Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do you want women in a Magazine
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 19  20  21  Next

Why do you want women in magazines
For inspirational reasons (Role Models)  
 20%  [ 33 ]
I believe equal for men and women  
 21%  [ 35 ]
Only little girls  
 15%  [ 24 ]
It's not a halacha, I don't believe in Chumros  
 42%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 160

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:05 pm
gingertop wrote:
Aaand... I just saw this on twitter

https://twitter.com/avigrin10/.....77120

A set of shas in the hamodia had the word nidda blurred from the cover.

Sometimes I feel like they're just trolling us.

Wow! Ridiculous

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:29 pm
I voted the last option but need to add:

I believe in chumros if they keep you back from transgressions of Halacha.
But not seeing women (especially on paper) is just a shtus.

aquad

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:32 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It's not just magazines.

I grew up on a certain Hagaddah Shel Pesach that had these black and white drawings of both girls and boys at various points.

A few years ago my husband decided it was time for new Hagaddas. He brought home these gorgeous, glossy hagaddas BUT THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WOMEN OR GIRL in them. The Seder picture has a Totty and a Zeidy and a whole bunch of boys crowded around. Guess the women and girls were tired and all went to sleep, huh? The drawings of the Makos....all men. Yetzias Mitzrayim - all men. Gorgeous painting-like drawings, but the women were totally cut out.

DH totally did not realize when he looked at it and bought it. Clueless. Just saw the pretty pictures and thought we would like it.

So we've been cut out of history already.

It bothers me. It's ridiculous, we can't even draw little girls anymore, never mind pictures ?!

I have to look extremely hard to find sefarim (megillah, hagaddah, siddur, etc) with pictures of girls. And the market is only so big- we can't sustain a 'with girls' and 'without girls' option. Everyone buys the same Artscroll siddur.

The other reason this trend bothers me is because I'm disturbed by the Photoshopping of history. There have been numerous incidents where women were Photoshopped out, or images altered to make them more frum. You want to crop or blue an image? Fine. But historical revisionism of my heritage is offensive and disturbing. Our enemies already try to change our history, why are we helping them?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:38 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Oh, you hit the nail on the head. Give it another few generations and they will use these pictures as 'proof of our mesorah'. That women didn't walk out on streets, didn't sit with the men and boys at the shabbos table, etc, were completely segregated from society & stayed hidden away. The extremists and revisionists will come running with these photos, and what will be able to say then?

Extremism doesn't start overnight. And just look at the continuing demands from school and society, it all keeps moving in that direction. And Lev Tahor didn't develop overnight either, they just moved quite faster than everyone else. If we continue to have these absurd rationalizations instead of putting a stop to these actions, what options will our grandchildren have left available to them?

And in 500 years, they'll think that Jews killed their female children, and held h0m0z3xuality up to be the ideal (that's why there are only men at the table), with women used only for procreation.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:54 pm
aquad wrote:
The other reason this trend bothers me is because I'm disturbed by the Photoshopping of history. There have been numerous incidents where women were Photoshopped out, or images altered to make them more frum. You want to crop or blue an image? Fine. But historical revisionism of my heritage is offensive and disturbing. Our enemies already try to change our history, why are we helping them?

Absolutely right. You know who else was a fan? Stalin.
https://www.history.com/news/j.....ching

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
And in 500 years, they'll think that Jews killed their female children, and held h0m0z3xuality up to be the ideal (that's why there are only men at the table), with women used only for procreation.

NOW THIS is the dystopian novel I want to read.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:58 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
NOW THIS is the dystopian novel I want to read.

But will it be filth or erotica?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:59 pm
imasoftov wrote:
But will it be filth or erotica?

Wow you went there LOL
Basically just Jewish Handmaid's Tale I guess

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:20 pm
Not to derail the thread, but don't worry...pictures of women are alive and well and circulated daily throughout the frum jewniverse...via shadchanim.

I would hazard a guess that many people (even on this board) who defend the decision of the magazines and frum media to erase women have no problem getting a stack of girls' pictures when their sons are in shidduchim. And, I am fairly sure their husbands and sons see them as well.

"Oh, but where are the pictures of the boys?," you may ask. Not needed...if they wear pants and are breathing, that's all the girl needs to know.

Our society needs help.

hot chocolate!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:20 pm
I dont!
and im horrified that some do.
"we need mashiach NOW"

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:32 pm
hot chocolate! wrote:
I dont!
and im horrified that some do.
"we need mashiach NOW"

What is horrifying to you? You are horrified by Rabbi Kanievsky?

hot chocolate!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
What is horrifying to you? You are horrified by Rabbi Kanievsky?

What EXACTLY did he say?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:36 pm
y’all know this talk is as pointless as speaking to an anti Vaxxer, right? If you really wanna make a difference get off the internet and speak to people who actually think that this is how it’s supposed to be( they are not on the internet). Once you find out their reason you can speak to their Rabbonim.
All your reasonings are just speculation....

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:38 pm
hot chocolate! wrote:
What EXACTLY did he say?

He was shown the proof of the book about his wife and asked why there were so many pictures of him, when the book is about her.
He also gave his stamp of approval to the entire book.

Do you know something that he does not know? Are you horrified that he allowed the book to be printed?

hot chocolate!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:38 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
y’all know this talk is as pointless as speaking to an anti Vaxxer, right? If you really wanna make a difference get off the internet and speak to people who actually think that this is how it’s supposed to be( they are not on the internet). Once you find out their reason you can speak to their Rabbonim.
All your reasonings are just speculation....

agreed . its pointless. just wanted to show that not all frum women believe in women pics in magazines.
its a shame

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:39 pm
hot chocolate! wrote:
agreed . its pointless. just wanted to show that not all frum women believe in women pics in magazines.
its a shame

Still waiting to hear why it HORRIFIES you that frum people want to see frum women's pictures in print?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:40 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Wow you went there LOL
Basically just Jewish Handmaid's Tale I guess

Shall we pitch it to Margaret Atwood? Couldn't be weirder than the MaddAdam books.

BTW, she's supposedly coming out with a sequel to Handmaid's Tale. I still haven't seen the show. I wonder if I should read it (the sequel) first.

Sorry for derailing.

hot chocolate!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
He was shown the proof of the book about his wife and asked why there were so many pictures of him, when the book is about her.
He also gave his stamp of approval to the entire book.

Do you know something that he does not know? Are you horrified that he allowed the book to be printed?

I honestly don't know the details f the story but this was NOT a blanket statement! he asked about his very very MODESTLY DRESSED WIFE, in a BOOK ( not a weekly mag) and for a one time thing.
I can't see where this has anything at all to do with this at all.

hot chocolate!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:42 pm
watergirl wrote:
Still waiting to hear why it HORRIFIES you that frum people want to see frum women's pictures in print?

It just does. its pointless. its non jewish. its a downward spiral. its impossible. its sad.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:44 pm
hot chocolate! wrote:
I honestly don't know the details f the story but this was NOT a blanket statement! he asked about his very very MODESTLY DRESSED WIFE, in a BOOK ( not a weekly mag) and for a one time thing.
I can't see where this has anything at all to do with this at all.

OK. So lets say that this was an urban legend and he never said this. I'm ok with that.

He gave his stamp of approval for the pictures in the book. Does that horrify you?

How is that different than the same very very modestly dressed women's head shots?

Does it HORRIFY you that the Lubavitcher Rebbe insisted on printing photos also?
Page 5 of 21   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics