Home

Nursery in hospital
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


987gold




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:12 pm
I wrote a letter about need for nursery in Maimonides and this is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting us with regard to the issue of newborns rooming with their mothers at Maimonides Hospital. We discussed this with MMC leadership at our monthly meeting on 6/26. We raised the issue of babies rooming in with their mothers. The hospital administration assured us that individuals have the option of sending their baby to the nursery. The hospital will encourage mothers to keep their baby in the room for bonding, However, anyone may request to have their baby stay in the nursery.

If you have any questions please contact Vaad Refuah at 877-973-3824

 

 

Esti Karp

Vaad Refuah

620 Foster Ave

4th Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11230

(347) 529-3032
Back to top

mig100




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:16 pm
Doesn't say much... very nice u can request it.

Who's leaving their baby in an empty nursery?? Without any nurses??
Back to top

shanarishona




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:25 pm
That was so nice of you
Back to top

yersp




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:28 pm
A relative of mine recently gave birth there. She tried sending the baby to the nursery for the first night and they refused. She was exhausted from a long drawn out labor and delivery and nothing doing.
So I don't believe that they're so accommodating
Back to top

Gneshe




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:00 am
Roomimg-in is what's being done all over now and most hospitals don't have nurseries anymore. It's not just Maimonides.
Back to top

mazeltov




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:49 pm
What happens when the mother has a c section and can't stand up in the beginning?
Back to top

mfb




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:55 pm
yersp wrote:
A relative of mine recently gave birth there. She tried sending the baby to the nursery for the first night and they refused. She was exhausted from a long drawn out labor and delivery and nothing doing.
So I don't believe that they're so accommodating


That’s exactly what this email was trying to say. They are once again going to have a nursery but they won’t offer it to you. If you ask they will take the baby there and I would presume have a nurse there to watch.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:08 pm
These days the default is to have the baby stay in the room with mama, and nursery is only by request, and with a good reason. It is also dependent on how much space is available.

If you have a C-section or other complications, you usually have your mom stay in the room with you, or an older sister, younger aunt, anyone who can help you out when the nurses are busy in other rooms.

When DD was born, her birth mom had an emergency C-section, and a post op infection that kept her in bed for 5 days. She could barely move.

I stayed with her the whole time, nursing DD, changing diapers, swaddling, talking to doctors. Every time a shift changed the poor nurses were as confused as all heck!

The birth mom pointed to me (while I'm nursing DD) and said "Oh, I had the baby, but SHE is the mother!" We ended up having to post a sign on the recovery room door that said "ADOPTION" to avoid any more awkward conversations.
Back to top

cnc




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
These days the default is to have the baby stay in the room with mama, and nursery is only by request, and with a good reason. It is also dependent on how much space is available.

If you have a C-section or other complications, you usually have your mom stay in the room with you, or an older sister, younger aunt, anyone who can help you out when the nurses are busy in other rooms.

When DD was born, her birth mom had an emergency C-section, and a post op infection that kept her in bed for 5 days. She could barely move.

I stayed with her the whole time, nursing DD, changing diapers, swaddling, talking to doctors. Every time a shift changed the poor nurses were as confused as all heck!

The birth mom pointed to me (while I'm nursing DD) and said "Oh, I had the baby, but SHE is the mother!" We ended up having to post a sign on the recovery room door that said "ADOPTION" to avoid any more awkward conversations.


Maimonides has tiny rooms with two people in a room. It’s not feasible to have an additional adult with each patient in the room at all times after birth.
Back to top

Marathon




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:35 pm
Gneshe wrote:
Roomimg-in is what's being done all over now and most hospitals don't have nurseries anymore. It's not just Maimonides.


I gave birth in monmouth in NJ and they asked me "do you want to have the baby through the night or do you want us to watch him in the nursery?"
Back to top

Ahuva's Mommy




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:02 pm
Marathon wrote:
I gave birth in monmouth in NJ and they asked me "do you want to have the baby through the night or do you want us to watch him in the nursery?"
At NYU recently, they asked me the same thing.
Back to top

fraimal




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Jul 14 2019, 11:05 pm
Marathon wrote:
I gave birth in monmouth in NJ and they asked me "do you want to have the baby through the night or do you want us to watch him in the nursery?"

Monmouth always ask if u want to room with ur baby, but there's always always option to send ur baby back to nursery at any time. Ot seems like based on other posts that maimonities hosp CLOSED the nursery.
Back to top

pizzapie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 1:42 am
I live OOT and the hospitals here closed their nurseries several years ago. They then reopened them after several months due to decreased patient satisfaction scores. Mothers are encouraged to room in with their babies but can send their babies to the nursery if needed.
Back to top

Gerbera




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 6:38 am
mazeltov wrote:
What happens when the mother has a c section and can't stand up in the beginning?


It's incredibly difficult. Where I live there have not been hospital nurseries for YEARS. My eldest is 11 and I only know from rooming in. I've had two csections and 6 vaginal births and you just call the nurse when you need help...noone takes your baby at all for any period of time. You leave completely exhausted but you don't stay very long here anyways - 24 hours for vaginal birth and 48 hours a csection.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 8:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
These days the default is to have the baby stay in the room with mama, and nursery is only by request, and with a good reason. It is also dependent on how much space is available.

If you have a C-section or other complications, you usually have your mom stay in the room with you, or an older sister, younger aunt, anyone who can help you out when the nurses are busy in other rooms.

When DD was born, her birth mom had an emergency C-section, and a post op infection that kept her in bed for 5 days. She could barely move.

I stayed with her the whole time, nursing DD, changing diapers, swaddling, talking to doctors. Every time a shift changed the poor nurses were as confused as all heck!

The birth mom pointed to me (while I'm nursing DD) and said "Oh, I had the baby, but SHE is the mother!" We ended up having to post a sign on the recovery room door that said "ADOPTION" to avoid any more awkward conversations.

The issue with the bolded is that there are so many people like me - no mother (died), no sisters (mine lives in another country), no local family, friends all have young kids at home and husband is at home with our other kids. I was alone in the hospital post c-section and was left to fend for myself. I am loud when I need to be and was ok, but left after the first night because it was so bad.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 8:53 am
watergirl wrote:
The issue with the bolded is that there are so many people like me - no mother (died), no sisters (mine lives in another country), no local family, friends all have young kids at home and husband is at home with our other kids. I was alone in the hospital post c-section and was left to fend for myself. I am loud when I need to be and was ok, but left after the first night because it was so bad.


Oh no, that sounds awful.

DD's birth mom was in the hospital for 5 days, because of the post op infection. We were lucky to have a single room with a big reclining chair by the bed, so I could stay with her.

I've noticed in Israel that single rooms are not a thing here, and neither is privacy.
Back to top

Gerbera




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 11:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh no, that sounds awful.

DD's birth mom was in the hospital for 5 days, because of the post op infection. We were lucky to have a single room with a big reclining chair by the bed, so I could stay with her.

I've noticed in Israel that single rooms are not a thing here, and neither is privacy.


Single rooms aren't a thing in Ontario either - can't speak for the rest of Canada. You are put in a ward which is a room with 4 mothers and their babies with one washroom. If you wish to pay or have private insurance coverage you can get a semi private room or private but its first come, first served and even if you want to pay - there isn't always an empty room. It becomes hard because no overnight guests are allowed to stay with a patient unless they have a private room so you really are on your own there! It all comes down to money...you don't even get a diaper for the baby anymore!
Back to top

mig100




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 12:07 pm
Gerbera wrote:
Single rooms aren't a thing in Ontario either - can't speak for the rest of Canada. You are put in a ward which is a room with 4 mothers and their babies with one washroom. If you wish to pay or have private insurance coverage you can get a semi private room or private but its first come, first served and even if you want to pay - there isn't always an empty room. It becomes hard because no overnight guests are allowed to stay with a patient unless they have a private room so you really are on your own there! It all comes down to money...you don't even get a diaper for the baby anymore!


the joys of the world of socialized medicine- us americnas are joining the club

I posted this before on this topic- its interesting to me. everytime there is a discussion about healthcare- the canadians pipe up that socilized medicine is great ( no unaffordabel premimium, high deductibles, out of network doctors, insurance denials etc)

recently on a thread discussing american healthcare- I commented that its such a pity we are heading towards socilized medicine. once apon a time- americans had better care.

the canadians all argued that their system is wonderful. a number of posters attacked me for critizing obamacare- I apparently only care about the wealthy ( as if I know how ill be able to afford healthcare lol Wink )

I find this converstaion ammusing and proving me (unforatunatley) right.

I am glad canadians are happy with their medical system and care. apparently us americans are far from satisfied with it.

unfortunately- we are now paying extronical premuims AND getting very little ( other then lots of medical bills for denied claims)

thank you obamacare Can't Believe It - I hope someone actually beniffited from it
Back to top

jerusalem90




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 12:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh no, that sounds awful.

DD's birth mom was in the hospital for 5 days, because of the post op infection. We were lucky to have a single room with a big reclining chair by the bed, so I could stay with her.

I've noticed in Israel that single rooms are not a thing here, and neither is privacy.


Ichilov has single rooms in maternity.
Back to top

baby12x




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jul 15 2019, 12:29 pm
mig100 wrote:
the joys of the world of socialized medicine- us americnas are joining the club

I posted this before on this topic- its interesting to me. everytime there is a discussion about healthcare- the canadians pipe up that socilized medicine is great ( no unaffordabel premimium, high deductibles, out of network doctors, insurance denials etc)

recently on a thread discussing american healthcare- I commented that its such a pity we are heading towards socilized medicine. once apon a time- americans had better care.

the canadians all argued that their system is wonderful. a number of posters attacked me for critizing obamacare- I apparently only care about the wealthy ( as if I know how ill be able to afford healthcare lol Wink )

I find this converstaion ammusing and proving me (unforatunatley) right.

I am glad canadians are happy with their medical system and care. apparently us americans are far from satisfied with it.

unfortunately- we are now paying extronical premuims AND getting very little ( other then lots of medical bills for denied claims)

thank you obamacare Can't Believe It - I hope someone actually beniffited from it



I'd rather pay $0 for the entire birth and hospital stay and shell out a few cents for a diaper then pay at minimum a few thousand for a birth and get free diapers.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If that's your argument against socialized medicine its pretty weak
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Montefiore childrens hospital
by amother
14 Yesterday at 11:21 pm View last post
Does the university of Miami hospital have a bikkur cholim
by amother
8 Wed, Dec 04 2019, 6:08 pm View last post
Something like Hilltop hospital?
by amother
0 Sun, Dec 01 2019, 10:46 pm View last post
How can I send something to Mount Sinai Hospital
by amother
7 Fri, Nov 29 2019, 11:57 am View last post
Boston Children's Hospital
by amother
5 Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:51 pm View last post

Jump to: