Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA: Bicycle HELMETS!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 4:07 pm
BH my ds will be fine (once his stitches and cast are removed) after his horrible bike accident. No head injury, BH, BH. Yes he was wearing his helmet. I can't even think about what could have happened if not. The helmet got cracked; his head is fine!!!!

I see tons of kids riding without helmets. My kids don't listen to everything I say but they know helmets are not negotiable. I know you have to choose your battles; this one is necessary.

(Anon because everyone who knows me will recognize this post. Hey y'all!)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 4:20 pm
I'm glad to hear that your son was not more seriously hurt.

I saw a bunch of young boys riding their bikes around my block, and they had all of their helmets piled up in a corner. Obviously their moms sent them out protected, but the second they got outside they decided that it wasn't "cool" anymore. The youngest boy in the group was only about 4 or 5.

I really wanted to yell at them, but none of them seemed to speak English. Sad

Water Chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 5:02 pm
My kids know if they ride without a helmet I will give away their bikes. No negotiations. Some things you don't play around with. Thanks for posting.

Refuah shelaima to your son.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 5:19 pm
A friend of ours is a doctor. He said all it took was a summer shift in ER to convince him that wearing helmets is not negotiable for all bikers. It can save your life or save you from causing permanent catastrophic injury.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 5:50 pm
my dh's helmet also cracked in half when he was a kid. My kids know helmets are non negotiable...

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 5:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
BH my ds will be fine (once his stiches and cast are removed) after his horrible bike accident. No head injury, BH, BH. Yes he was wearing his helmet. I can't even think about what could have happened if not. The helmet got cracked; his head is fine!!!!

I see tons of kids riding without helmets. My kids don't listen to everything I say but they know helmets are not negotiable. I know you have to choose your battles; this one is necessary.

Hi đź‘‹
Bh Bh your DS will be alright. Its really a miracle that he will be. The whole community got such a fright and was saying lots of Tehillim for him.
It's incredible what a huge difference a helmet can make in such a situation.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
BH my ds will be fine (once his stiches and cast are removed) after his horrible bike accident. No head injury, BH, BH. Yes he was wearing his helmet. I can't even think about what could have happened if not. The helmet got cracked; his head is fine!!!!

I practice the “no lid, no ride” 100%. I truly don’t understand how a parent can allow a child out on a bike with no helmet. 🤔

Hope your DS gets better soon.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:06 pm
Stupid question, does a three wheeled non electric scooter need a helmet too?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:34 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

If you want your DCs’ heads to be protected then yes. I don’t let my DCs scoot outside without a helmet. No lid no ride applies to all open wheelie things.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:39 pm
I clearly remember a 9 year old boy in my neighborhood going on his bike without a helmet, being hit by a car and unfortunately landing on his head and being killed.
Was so traumatic. Made us realize why my parents were so insistent re helmets!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:43 pm
There was a 16 year old boy from B.P. that nebach got killed while riding his bike. And he was wearing a helmet..
So if its meant to be it will happen..

kenz

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
There was a 16 year old boy from B.P. that nebach got killed while riding his bike. And he was wearing a helmet..
So if its meant to be it will happen..

That sounds like an excuse not to wear one. Please don’t use a terrible tragedy to excuse careless and dangerous behavior. Of course there can still be tragedies chas v’shalom but there would be so many more without consistent helmet wearing.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:56 pm
The police at the time had told us that wearing a helmet could have saved his life!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 7:02 pm
Well this 16 year old was wearing a helmet.
I know the family. So sad.

Metukah

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 7:34 pm
A year ago we had a similar story. Ds was on his bike, knocked over by a non vigilant driver. He fell on his head, but BH his helmet protected him, barely even a scratch. BH.

happy12

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

In my house the rule is if it moves you wear a helmet --- that includes scooters, pogo ball, pogo sticks and roller blade.
My nephew was in a bike accident. He,went straight into a tree headfirst. The helmet shattered but saved him from serious injuries.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:29 pm
happy12 wrote:
In my house the rule is if it moves you wear a helmet --- that includes scooters, pogo ball, pogo sticks and roller blade.
My nephew was in a bike accident. He,went straight into a tree headfirst. The helmet shattered but saved him from serious injuries.

That's what I thought. Thank you

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:57 pm
What I cannot fathom is how kids ride in the middle of the street, no helmet, and many of them on smartphones!! They zig zag in the street for fun, not even looking if cars are coming. These are non Jewish kids, so since I don't even know which kid belongs to which family I can't even say anything. This time of year is scary to be a driver in my neighborhood.
OP, I hope your son has a refuah shelama!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:02 pm
My kids go so fast on their 3 wheel scooter that a helmet is a must. If they ride without their helmets we take away their bikes.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:10 pm
I have a question. How important is it to strap the helmet tightly under the chin? I am very strict about helmet wearing but they complain that the strap itches or is sweaty and they end up loosening it.
Does the helmet offer zero protection if not strapped snugly?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics