Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Having your personal color palette done
1  2  Next

fig

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:31 pm
My friend is trying to convince me to go to a lady who specializes in what colors make you look your prettiest. Its very expensive and I’m wondering if it’s worth it. Has anyone had it done? What was your experience ?

paperflowers

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:37 pm
I never heard of this before so I’m not speaking from experience. But before this friend said anything did you feel like you needed help figuring out what looks good on you? People often give solutions to problems that don’t yet exist.

If you are interested, then a one time consultation may give you the skills up dress more confidently in the future, so it could be worth the price.

trixx

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:46 pm
Ugh I posted a longer response then saw its not anon enabled so I took out a lot of details.

I think this is a community thing. In mine it's super common to get it done. I did it, was helpful, no surprises in the colors (they were all represented in my makeup already - I'm very artistic and have a good sense of color) but it's also material, cut, fabrics, flowers, stones, general style info, and home decorating things like wood, stone etc. It has definitely helped me narrow down and refine my personal style, no regrets. I dressed well before but I make better purchases now.

yihyetov

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:52 pm
I would love to do this! Can anyone recommend color analyst for ny/5towns area?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:20 am
This sounds really cool! Anyone know of someone who offers this service in Monsey or Lakewood?

Yummymummy3

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:59 am
My friend has done this and is so happy that she has. She's loving wearing all the colours (yes in England we put a u in that word) that suit her and she was so excited to get rid of the blacks.
Enjoy it.

Israeli_C

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:12 am
Yummymummy3 wrote:
she was so excited to get rid of the blacks.

Oy such racism!
Joke!! Joke!! Btw I'm also a 'colour' ima Tongue Out
My mom did this consultation before and while most of it she was already aware of, it gave her helpful hints for things like the right shade of lipstick etc. I'd totally invest in this if I knew of a place nearby.

L25

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 7:58 am
if you don't feel comfortable spending the money there is stuff online that you can look at that will categorize people in to "seasons" and see what colors look good on each season and then play around with that. There are also swatches that you can buy for each season so that you have what to compare clothing that you are buying with. It might be someplace to start. I haven't bought the swatches yet but I've been looking online.

I grew up with this idea since I have an aunt who is in to it. I do think that colors makes a big difference in how people look. For example I don't wear "pure white". Even my wedding gown wasn't pure white. I showed my dd how I looked in pure white to make a point about coloring and she agreed that it really doesn't look good on me.

I've only heard of it for colors, not for all the things trixx included. I also don't have any friends who've done this that I know about. Wonder which communities this is "typical" for.

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:59 am
L25 wrote:
if you don't feel comfortable spending the money there is stuff online that you can look at that will categorize people in to "seasons" and see what colors look good on each season and then play around with that. There are also swatches that you can buy for each season so that you have what to compare clothing that you are buying with. It might be someplace to start. I haven't bought the swatches yet but I've been looking online.

I grew up with this idea since I have an aunt who is in to it. I do think that colors makes a big difference in how people look. For example I don't wear "pure white". Even my wedding gown wasn't pure white. I showed my dd how I looked in pure white to make a point about coloring and she agreed that it really doesn't look good on me.

I've only heard of it for colors, not for all the things trixx included. I also don't have any friends who've done this that I know about. Wonder which communities this is "typical" for.

The real philosophy (if it could be called real lol) is a whole personality is a season so spring wears soft silks and winter wears structured fabrics etc. I know a midsummer who has velvet rose colored furniture. Someone else is a spring and has tons of soft gray in her home. Also it's not 4 seasons, there are many in between, for example a late winter/early spring who can wear some softer colors versus a pure stark winter who only wears contrasting colors. It really works in real life, when you see it you can just tell.

I wouldn't do online swatches, I mean good luck try it out why not but that's really the same as buying a makeup book and diagnosing your skin tone instead of just walking into a makeup counter and having someone there tell you.

crust

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:37 am
Can anyone post a contact of someone that does this? I think it'll make a perfect gift for someone. Thanks!

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:43 am
What determines the season of a person? Does it go by the season they’re born in?

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:07 am
I’ve seen the idea on Instagram and would love to have it done. It’s on my wish list.

crust

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:18 am
cnc wrote:
I’ve seen the idea on Instagram and would love to have it done. It’s on my wish list.

Do you mind sharing the Instagram? Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:18 am
I've never had it done but I know which colors don't look good on me and I stay away from those. I gravitate to colors that please my skin tone.

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:07 am
crust wrote:
Do you mind sharing the Instagram? Thanks

@thesoulstyler

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:40 am
1ofbillions wrote:
What determines the season of a person? Does it go by the season they’re born in?

Nope. Purely hair and eye coloring although anecdotally I find personality to also go with it, which makes sense, just think of someone warm and nurturing that you know of who personifies mother earth - they are probably autumn and wear lots of earth toned colors.

crust wrote:
Can anyone post a contact of someone that does this? I think it'll make a perfect gift for someone. Thanks!

The Instagram above in NY

@jessriolo in NY is also legendary but super expensive. An original student of Suzanne caygill who created the theory

in CA:
https://collive.com/mrs-gordon.....lors/

Quote:
Gordon reads a person from the inside out and with love and intuition, guides the client through his or her natural harmony.

This harmony consists of skin tones, hemoglobin, eye and hair colors.

The entire palette is a guide to the clothing, make-up, line and design best suited to each individual client.

“These colors are our greatest innate gift from G-d,” she explains. “The eye is the window to the soul and through its color the inner self is revealed.”

In Gordon’s Encino, California studio, with its laboratory of 2700 colors, she creates individual palettes for each person.

Last edited by trixx on Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

cheerios

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:44 am
1ofbillions wrote:

No. The seasons are divided by the colors of the season. Fall is browns reds orange... winter is stark white, black and other deep colors, maroon purple, spring is pastel colors etc.

cheerios

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:47 am
It's based on hair and eye color but also skin tone

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:07 pm
trixx wrote:
The real philosophy (if it could be called real lol) is a whole personality is a season so spring wears soft silks and winter wears structured fabrics etc. I know a midsummer who has velvet rose colored furniture. Someone else is a spring and has tons of soft gray in her home. Also it's not 4 seasons, there are many in between, for example a late winter/early spring who can wear some softer colors versus a pure stark winter who only wears contrasting colors. It really works in real life, when you see it you can just tell.

I wouldn't do online swatches, I mean good luck try it out why not but that's really the same as buying a makeup book and diagnosing your skin tone instead of just walking into a makeup counter and having someone there tell you.

How does that work when you live in a home with other people who might be other seasons? I can only imagine DH's reaction if I would tell him I want a certain color couch to match my hair and eyes.

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:52 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
How does that work when you live in a home with other people who might be other seasons? I can only imagine DH's reaction if I would tell him I want a certain color couch to match my hair and eyes.

Aren't you the one decorating the home anyways? Dh has no say in my curtains or rugs (even if I try to get his input lol), he just knows if the place looks nice.
Although ppl I know who have decorated their homes in their style, I just think the overall effect is harmonious and pleasing, and because husbands are usually in line personality wise (remember seasons blend into each other), it works.

It's not a Torah or a science. You can do whatever you want. It just makes sense intuitively. I don't like gray, I would never put it in my home or consider it, I'm clearly not a spring though I don't need a palette to explain to me that I'll never have a gray suede couch.

It's not just matching your eyes, it's a whole aesthetic. You're either the type to get a clean, structured white couch, a traditional overstuffed and saggy brown leather one, or a romantic, Victorian style plush sofa.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics