Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you get rid of rainbow bedding
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 1:42 pm
Just throwing it out there... 'Rainbow Baby' is also a term used in a community some of us are painfully members of.

Nobody owns rainbows.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:12 pm
marina wrote:
Ladies, you have to be very very careful, there are so many wicked agendas out there designed to pervert our families and transform our children into immoral demons. In my house, for example, we don't buy anything with rainbows as well as bananas, zucchini, cucumbers, hot dogs, long-stem mushrooms, peaches, melons, nectarines, or cherries. It's really important to be vigilant in every possible way.

You're awesome and an inspiration to us all. I can only hope to one day reach your madrega of diligence.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:31 pm
Just for fun, I asked the OP's question on a private chat where political statements and gender issues are often discussed. Obviously, I avoided saying anything about Imamother or otherwise identifying where or how the question came up.

Here are a sampling of responses:

Leigh (US straight male with kids)
"Just make a needlepoint pillow that says, 'No Homo.' That'll end the confusion."

James (UK gay male w/o kids)
"You know it’s gonna be harder to avoid the indoctrination of the world for a child if you are surrounding her with “pride driven objects”. THOUGH I think if you take to the bible and establish the real importance of the rainbow, with the story of Noah. Then you’ll be just fine. And your child will understand the true meaning of the rainbow. #TakeBackTheRainbow"

Anthony (US gay male w/o kids)
"Ugh! This is why I have no gay friends. If you're uncomfortable with rainbows, maybe go for a gothic theme?"

Sarah (US straight female with kids)
"I say let her have the rainbows. It's her bedroom, not a backpack."

Ferretitus (UK/US gay male w/o kids)
"Mums should stand strong against the cultural appropriation of rainbows!"

There were quite a few stronger responses, most with the hashtag #TakeBackTheRainbow. Anthony and Ferretitus asked that I indicate that their advice was "f*g approved." I did not post the query on Twitter. The kind of people who follow me on Twitter would probably start deluging Pottery Barn with angry "You don't speak for me!" emails.

I did not say anything about Marina's obvious omission of eggplants from the naughty list. The less said about eggplants with that group, the better. Very Happy

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:34 pm
Fox wrote:
Just for fun, I asked the OP's question on a private chat where political statements and gender issues are often discussed. Obviously, I avoided saying anything about Imamother or otherwise identifying where or how the question came up.

Here are a sampling of responses:

"Just make a needlepoint pillow that says, 'No Homo.' That'll end the confusion."

James (UK gay male w/o kids)
"You know it’s gonna be harder to avoid the indoctrination of the world for a child if you are surrounding her with “pride driven objects”. THOUGH I think if you take to the bible and establish the real importance of the rainbow, with the story of Noah. Then you’ll be just fine. And your child will understand the true meaning of the rainbow. #TakeBackTheRainbow"

Anthony (US gay male w/o kids)
"Ugh! This is why I have no gay friends. If you're uncomfortable with rainbows, maybe go for a gothic theme?"

Sarah (US straight female with kids)
"I say let her have the rainbows. It's her bedroom, not a backpack."

Ferretitus (UK/US gay male w/o kids)
"Mums should stand strong against the cultural appropriation of rainbows!"

There were quite a few stronger responses, most with the hashtag #TakeBackTheRainbow. Anthony and Ferretitus asked that I indicate that their advice was "f*g approved." I did not post the query on Twitter. The kind of people who follow me on Twitter would probably start deluging Pottery Barn with angry "You don't speak for me!" emails.

I did not say anything about Marina's obvious omission of eggplants from the naughty list. The less said about eggplants with that group, the better. Very Happy

Oh please ask on Twitter!

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:35 pm
Fox wrote:

I love it Applause

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughters room is bedecked in the rainbow line from pottery barn kids, which had posted about pride , alluding to their merch.

I feel gross about my daughter sleeping amongst design that was created with LGBQT agendas.

Would you bite the bullet and buy new bedding?

Yes.

I threw out a gap t-shirt that was a rainbow heart design on a black background. Didn't think anything of it when I bought it, but then I realized.

I just don't like having agendas forced on me.

That being said, if the kid isn't making the association herself, and she loves the bedding, I might not be so strong about it.

But I wouldn't buy anything decorated with rainbows from any of the companies that support Pride Month (what happened to days? Why do veterans only get a day, but pride gets a month?!).

Last edited by debsey on Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

glamourmom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:39 pm
to answer the question, no I would not get rid of any décor in my house with a rainbow if it was just meant to be a rainbow. I think that as adults we should be able to differentiate what was intended to promote LGBT or what was just meant to be kiddie, fun, colorful and magical. not all rainbows are created equal.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:41 pm
I wouldn't throw out, but would probably not buy in future. For reasons debsey already stated.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I don't think OP is afraid rainbow sheets will make her child gay, she just doesn't want something that reminds her of sin in the house.

Like how you might not want your child to have a Ted Bundy doll, but doesn't mean you're afraid it will turn your kid into Ted Bundy.

That's assuming that having a clean cut all American hero type Ted Bundy doll was a thing, and then people found out he was a serial murderer, and still held on to them.

It's sad that I would have to look twice at buying any new rainbow item but I can't seem getting rid of stuff I had already.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:46 pm
debsey wrote:
But I wouldn't buy anything decorated with rainbows from any of the companies that support Pride Month (what happened to days? Why do veterans only get a day, but pride gets a month?!).

This is more sensible response than throwing out bedding or eschewing all multicolored objects. For that matter, why have companies jumped all over the Pride Month merch but haven't done the same for Black History Month or Women's History Month I wonder?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:51 pm
glamourmom wrote:
to answer the question, no I would not get rid of any décor in my house with a rainbow if it was just meant to be a rainbow. I think that as adults we should be able to differentiate what was intended to promote LGBT or what was just meant to be kiddie, fun, colorful and magical. not all rainbows are created equal.

Well yeah, I mean just look at your avatar. You and a few other ladies. I think it should be banned on imamother. I'm going to report this post. And cancel my subscription!

Cool

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:56 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
This is more sensible response than throwing out bedding or eschewing all multicolored objects. For that matter, why have companies jumped all over the Pride Month merch but haven't done the same for Black History Month or Women's History Month I wonder?

Better merch, and their parades are a whole lot more fun.

I don't know what kind of "agenda" -- other than equal rights and lack of discrimination -- you think that Pride has. But you can safely wear rainbows without fear of being co-opted, at least if you're a kid.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:57 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Well yeah, I mean just look at your avatar. You and a few other ladies. I think it should be banned on imamother. I'm going to report this post. And cancel my subscription!

Cool

it does seem to be a popular avatar and with reason. its pretty. not for one sec did I see an LGBT rainbow in that, though.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:58 pm
urban gypsy wrote:

My guess is it's easier to plaster a rainbow on things, then to up famous women and famous blacks to incorporate.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:02 pm
singleagain wrote:
My guess is it's easier to plaster a rainbow on things, then to up famous women and famous blacks to incorporate.

Yeah it was kind of a rhetorical question but of course you are correct...

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Better merch, and their parades are a whole lot more fun.

I don't know what kind of "agenda" -- other than equal rights and lack of discrimination -- you think that Pride has. But you can safely wear rainbows without fear of being co-opted, at least if you're a kid.

I am not opposed to the Pride agenda, but if OP is, it would make more sense to do some research about her future purchasing habits than throw away a bedding set she has already bought and that nobody would see and that likely isn't even remotely connected to Pride.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:14 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Maybe we need to ban reading that parsha too as it alludes to a rainbow? 🌈 🌈

Actually, according to some opinions, this is one of the most LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 parshas that there is. Perhaps this is the true origin of the rainbow symbol? 🌈

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:15 pm
glamourmom wrote:
it does seem to be a popular avatar and with reason. its pretty. not for one sec did I see an LGBT rainbow in that, though.

Well I got some women hugs for some of my comments on this thread. Perhaps the huggers want to come out of the closet? Hiding

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:21 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Actually, according to some opinions, this is one of the most LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 parshas that there is.

How so?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:43 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
On this note, I just remembered a funny story. As a teen I wanted my mother to buy me this adorable backpack with a picture of a bunny on it. She freaked out when I showed it to her.
Turns out it was a playboy bunny symbol.
I had no idea what she had against bunnies LOL

That’s funny but my story is worse. Can't Believe It I bought my 8 year old son a wallet at the dollar store. It had a bunny on it but it was otherwise a great wallet. I was happy with my metzia and gave it to my son who was thrilled. When he showed it to my dh my dh freaked out.
I had to convince my son that the amazing wallet I had just bought him was actually babyish because of the bunny. He was upset. So we compromised by coloring over the bunny. I let him keep the wallet. TMI
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics