Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Totally clean movies my kids can watch
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:22 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Kids who haven't been exposed to anything and are extremely sheltered may be traumatized by stuff like that, I agree.
I do think OP is being unrealistic, you cant have it both ways.I mean, expect your kids to stay completely sheltered and never even see a scene where, say, a Male character shakes the hand of a female character. So if she wants her kids to stay sheltered to that extent, there probably won't be anything that meets her criteria and she better just not show her kids *any* movies.

I agree with this. At some point your kids will see a couple holdings hands on the street or some other innocent male female touching. How do you explain this to them?

salamanca

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Feminism is.

I really, really hope you are not equating the two. You don't think women should have the right to vote? Why cuz it's a "slippery slope"?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:37 pm
salamanca wrote:
I really, really hope you are not equating the two. You don't think women should have the right to vote? Why cuz it's a "slippery slope"?

Well feminism lead to women getting the right to vote, which I was pretty sure was something we could all agree is a good thing? My kids liked Mary poppins and the sequel.

I also would vote for Pixar movies as clean, as far as I can recall, though can be scary for young kids. What was the bad message in wall-e though?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:45 pm
As a kid we watched Arthur which I think is for the most part very clean, lots of Pixar movies - old ones like toy story, bugs life, monster's inc (a bit scary), and Tom and Jerry. Disney also had some great old movies like Robin hood, Oliver and company and 101 dalmatians. From my experience, we never really equated animated characters with romance because they're not humans. Depends on how strict you want to be, I guess.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:08 pm
The suffragists in Mary Poppins are actually a somewhat mocking caricature of early feminism.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:14 pm
DrMom wrote:
The Johnny Depp version was creepy. I can't blame your kids!

The 1971 Gene Wilder film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is a much better film (although it features girls singing so that might not work for you).

Yups. Your kids probably watched the creepy version of it. The original one is great.

chipmunks

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:04 pm
singleagain wrote:
Do you mean the line

"Though we adore men individually we agree that as a group they're rather stupid"

As a kid that not only went over my head ..I didn't even properly hear that lyric till I was older... In fact, she so very much over enunciate the word stupid it didn't sound like stupid.

Really? I distinctly remembered it from when I was little. I definitely noticed, although I was a sensitive kid with a dad who is very much the type to notice. Wink

chipmunks

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:06 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Yups. Your kids probably watched the creepy version of it. The original one is great.

Probably, but their descriptions of what disturbed them didn't sound too different. Oompaloompas and various disturbing "consequences" for spoiled kids. I think the '70s oompaloompas are pretty out there, too, but again, it depends on what OP's kids are used to and what their sensitivities are, I guess.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:05 pm
op here - thx for all the ideas. do any of you have a link they could send of a good clean helen keller movie theyve watched? (there's a lot of versions out there)and also a good national geographic (tornadoes,floods, hurricanes or s/t like that)?
now that my son is over 9 I rather keep away from women singing movies..keep the ideas coming though.. arthur and charlie and choc factory (which I own) my kids are bit too big for now.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:48 pm
The title of the Helen Keller movie people are probably referring to is called The Miracle Worker. But I doubt your younger kids would like/appreciate it. It's an old black and white film and VERY intense.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:54 pm
OP: u forgot to post anonymously on your last post

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:06 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
I read somewhere that PL Travers insisted that there be no romance whatsoever between Bert and Mary Poppins before she sold Walt Disney the rights to make the movie. But holding hands/arms or hugs isn't romance... you won't be able to get away from that. I think it's a wonderful movie.

Don't know if this was mentioned yet or matters to you, but Mary Poppins had a scene where there's a quick but passionate/relieved kiss on the lips when the dad walks in while the mom is on the phone with the police reporting him missing. It's near the end. Not sure why no one ever remembers this.

I watched it dozens of times as a kid and remember the scene vividly.

gold21

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:18 pm
Maybe E.T. could work, I believe it's totally clean.... But I haven't watched it in a long time so you should double check.

The first Free Willy movie is another possibility. Only the first one. After the first one, the main character, as he is a bit older, does have a girlfriend. So I would stick with the first one. And again, double check.

And the newer version of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory is definitely not 100 percent clean. My kids have watched it. It would not be my first recommendation based on what you're looking for.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:26 pm
E.T. has some crude language.

Free Willy, I'm sure there are scenes of the foster parents touching or hugging. If op is picky about that, sounds like she is.

What about the movie An American Tail?

sweet

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:28 pm
What about tv shows?
Those are all clean..
Paw patrol, rescue bots, sophia, super wings, boss baby..

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:31 pm
chipmunks wrote:
Really? I distinctly remembered it from when I was little. I definitely noticed, although I was a sensitive kid with a dad who is very much the type to notice. Wink

Wait .. do you mean your dad noticed and said something?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
As a kid we watched Arthur which I think is for the most part very clean, lots of Pixar movies - old ones like toy story, bugs life, monster's inc (a bit scary), and Tom and Jerry. Disney also had some great old movies like Robin hood, Oliver and company and 101 dalmatians. From my experience, we never really equated animated characters with romance because they're not humans. Depends on how strict you want to be, I guess.

The newer Arthur episodes are definitely NOT clean! I watched it as a kid so put it on for my 6 year old and promptly switched to the magic school bus. Paw patrol, fireman Sam, Daniel the tiger, curious George, and the magic schools bus are good.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:31 pm
Not for a 12 year old, though....

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:02 am
They should have canceled Arthur a long time ago; the quality and the appropriateness have dropped. (Just an aside, what does it mean if there are different-species couples? All the parents are shown to be of the same species.)

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:31 am
The 1973 animated version of Charlotte's Web might work.

Unless you're not okay with a pig as a main character.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics