Home

Really interesting produce in Hispanic stores
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


southernbubby




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:02 pm
I see lots of funny looking fruits and vegetables. Is that stuff any good? Is it nutritious? They are also selling large bags of rice, cornmeal and black beans. What do they do with it? Also huge pieces of dried fish.
Back to top

Stars




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:18 pm
They eat a ton of rice and bean dishes. Google for recipes. The fruits and veggies, some get cooked, some get fried, some are eaten raw. Do you have any names?
Back to top

BatyaEsther




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:18 pm
Hashem made them, of course they are good! Most of them, when eaten properly, are delicious.
All food (ok, maybe not marshmallows and jellybeans) is nutritious. Specific amounts of different nutrients varies from food item to food item, and whether it has the macro and micro nutrients being sought, varies from person to person based on what the individual is seeking.
The dried fish is bacalado, typically soaked to remove the salt and used to make soup and stews.
Rice and black beans is a cooking staple of many South and Central American communities.
Corn meal is usually used to make tortillas and tamales.
Back to top

icebreaker




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:20 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
Hashem made them, of course they are good! Most of them, when eaten properly, are delicious.
All food (ok, maybe not marshmallows and jellybeans) is nutritious. Specific amounts of different nutrients varies from food item to food item, and whether it has the macro and micro nutrients being sought, varies from person to person based on what the individual is seeking.
The dried fish is bacalado, typically soaked to remove the salt and used to make soup and stews.
Rice and black beans is a cooking staple of many South and Central American communities.
Corn meal is usually used to make tortillas and tamales.


It's bacalao, but Idk if your spell check auto-corrected it Smile
Back to top

BatyaEsther




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:27 pm
icebreaker wrote:
It's bacalao, but Idk if your spell check auto-corrected it Smile

Thank you
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:34 pm
I used to go to Farmers Market and deliberately get exotic produce from the Hispanic and Asian growers and then find recipes. Almost always the stuff was delicious and expanded my horizons.

Peasant cultures all typically ate grain combinations that provided complete protein because animal protein was too expensive and reserved for special occasions. In the "New World" the combination would be rice and corn or rice and beans as wheat was an Old World grain. In Europe the combinations would result in something like kasha and varnishkes which provides a complete protein by combining grain.

The variety of different peppers is excellent - just be careful of Scotch peppers.

My favorites are most of the Asian vegetables since I love stir fry.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:38 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I see lots of funny looking fruits and vegetables. Is that stuff any good? Is it nutritious? They are also selling large bags of rice, cornmeal and black beans. What do they do with it? Also huge pieces of dried fish.


Did you get some names of the vegetables
Malanga, Yuca, Plátano
These are all very delicious and can be prepared in different ways
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:42 pm
Amarante wrote:
I used to go to Farmers Market and deliberately get exotic produce from the Hispanic and Asian growers and then find recipes. Almost always the stuff was delicious and expanded my horizons.

Peasant cultures all typically ate grain combinations that provided complete protein because animal protein was too expensive and reserved for special occasions. In the "New World" the combination would be rice and corn or rice and beans as wheat was an Old World grain. In Europe the combinations would result in something like kasha and varnishkes which provides a complete protein by combining grain.

The variety of different peppers is excellent - just be careful of Scotch peppers.

My favorites are most of the Asian vegetables since I love stir fry.


I do the same. There's an Indian grocery a couple towns over. I buy produce and figure out the dish from there. It's lots of fun.

I love adding different exotic types of grains and rices to my menu.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:55 pm
cbg wrote:
Did you get some names of the vegetables
Malanga, Yuca, Plátano
These are all very delicious and can be prepared in different ways


Sounds like what I saw as well as breadfruit.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:56 pm
Squishy wrote:
I do the same. There's an Indian grocery a couple towns over. I buy produce and figure out the dish from there. It's lots of fun.

I love adding different exotic types of grains and rices to my menu.


Where is it?
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Where is it?


Nanuet. I don't know the name.

Where is the Hispanic store? I love cooking different kinds of food from different countries. Maybe I will do empanadas tomorrow. I am already soaking the beans for rice and beans. My plantains are ready. I have yuca.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:09 pm
Squishy wrote:
Nanuet. I don't know the name.

Where is the Hispanic store? I love cooking different kinds of food from different countries. Maybe I will do empanadas tomorrow. I am already soaking the beans for rice and beans. My plantains are ready. I have yuca.


Chiles rellenos are delicious.

Fried plantains are wonderful.

I know you enjoy a potchke in the kitchen sometimes and a mole can be wonderful. There are a lot of different moles but the mole negro is the most famous - it's the one that is made with lots and lots of ingredients including a bit of chocolate, some nuts etc.

And squash flowers - these are more of a South western thing.
Back to top

naturalmom5




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:22 pm
SB
Go to the store by 59/rt 45 and get plantains .. They look like bananas..

Fried them and serve with Cinnamon and ice cream
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:24 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
SB
Go to the store by 59/rt 45 and get plantains .. They look like bananas..

Fried them and serve with Cinnamon and ice cream


I got mine from Costco. The frum stores are carrying them now. I love them really ripe and sweet. DH loves them not so ripe and sweet.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:25 pm
I serve plantains savory with a Cuban style chicken with lots and lots of garlic :-)
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
Chiles rellenos are delicious.

Fried plantains are wonderful.

I know you enjoy a potchke in the kitchen sometimes and a mole can be wonderful. There are a lot of different moles but the mole negro is the most famous - it's the one that is made with lots and lots of ingredients including a bit of chocolate, some nuts etc.

And squash flowers - these are more of a South western thing.


My mouth is watering. Do you have a flan recipe you recommend preferably from South America?

I have a whole Hispanic theme for tomorrow.
Back to top

ez-pass




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:43 pm
Yuca is delicious. My kids love it. Just peel it, throw it in the food precessor till ground and fry into patties or lay very very thin in tray and bake with some oil. It's actually great for someone who has allergies to eggs or potatoes and can use for latkes.
Plantains I just bake till soft. Yummm
Back to top

shirachadasha




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:58 pm
A really good cherimoya can taste like Italian ices.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:03 pm
ez-pass wrote:
Yuca is delicious. My kids love it. Just peel it, throw it in the food precessor till ground and fry into patties or lay very very thin in tray and bake with some oil. It's actually great for someone who has allergies to eggs or potatoes and can use for latkes.
Plantains I just bake till soft. Yummm


I make yuca by peeling and then boiling chunks first and then frying them. Then they get salted. People who never had this before go wild for this dish.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
My mouth is watering. Do you have a flan recipe you recommend preferably from South America?

I have a whole Hispanic theme for tomorrow.


I’m not a flan kind of gal. Have you had Tres Leches Cake. It is delicious and is made with three kinds of milk.

Here’s a brownie recipe from Frontera’s Grill which is Rick Bayless’ Mexcan restaurant in Chicago.

Chocoholic Chile Brownies

This brownie recipe was designed with the chocoholic in mind.  It features four kinds of chocolate: semi-sweet, unsweetened, cocoa and chocolate chips.  The freshly ground pasilla negra chile enhances the chocolate and adds a mild hit of spiciness.  Don't be tempted to substitute commercial chili powder or cayenne for the pasilla.  If  you're looking for a substitution, go with ancho chile powder which is readily available. 

Servings: 16 Brownies

INGREDIENTS

1stick unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces plus extra for the pan.
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons pasilla negro chile powder (see testing notes)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the rack in the middle position. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all four sides to create a sling. Butter the parchment. Set aside.

In medium heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the butter, and both the chopped semisweet and unsweetened chocolates, stirring occasionally until smooth. Let cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, chile powder, cocoa and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, both sugars and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture. Then switch to a rubber spatula to stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread into corners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper overhangs and transfer to a cutting board to slice.

Testing Notes:

Stem and seed 3 pasilla chiles. Lay them on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 4 minutes or until toasted and dry. Let cool and then grind in spice grinder. You should have about 2 1/2 tablespoons of pure chile powder
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Any clothing stores open on chol hamoed?
by amother
4 Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:26 pm View last post
How to get groceries for free when stores take off the shelf
by amother
19 Mon, Oct 07 2019, 3:37 am View last post
Which BP stores or banks are giving out Jewish calendars to
by amother
44 Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:32 pm View last post
Which BP stores have biggest selection of Checked Vegetables
by amother
2 Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:23 am View last post
Whats with the fashion styles in stores today? Zara?
by amother
74 Tue, Sep 24 2019, 6:44 am View last post

Jump to: