Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do you want women in a Magazine
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 19  20  21  Next

Why do you want women in magazines
For inspirational reasons (Role Models)  
 20%  [ 33 ]
I believe equal for men and women  
 21%  [ 35 ]
Only little girls  
 15%  [ 24 ]
It's not a halacha, I don't believe in Chumros  
 42%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 160

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:48 pm
delicious wrote:
I mean, I can ask my relatives as well, if you'd like a larger poll.
But no, I do not interact with unrelated men.

My point is that it's not only about YOUR personal experience. It's about how women are perceived in the community at large. Is it ok if you feel respected but many other women don't?

Like watergirl, I'm not campaigning for women with heavy makeup and long, long shaitels to be printed. I just want to see SOME acknowledgement that women exist. Even the Torah didn't erase women...

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:48 pm
deleted

Last edited by happyness on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:49 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
My point is that it's not only about YOUR personal experience. It's about how women are perceived in the community at large. Is it ok if you feel respected but many other women don't?

Like watergirl, I'm not campaigning for women with heavy makeup and long, long shaitels to be printed. I just want to see SOME acknowledgement that women exist. Even the Torah didn't erase women...

Nope, I didn't say it's okay.
Why do I have to repeat myself? I voiced my personal experience, and that I get others have different ones, and see no issue with women in magazines.

Why all the heat for nothing?

chestnut

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:51 pm
Delicious, I must say that I'm very impressed with your responses. You seem to have your head screwed on right and a great marriage, although some of your approaches are different from others' here. There's nothing wrong with listening to your husband's decisions when you know he has your best interest in mind and cares about you.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:52 pm
Littlemiracles wrote:
Those cultures that keep women most covered up and shut away (I know, like diamonds) are the ones with the most violence against women. We surely do not want to go in that direction.

How do you know that?[/quote]

I'm sort of agreeing here. There was plenty of violence towards women in Europe, even if they weren't covered. And there's still plenty of violence in the good ol' USA.

IrenaFr

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:53 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
100% wrong. I can bring proof from seforim but I'm not really interested. It's why women have an issur of [inappropriate] thoughts of men as well, lo sasuru acharei.... it's an araysa.

Modern Medical literature?
If the women should not think about men as well then why the pictures of men are allowed ???

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:55 pm
delicious wrote:
For those of you that are truly concerned (and I'm touched), my husband just came home. We had our backsplash put on (which btw he didn't think was necessary to spend money on but did it because it meant a lot to me) and the guy asked my husband if he likes it. So my DH turns to me and says "do you?"

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Edited to add:

Just so you know how this would have gone in my house.

I wanted new backsplash -my husband didn't think it was necessary - but since we agree that there is some money in our budget that can be spent on 'wants' not 'needs' - we got the backsplash.

My husband comes home and the contractor asks him if he likes it, he says yes, what did my wife say?

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:55 pm
IrenaFr wrote:
Modern Medical literature?
If the women should not think about men as well then why the pictures of men are allowed ???

I meant to write er*tic but it got changed. Women should not think about men in an er*tic way either.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:56 pm
delicious wrote:
Nope, I didn't say it's okay.
Why do I have to repeat myself? I voiced my personal experience, and that I get others have different ones, and see no issue with women in magazines.

Why all the heat for nothing?

You said that keeping women out of magazines is ok, because you personally feel respected. Thats what you said.

IrenaFr

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:58 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I meant to write er*tic but it got changed. Women should not think about men in an er*tic way either.

You didn’t answered my question. Why women are allowed to see pictures of men in a magazine? They also can start to think in er+tic way looking at the pictures.

Greenbelle

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:59 pm
very simple:

I call it "Jihad Judaism"
which means we keep upping the ante, using the Torah inappropriately;
more related to obsessive compulsive tendencies that are unhealthy.

making things assur when they are completely muttar

and then intimidating anyone who objects, by saying outright or by implying that they are less halachic, less interested in tznius.

It's sheker, plain and simple.

would be more HONEST to write the following disclaimer on the inside cover of every edition:

Due to a business decision related to our obsessive compulsive clientele, who are unable or unwilling (too lazy) to discriminate between halacha and frenzied political correctness, we are not publishing pictures of females. We don't want to be boycotted and lose market share.

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:59 pm
delicious wrote:
See, I didn't say "I Dont think so."
I specifically said I was not damaged by this, yet see that many were.
And then specifically said THAT I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH WOMEN IN MAGAZINES

Are you even reading my posts?

Yes, I am reading your posts. My "read" was that since you grew up without seeing any female figures in magazines and you feel you turned out just fine, and not "less than," you see no problem with the non-inclusion of said females.

I did then note that later you said you have no problem with pictures of women in magazines.

I am just trying to tie down whether you, delicious, feel that the current policies in place for frum media are acceptable/healthy or unacceptable/unhealthy (notwithstanding your DH's opinion on the matter), since you seem to be batting from both sides of the plate in this thread.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:00 pm
IrenaFr wrote:
You didn’t answered my question. Why women are allowed to see pictures of men in a magazine? They also can start to think in er+tic way looking at the pictures.

Oh, I'm ok with women in a magazine or newspaper. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
You said that keeping women out of magazines is ok, because you personally feel respected. Thats what you said.

Quote me please.

I said I personally wasn't damaged. I didn't say it's okay to keep them out.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:02 pm
delicious wrote:
Well then you would have read that practically it's a discussion, where the husband ends up wanting to please his wife.

and for the rarity that he decides to stick to his, then yes, I respect his decision as final

I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS.

So relax, this is what I do, but you should not do so.

Keep your blood pressure even

That's Laura Doyle's theory on men. They will do what we want because they want to please us - and they will want to please us if we follow these six simple steps.

You might not see a connection to embracing this way to living in a world where women's pictures aren't including in print media. I do. I think it made an impact beyond 'not tznuis'.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:03 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Yes, I am reading your posts. My "read" was that since you grew up without seeing any female figures in magazines and you feel you turned out just fine, and not "less than," you see no problem with the non-inclusion of said females.

I did then note that later you said you have no problem with pictures of women in magazines.

I am just trying to tie down whether you, delicious, feel that the current policies in place for frum media are acceptable/healthy or unacceptable/unhealthy (notwithstanding your DH's opinion on the matter), since you seem to be batting from both sides of the plate in this thread.

My opinion is not what I am voicing. Only my experience with the education of no women in magazines.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:06 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Nope. I said I wouldn't want MY picture in a magazine. That's MY personal call. That's not a blanket statement about keeping all women out of magazines.

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:06 pm
delicious wrote:
[/b]

My opinion is not what I am voicing. Only my experience with the education of no women in magazines.

Do you have an opinion? I would like to know what it is...

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:12 pm
delicious wrote:
Nope. I said I wouldn't want MY picture in a magazine. That's MY personal call. That's not a blanket statement about keeping all women out of magazines.

No that's not what you said.

Here's your quote:

delicious wrote:
I grew up with magazines that didn't have women's faces.

I never got the message that we are shameful or less than

But some women do get that message. Thats what I was saying.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:21 pm
hot chocolate! wrote:
well I'm no lawyer,no lobbyist either. just a young jewish wife and mother who yearns for purity.

This is a perfect example of where this kind of thinking leads - that any glimpse of women and/or girls (no matter the age or level of tznius) is antithetical to “purity.”
Page 12 of 21   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics