Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please post your Food Safety tips here...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:27 pm
I just learned on another forum that it is unsafe to use galvanized trays to cook or bake in. They are only intended to be used for serving food, not for the actual cooking or baking.
It made me think that there must be so many other things I do not know that might be hazardous to someone's health if not done properly.
Please let's post info about food safety that can help keep us healthy and safe. Thanks.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:06 pm
https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/.....e.pdf

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:08 pm
Generally when you buy a utensil it has some indication of where it's safe to use it- oven, dishwasher, microwave. Keep an eye out for that sticker or tag.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:12 pm
Well, just In case anyone gets the not so brilliant idea of using unlined copper vessels for cooking or serving food (I haven’t seen or heard of such a thing, but given the galvanized tray nonsense, it’s bound to happen sooner or later):

Copper reacts with foods to produce extremely poisonous copper sulfate and other compounds. The only food use for which pure copper is safe is beating egg whites. You can find pure copper bowls intended solely for this purpose. Do not even think of using these bowls for anything else, except as dandy helmets for Purim costumes.

Copper is a wonderful metal for cooking because it distributes heat quickly and evenly. However, no one cooks in pure copper vessels. All copper cookware must be lined with another metal, usually tin, to prevent the copper from coming in contact with the food. If you are lucky enough to have real copper cookware, you need to treat the inside very gently to prevent scratching the tin, and you need to have the pan retinned from time to time.

Also, beware of using tin-lined copper in a very hot oven. Tin melts at just under 450Degrees Fahrenheit. Given the margin of error inherent in your oven’s temperature calibration and uneven distribution of heat in your oven,you could easily start melting the lining of your pan as you are roasting your vegetables or turkey.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:17 pm
Washing chicken may cause salmonella and other bacteria to spread on the chicken.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:25 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Washing chicken may cause salmonella and other bacteria to spread on the chicken.

I think this is one of the worst pieces of advice. It only causes bacteria to spread of you allow it to spray onto your dishes or counters... it’s absolutely disgusting to not rinse off chicken before using it! It’s filthy, the people in the butcher dept are handling it and have you ever looked while they’re cutting it back there??? If your careful while rinsing not to let the dirty water splash onto your dishes or counters, it is absolutely sanitary to do so.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just learned on another forum that it is unsafe to use galvanized trays to cook or bake in. They are only intended to be used for serving food, not for the actual cooking or baking.
It made me think that there must be so many other things I do not know that might be hazardous to someone's health if not done properly.
Please let's post info about food safety that can help keep us healthy and safe. Thanks.

Do not allow the grocery packer to put your raw meat, chicken or fish in the same bag as other groceries which are ready to eat. Many times it will leak and can contaminate other edibles.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:28 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I think this is one of the worst pieces of advice. It only causes bacteria to spread of you allow it to spray onto your dishes or counters... it’s absolutely disgusting to not rinse off chicken before using it! It’s filthy, the people in the butcher dept are handling it and have you ever looked while they’re cutting it back there??? If your careful while rinsing not to let the dirty water splash onto your dishes or counters, it is absolutely sanitary to do so.

Totally disagree with you on this one

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:41 pm

If you think the meat is filthy - don't purchase it. what is a rinse under the sink going to accomplish?

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:51 pm

You should probably never eat in my house because I don't think I've ever rinsed chicken. What is it that you think is on there? Dirt? Looks clean to me..and if it's bacteria, water wouldn't wash it away..

(I was once in the back room where they cut/chop all the meat and poultry- it looked normal to me. I'm genuinely curious what you saw that was disgusting)

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:56 pm
The dull less shiny side of the foil should touch the food not the other way, ex:wrapping a sandwich, covering a tray of pot etc.

egam

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:56 pm

That might be your opinion, but CDC and USDA do not agree with you. Cooking chicken to a proper temperature will kill any bacteria.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:34 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
If you think the meat is filthy - don't purchase it. what is a rinse under the sink going to accomplish?

Are you kidding? Washing off the blood, all the disgusting gook, the fat, the butchers hand prints!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:35 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
The dull less shiny side of the foil should touch the food not the other way, ex:wrapping a sandwich, covering a tray of pot etc.

Mine is shiny on both sides

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:10 pm
Are you kidding? Washing off the blood, all the disgusting gook, the fat, the butchers hand prints!

Omg where do you live, and what century?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:14 pm
Bring soups, sauces, and gravies to a boil when reheating. Even if you only want to eat it at room temperature.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:36 pm
Amother papaya, where do you buy chicken that it's so filthy?? Handprints, seriously?? They wear gloves for God's sake. The chicken I buy is very clean and I've seen the workers packaging it. It's extremely sanitary and clean, nothing disgusting.
The health department and USDA say not to rinse chicken.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:39 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Amother papaya, where do you buy chicken that it's so filthy?? Handprints, seriously?? They wear gloves for God's sake. The chicken I buy is very clean and I've seen the workers packaging it. It's extremely sanitary and clean, nothing disgusting.
The health department and USDA say not to rinse chicken.

Perhaps she lives in Israel? Very different standards by some butchers over there to say the least.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:56 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Perhaps she lives in Israel? Very different standards by some butchers over there to say the least.

Yes Yes Yes

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:34 am
zaq wrote:
Well, just In case anyone gets the not so brilliant idea of using unlined copper vessels for cooking or serving food (I haven’t seen or heard of such a thing, but given the galvanized tray nonsense, it’s bound to happen sooner or later):

Copper reacts with foods to produce extremely poisonous copper sulfate and other compounds. The only food use for which pure copper is safe is beating egg whites. You can find pure copper bowls intended solely for this purpose. Do not even think of using these bowls for anything else, except as dandy helmets for Purim costumes.

Copper is a wonderful metal for cooking because it distributes heat quickly and evenly. However, no one cooks in pure copper vessels. All copper cookware must be lined with another metal, usually tin, to prevent the copper from coming in contact with the food. If you are lucky enough to have real copper cookware, you need to treat the inside very gently to prevent scratching the tin, and you need to have the pan retinned from time to time.

Also, beware of using tin-lined copper in a very hot oven. Tin melts at just under 450Degrees Fahrenheit. Given the margin of error inherent in your oven’s temperature calibration and uneven distribution of heat in your oven,you could easily start melting the lining of your pan as you are roasting your vegetables or turkey.

Many thanks for posting this! If someone has skillets or pots tin inside and copper outside you are lucky, they make the tastiest food (but they need to be properly tinned)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen