Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fast day
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:51 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Hi amother Brown. I wanted to explain something to you about people who pm nasty things.

In my experience, the only people who pm nasty things are people who are suffering. Either in a bad marriage, either have no friends, no love, but they have an abundance of anger. Anger to spare, even.

So, instead of reading a post and just ignoring it, like 99% of the posters here, they just pick a "victim ", latch on and let her 'have it."

It IN NO WAY means you were wrong, at fault, unintelligent, or anything else they imply. Same with hugs. Its passive aggressive and the people know what they are doing. The nice people here hug because they actually feel your pain, and if you were near them, they would actually hug u in person.

Please feel free to be yourself here. 99% of the posters love you as a fellow ima. I promise

Thanks. This was so kind. As much as we would like this site to be a warm and supportive place, cyberspace is populated by all types. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I'm not willing to be attacked, either. If I have something worth saying, then it will stand on its own, without a screen name.

I am pretty certain that the mother who was nasty to me was going through a hard time. If I hadn't been her punching bag, maybe she would have picked on someone else. Who knows?

I stay on this site because of the fascinating discussions and the extraordinary strength and kindness of so many posters. Like you. So thanks again.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not a rav nor do I play one on TV but call yours. In this weather, without a/c I would assume one would get a ready heter to drink.

Bh power came back. I'm not fasting. Neither of my adult dc, who is working in camp. Only place that has AC is the dining room. I told her not to push herself. She didn't make it to chatzos. It's hard enough without fasting.

momX4

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:11 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
For Yom Kippur it’s up to three days. And then from day three to seven with shiurim ( that might be only for c section)

Def not more then that

Please ask your Rabbi. I had a baby right before You Kippur. It was 4 days actually. Two different types of Rabbis from my neighborhood called me because they were concerned. One told me not to fast at all (he is chasidish, we are Heimish) the other Rabbi is more American, he told me to fast with shuirim. He also gave great advice. Start shuirim from morning, don't wait to start. Snackers with eggs, tuna or liver. Drinks should be juice as well as water.

I did the shurim and felt totally fine, as fine as I can be right after birth.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:13 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
No, I will not be fasting as I just had a baby last week BH.

Mazel Tov! Loads of nachas! And real hugs! Make sure you get real rest!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:55 pm
Rappel wrote:
If you're within 30 days of birth or miscarriage, then you are obligated to eat on a fast day. Same for YK or Tisha B'Av.

May you only experience joy from now on!

For YK, one doesn't fast at all within 3 days of birth, shiurim is just if it's less than a week (or if your rav otherwise stipulates to take shiurim for other reasons - if there's a chance someone will need to break their fast, they will be told to take shiurim from the start in order to avoid breaking completely). It's much stricter than tisha bav - it's the only fast that's doiraisa.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:46 pm
Not fasting.
Could not watch or read or listen to anything inspirational, could not even Daven shacharis, because I am watching the kids while dh is fasting.

STMommy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:52 pm
Still fasting. Not sure if I can make it thru our crazy dinner/bedtime routine without drinking water, tho.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:58 pm
Do you say aneinu if you broke the fast?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
In my circles, all women over bas mitzvah fast unless pregnant, nursing, or sick. I am not fasting today because I'm nursing but I'm planning on fasting on Tisha b'Av. I used to be a good faster as a teenager and young adult, but having children has taken a huge toll on my body and I don't do so well anymore especially in the heat.

I find that I when I fast, it's all about getting through the day but when I'm not fasting I can actually focus on the meaning of the day so fasting seems counterproductive. Anyone else feel like that?

I thought it was just me. Glad to find out there's somebody that feels the same as me! My body just doesn't handle fasting as well as it used to when I was 18 (not that I was the greatest faster then, but definitely waaay better than now). I totally blame pregnancies, nursing...

I'm not pregnant, nursing or postpartum, and women do fast in my community, but I broke my fast at chatzos. It was either that or throw bricks against the wall.... thanks for validating me.

MommyM

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:21 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Do you say aneinu if you broke the fast?

No.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:36 pm
Does anyone use the acetaminophen-caffeine suppositories ? They are miraculous for preventing migraines and headaches during fast days.... I used to be a terrible faster prior to using them.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:40 pm
Age 64, fasting, feeling weak. My heart is pounding and standing makes me dizzy but I think that I can make it until the end of the fast.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:00 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Age 64, fasting, feeling weak. My heart is pounding and standing makes me dizzy but I think that I can make it until the end of the fast.

It sounds like you're dehydrated! Be careful. For what it's worth, if you are feeling like this, most doctors will tell you to eat before you faint CV'S. At least, this doctor is telling you.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:07 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
It sounds like you're dehydrated! Be careful. For what it's worth, if you are feeling like this, most doctors will tell you to eat before you faint CV'S. At least, this doctor is telling you.

Thanks! I plan to daven mincha sitting and then lie down for the rest of the fast. Most of my fasts are like this but if it gets worse than I am out of choices.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm 50+. Can you share your secret for drinking after 8:00 pm in the middle of the night and still getting back to sleep? Very Happy

LOL. I didn't say that I *stay* asleep, just that I get back to sleep. LOL But you know what? I'm very glad each time I get up to use the bathroom, because it means that I hydrated myself enough before the fast!

P.S.: A few more hours till the end of the fast. So far BH I'm still fine. Took 2 naps today.

P.P.S.: I've never seen that you can't do laundry today. We had houseguests over Shabbat so today after they left I washed the sheets and stuff they had used.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Thanks! I plan to daven mincha sitting and then lie down for the rest of the fast. Most of my fasts are like this but if it gets worse than I am out of choices.

Thinking of you. How are you feeling?

simba

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:17 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Does anyone use the acetaminophen-caffeine suppositories ? They are miraculous for preventing migraines and headaches during fast days.... I used to be a terrible faster prior to using them.

Oh sure! That’s what got me through today. Sorry for the TMI.

Quick joke: My neighbor told me his sister works in a pharmacy in Monsey and someone walked in asking for the decaf version!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:23 pm
simba wrote:

Quick joke: My neighbor told me his sister works in a pharmacy in Monsey and someone walked in asking for the decaf version!

Rolling Laughter

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:24 pm
simba wrote:

Rolling Laughter

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:30 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Thinking of you. How are you feeling?

BH, about half an hour to go but I am in bed
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note