Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys elementary school - Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:00 am
We're feeling a bit lost, and we are hoping some Ima's may have some advice or insight to offer.

We will need to apply to elementary schools this coming September, and we really have no idea in which schools we would fit best.

We've heard all the talk, " you don't really have a choice in the matter", "just apply everywhere", "take what you can get", "it's not up to you", but this is not helpful.

As parents who care deeply about our children's Chinuch and upbringing we would appreciate any insightful and practical advice, the good, the bad, and the ugly on the various boys elementary schools in Lakewood.

A little bit about ourselves... We are both working professionals raising our children in a Torah infused home. We are both from Yeshiva/BY background with an open minded and out of town American twist. We hope to raise Ehrlich Bnei Torah and are looking for a school that focuses on developing Middos, looks at each child as an individual, and helps each student to become the best them that they can be. Both Limudei Kodesh and Limudei Chol are important to us - translation in English is important. We are not impressed by trends or keeping up with the Joneses, and don't ascribe to all the non sense that many feel are important to "fit in", but we certainly fall within the "Yeshiva" framework.

If anyone has helpful advice to offer based on personal experience we'd love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:06 am
Bais Hatorah (small, warm, great staff, translate into English and learn how to lein, learn a lot, the families in the school value secular education, simple non fancy clientele)

Orchos Chaim

Tashbar (non- yeshivish parent body)

Rabbi Zelinger's yeshiva, I don't remember the name, I think it's Even Yisroel (slightly on yeshivish side)

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:11 am
what grade are u applying for?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:14 am
Rabbi benders school is ohr yehuda. I think they teitch in yiddish. Ohr hatorah is more yeshivish. If u want English tashbar, bais hatorah, even yisroel, ytt, and orchos Chaim

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Rabbi benders school is ohr yehuda. I think they teitch in yiddish. Ohr hatorah is more yeshivish. If u want English tashbar, bais hatorah, even yisroel, ytt, and orchos Chaim

You're right; I'll amend my list

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:20 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
what grade are u applying for?

Primary

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:20 am
Shagas Aryeh

keym

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:26 am
Some really good schools so far.
I'd look into
Tashbar
Bais Hatorah
Shaagas Aryeh
Even Yisroel
Ohr Yehuda
Orchos Chaim has a wonderful name, but they also do have more of a presence of a "fancier" crowd
Ohr Shraga

There's also Rabbi Censor's place but I don't know the name.

hillary

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:30 am
Rabbi Censor's school is Nesivos Hatorah

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:48 am
Thank you for all the replies so far.

We have heard of all the schools by name , but looking for a bit more insight - on any of these particular schools as to why you feel it would be a good fit for us.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all the replies so far.

We have heard of all the schools by name , but looking for a bit more insight - on any of these particular schools as to why you feel it would be a good fit for us.

Because they meet the requirements you wrote in your op...

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:00 pm
One of the problems with there being so many boys schools in Lakewood is that we all try to define them a little too much in order to tease out which school fits us perfectly. The truth is there is a lot of overlap in types of families in each school. But since you are looking for more detail , I can offer you the following:
Orchos Chaim is a well run , professional school with a definite lean toward wealthier balebatish families. Tashbar is also very well run, professional, with the crowd overall less yeshivish and less “brand name” than Orchos Chaim but still a very with it crowd . If you really want simpler crowds , you might want to consider schools other than the above. Shagas Aryeh and Even Yisroel have similar crowds of working Bnei Torah , warm schools . Even Yisroel is newer and the oldest class just finished 5th . Not very familiar with the others. But again there’s lots of variety and overlap and don’t get hung up on any one description you hear because then you’re just falling into the Lakewood trap of boxing everything in ...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:03 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
One of the problems with there being so many boys schools in Lakewood is that we all try to define them a little too much in order to tease out which school fits us perfectly. The truth is there is a lot of overlap in types of families in each school. But since you are looking for more detail , I can offer you the following:
Orchos Chaim is a well run , professional school with a definite lean toward wealthier balebatish families. Tashbar is also very well run, professional, with the crowd overall less yeshivish and less “brand name” than Orchos Chaim but still a very with it crowd . If you really want simpler crowds , you might want to consider schools other than the above. Shagas Aryeh and Even Yisroel have similar crowds of working Bnei Torah , warm schools . Even Yisroel is newer and the oldest class just finished 5th . Not very familiar with the others. But again there’s lots of variety and overlap and don’t get hung up on any one description you hear because then you’re just falling into the Lakewood trap of boxing everything in ...

Thank you. Very insightful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:06 pm
Anyone have any experience with Rabbi Censor's school, Nesivos Hatorah?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:11 pm
or maybe YTT, its very warm, teitch in english, it got a more modern name over the years but they were makpid on who they took in for next years primary

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:22 pm
I kno

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:24 pm
I know someone who sends to nesivos hatorah and is definitely modern by typical Lakewood standards. Skirts over the knees, no stockings, with sandals, etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:26 pm
u may find a person dressed like that in any school. Ive seen a bais faiga mother not wearing stockings either... You have to go by the bulk of the parentbody.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
u may find a person dressed like that in any school. Ive seen a bais faiga mother not wearing stockings either... You have to go by the bulk of the parentbody.

That's true. I know someone who sends to bais faiga who dresses like that too. I'm not sure if that's general parent body at nesivos hatorah , but that's all I know.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:34 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I know someone who sends to nesivos hatorah and is definitely modern by typical Lakewood standards. Skirts over the knees, no stockings, with sandals, etc.

Interesting, that wasn't necessarily the impression I got, but then again, I am pretty clueless when it comes to the different schools so thank you for your input. I understand it may not represent the entire parent body, but that is why I am interested having this thread continue. Not to hear Loshon Hara, but to gain insight from others experiences so that I have a general feel of where to even apply.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics