-women wearing covered sheitels and/or seams with skirts not nearly long enough to cover knees when walking are a strange sight.

Or think stockings with seams which are more attractive (s@xy) than non-seamed stockings.

It's not about what you think, or what you think is wrong

It's a fact. Nail polish is not a chassidish thing

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:02 pm
delicious wrote:
It's not about what you think, or what you think is wrong

It's a fact. Nail polish is not a chassidish thing

It’s not about what you think either.

There’s nothing inherently untznius about having polished nails so what exactly makes it non-chasidish?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:03 pm
It’s a fact?
Please quote a source that says it’s against halacha.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:06 pm
It’s not about what you think either.

There’s nothing inherently untznius about having polished nails so what exactly makes it non-chasidish?

I didn't say it's not tznius. I said it's not chassidish. Big difference

I think it is tznius. But it's still not chassidish

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:08 pm
It’s a fact?
Please quote a source that says it’s against halacha.

Again, it's not a halacha.

It's probably mesorah if you want to label it. It is not chassidish to wear nail polish.

If you are chassidish and wear it, and are getting offended, then calm down. Nothing wrong with you. Not against tznius or halacha.

But it's still not a chassidish thing to do.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:13 pm
delicious wrote:
Again, it's not a halacha.

It's probably mesorah if you want to label it. It is not chassidish to wear nail polish.

If you are chassidish and wear it, and are getting offended, then calm down. Nothing wrong with you. Not against tznius or halacha.

But it's still not a chassidish thing to do.

I’m not offended in the least.
But you said this is something “modern” people do which implies you think there’s something
wrong with it.

BTW-my girls go to mainstream BY high schools and some of the yeshivish teachers and principals wear nail polish.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:15 pm
I’m not offended in the least.
But you said this is something “modern” people do which implies you think there’s something
wrong with it.

BTW-my girls go to mainstream BY high schools and some of the yeshivish teachers and principals wear nail polish.

What a way to put words into my mouth

Please quote where I said that this is something modern people do.

As if mentioning something modern people do implies there is something wrong with it!!!
Modern people do millions of good things!!!!

Last edited by happyness on Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics