Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:16 pm
delicious wrote:
Again, it's not a halacha.

It's probably mesorah if you want to label it. It is not chassidish to wear nail polish.

If you are chassidish and wear it, and are getting offended, then calm down. Nothing wrong with you. Not against tznius or halacha.

But it's still not a chassidish thing to do.

It may not have been a thing to do, but it definitely is a thing to do now. My aunt at once such a salon/spa place in Williamsburg, and it's always busy. Comes around YT, they don't have a minute to breathe.

My parents generation are always remarking about this, how the 'young ones' have changed in this regard.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:17 pm
tweety1 wrote:
You can do whatever you want, but nail polish was never considered and never will be a chasidisha thing. Just because "everybody" or "many" are doing it doesn't make it into a chasidisha thing. Nail polish was almost considered something modern ppl do. I have a neighbor who supposedly wears covered and also wears clear nail polish. It looks weird and funny. These 2 just don't mix. Simple.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:19 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
It may not have been a thing to do, but it definitely is a thing to do now. My aunt at once such a salon/spa place in Williamsburg, and it's always busy. Comes around YT, they don't have a minute to breathe.

My parents generation are always remarking about this, how the 'young ones' have changed in this regard.

Correct. The chassidish young generation is dropping a lot of their mesorah.

But true authentic chassidish ideals do not include nail polish

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:21 pm
[quote="amother [ Honeydew ]"][/quot

You stand corrected. I did not write that. Tweety1 did.

Last edited by happyness on Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:23 pm
And if I can explain what she wrote, she is implying that it is more of a 'modern' thing to do, meaning more to the left of chassidish.
I don't think she meant the Modern Orthodox sect literally, as litvish, yeshivish, heimishe, etc. wear nail polish too

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:27 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Those fancy shoe stores and layette store definitely are.

You have fancy stores in Lakewood too! I know a few there. Then you have stores in BP like Kiddie Chic, Clover, Designers Spot, and Tottini that are very very busy. People also buy in the “fancy” stores when they have 50-70 off. So if you see kids in fancy clothes it may have been bought at a good price.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:28 pm
And again, for the record, saying it's 'something more modern people do' is only implying that it's wrong if you think so.

I have loads of MO cousins and they live a beautiful Jewish life.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:36 pm
delicious wrote:
Correct. The chassidish young generation is dropping a lot of their mesorah.

But true authentic chassidish ideals do not include nail polish

True authentic chassidus does not include seamed stockings or covered sheitels either.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:42 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
True authentic chassidus does not include seamed stockings or covered sheitels either.

Now you are going into a separate topic.

(Firstly the term you are looking for is Chassidish. Not chassidus, which is something else entirely. Chassidus is a learning.)

Because for some chassidish people the true authentic part of their chassidish origins did include seamed stocking and covered sheitels.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:45 pm
delicious wrote:
Because for some chassidish people the true authentic part of their chassidish origins did include seamed stocking and covered sheitels.

Did R Yoel's wife wear seams in the early years right after the war?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:52 pm
delicious wrote:
And again, for the record, saying it's 'something more modern people do' is only implying that it's wrong if you think so.

I have loads of MO cousins and they live a beautiful Jewish life.

1. I apoligize-I didn't realize there was a second poster saying it's not a chasidish thing to do.
I'm not the one who said it's something modern people do so I'm not sure why you're directing the comment to me.

2. If the Rabbanim in WB would disapprove of chasidish women wearing nail polish or think it was inappropriate they would have shut down the nail salon or spa that the PP mentioned.

3. Mesorah changes.
Years ago, my mother and grandmother like many women in those times wore clothing that did not always cover their knees, as evidenced by photos I have seen.
Yet I wouldn't say it's my mesorah.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:18 pm
flowerpower wrote:
You have fancy stores in Lakewood too! I know a few there. Then you have stores in BP like Kiddie Chic, Clover, Designers Spot, and Tottini that are very very busy. People also buy in the “fancy” stores when they have 50-70 off. So if you see kids in fancy clothes it may have been bought at a good price.

No stores with $600 sweaters (remember that thread?) but I hear what your saying.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:27 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
1. I apoligize-I didn't realize there was a second poster saying it's not a chasidish thing to do.
I'm not the one who said it's something modern people do so I'm not sure why you're directing the comment to me.

2. If the Rabbanim in WB would disapprove of chasidish women wearing nail polish or think it was inappropriate they would have shut down the nail salon or spa that the PP mentioned.

3. Mesorah changes.
Years ago, my mother and grandmother like many women in those times wore clothing that did not always cover their knees, as evidenced by photos I have seen.
Yet I wouldn't say it's my mesorah.

Thanks

You wrote that I said it's modern and implied it's wrong, so I responded that if something is modern it's not necessarily wrong. That's all.

2. Cute, but no, Rabbanim won't shut down a salon...just not happening. They'd faster shut down the places that sell long sheitels.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Over the last few years, Im seeing less uncovered Sheitels, and more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.

Are BP people moving to the right (becoming frummer), or are the non-covered Sheitel wearers moving elsewhere.

I also used to see way more "Hot Chanis" in BP. As time goes on, I see less and less.

Where are the Tzniusdik women wearing uncovered Sheitels and the "Hot Chanis" (a little less Tzniusdik, with very long Sheitels, very high heels, snug clothing) moving to?

This thread is causing condescending comments directly or indirectly about an entire group of fellow yidden.
Where are all the condescension for people who are normalizing LEWD, CRUDE, OFFENSIVE dress (yes, in terms of tznius) in all streams of orthodoxy?
Why the double standard attitude?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How did chassidish women dress pre-war?

Most frum women non chassidish did not cover hair, elbows, wear socks, open necks ect.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:32 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No stores with $600 sweaters (remember that thread?) but I hear what your saying.

You can find expensive clothes in Finale and Miri’s, too. Really, Lakewood and Boro Park are pretty similar in terms of materialism. Both have their non-materialistic crowds as well.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:39 pm
delicious wrote:

Every generation added its own bits. Seamed stockings, covered sheitels... as you go through the years you'll see that the mesorah changed again and again. And our generations are no exceptions. If you want to stick to Mesorah, then stick to the true, authentic origin. Otherwise our revisions are just as valid as the previous generations revisions.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
How did chassidish women dress pre-war?

Most frum women non chassidish did not cover hair, elbows, wear socks, open necks ect.

How? Can? You?

#revisionisminjewishhistory

yksraya

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She wore thick black tights.

Only the beige tights needs seems (in satmar). The people wearing black don't wear seems.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:17 am
SuperWify wrote:
That’s not very nice.

I regret bringing this up.

I asked a question and I’m looking for an answer.
How do these people afford to constantly keep up with Klein’s? (Not only in strollers in expensive clothing shoes ect.)

And I understand the bugaboo is a good stroller. I own one. (Granted it’s a Bee the cheapest but it’s light and a great car stroller and my MIL bought it for me. She wanted me to get a chameleon which looks much nicer but I didn’t want it because it was not practical for me.) But I was asking mostly about the Mima and Stokkes which are not practical at all imho.

What type of answers did u expect to get on ima?

And I do find it ironic that u r shocked that others own something that u also do
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics