Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you get rid of rainbow bedding
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:44 pm
debsey wrote:
What happened to days? Why do veterans only get a day, but pride gets a month?!.

May is National Military Appreciation Month.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:50 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
How so?

Something allegedly happened with Cham and Noach. But maybe ask a better Torah scholar than me.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:52 pm
For those of you who are sensitive to rainbows, are you also particular to not have non-kosher stuffed animals in the house?

As for the bedding, if you're talking crib sheets for a little girl, I don't see a problem with it. If your 16yo DS wants to take the bedding to yeshiva, you'd probably be having a VERY different conversation right now.

For the record, my DD has a rainbow flag hanging up in her room, and I'm not mad.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:58 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Something allegedly happened with Cham and Noach. But maybe ask a better Torah scholar than me.

There are two basic opinions:
1. Ham had relations with his father or
2. He, erm, neutered Noah

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:06 pm
There are also questions about the relationship between King David and Jonathon.

To a lesser degree, I've heard some speculate on Ruth and Naomi.

According to Solomon, "There's nothing new under the sun". I guess that applies to rainbows, too.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
For those of you who are sensitive to rainbows, are you also particular to not have non-kosher stuffed animals in the house?

There is nothing wrong with having a non-kosher animal, real or stuffed.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:09 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

Chabad is extremely stringent to avoid non kosher animals in children's possessions.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:10 pm

YMMV

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....t=211

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:12 pm
glamourmom wrote:
it does seem to be a popular avatar and with reason. its pretty. not for one sec did I see an LGBT rainbow in that, though.

Just kidding .
Reminds me of every Rorsach test joke I've heard.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:12 pm

According to a very large percentage of Chassidim, and especially Lubavitch, it is not done.

The Lubavitcher Rebbe was very specific that if you wanted your kids to grow up to be frum, you would not allow any pictures, books, toys, clothes, or other representations of non kosher animals in your home.

If I want to buy a present for a Chassidish friend's child, I always ask first! I guess I have to be careful about rainbows now, too.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:19 pm
glamourmom wrote:
what is our world coming to? is there one person that bought this barf-inducing doll???

We should do a spin-off on inappropriate dolls/figurines. I came across a Vincent Van Gogh figurine with detachable ears (and a bandaged ear to replace it with) that I thought was crass and insensitive towards mental illness.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:19 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Actually, according to some opinions, this is one of the most LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 parshas that there is. Perhaps this is the true origin of the rainbow symbol? 🌈

They actually davka chose the rainbow because of its Biblical origins. It's a way to stick it to the same Bible that forbids homozexual activity. Also because one of the reasons Hashem decided to bring the flood in the first place was because of homozexual activity, so by taking the rainbow from the Noach story, it's getting back at that condemnation in a way.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:23 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
They actually davka chose the rainbow because of its Biblical origins. It's a way to stick it to the same Bible that forbids homozexual activity. Also because one of the reasons Hashem decided to bring the flood in the first place was because of homozexual activity, so by taking the rainbow from the Noach story, it's getting back at that condemnation in a way.

"they"? It was designed by one person.

Sounds like an unauthrorized midrash.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:27 pm
youngishbear wrote:
We should do a spin-off on inappropriate dolls/figurines. I came across a Vincent Van Gogh figurine with detachable ears (and a bandaged ear to replace it with) that I thought was crass and insensitive towards mental illness.

These figurines were never meant to be marketed to children.* Most of them are unsafe for children anyway.

They are being sold to adults with questionable taste, a dark sense of humor, and are extremely immature. Newsflash: The world is full of people who like this stuff. B'H, you don't hear of it in our community.

*While we're at it, I'm not so thrilled with Barbie, either.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:36 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Nice try. Complete fiction, but really nice try.

The truth is a lot more pedestrian. Right down to eliminating two stripes/colors because cloth in those colors wasn't easily commercially available.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:46 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
YMMV

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....t=211

[removed]

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:47 pm
[removed]

LOL shots fired Punch

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:48 pm
[removed]

Is this a reportable offense? Completely uncalled for.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:49 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
LOL shots fired Punch

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

PASS THE POPCORN! Very Happy

icebreaker

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:54 pm
Lol, I have a sign on my front door that says “Welcome Home” with a rainbow background. I didn’t even put two and two together until Pride Month 🤣 I was just like ohhhhh lol.

Don’t think you need to get rid of the bedding unless the child wants to.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics