Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What’s mitzvah do you connect to the most? And why?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:45 am
What mitzvah do you just effortlessly gravitate towards?
Do you know what connects you?
What do you do that makes it so easy for you?
Big or small!

Please share, I want to feel inspired today (:

Mine is tzinuah

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:18 pm
I really enjoy visiting sick people in hospitals. I don't do it with random strangers, but when someone I know is sick or had surgery, I love to go visit. Sometimes even if a friend of mine is doing Bikur Holim for someone I don't know, I'll tag along. I like to bring people food and hear about their illness/surgery if they feel like talking about it (I ask if they want to talk about it).

honeymoon

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:23 pm
Shabbos candle lighting. I light one candle for each member in my family and I think about each one while lighting and I daven for them. It makes me feel connected to Hashem, my family and most of all myself.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:20 pm
I know you don’t want to hear this, but...Bal Tashchis.
I grew up in a home in which frugality was both a philosophy and an economic necessity. Wasting anything was shameful for both reasons.
Later on I learned about environmental conservation, which added another layer of commitment.
Thrift, improvisation and making do are at this point B”H less an economic imperative than a choice.
What can I say, I gravitate to the practical. Somebody has to.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:29 pm
Kriyas shema al hamitah.
I feel like it is like telling God goodnight.
Even during times that I felt I could not daven at all, I always said it before going to sleep at night. If I couldn't say it, I wouldn't sleep until morning.
It's kabbalas ol malchus shamayim, it means that I'm accepting the fact that Hashem is my God.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:29 pm
Making a Kiddush Hashem when I have the opportunity.

My mother was extra careful and pointed out different situations of chilul Hashem when I was growing up. For example, we were st a Medicaid clinic and the patients were all people living in poverty , my mother used to be embarrassed when another frum person walked in with her kids all matching, dressed to the nines and wearing a ton of jewelry. She felt it was an “eyesore” and told me that they were oblivious to that fact that dressing like this when you are considered “poor” is a chilul Hashem.
I’ve seen my mother run to assist an elderly Italian man that fell and was bleeding. She brought him to his house and gave him bandages etc.
All of our non Jewish neighbors would ring the doorbell asking her to come outside to talk because they respected and liked my mother.
It was little things like this that I guess got passed down to me.
I see that my oldest son picked up on it too. He was recently in Home Depot and one of the employees told him that he never met such a kind and caring Jew like him and was surprised that he’s orthodox and could behave so well and be nice and cordial.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:35 pm
Nichum aveilim.
I like to hear people talk about the admirable qualities of the niftar.

Annon because I know it's an uncommon choice of mitzva and might sound weird.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:41 pm
I love pru urvu, even though it's hard. I do not have easy pregnancies or easy children, but I have this intense drive to have kids. My parents always wanted more kids and we loved all babies who walked into the house had a big fuss made over them.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:47 pm
The mitzvos I feel the most connected to Hashem are the 3 mitzvos of women, challah, mikvah and lighting shabbos candles. Unlike davening, bentching or bedtime shema which many times are said by rote unfortunately without too much kavana, these 3 mitzvos I take the time to concentrate and daven to Hashem.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:01 pm
Listening to people
Feeling along with them
Helping people
I guess it's Azov Tazov imo

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:09 pm
Hachnosas orchim. I always loved hosting (it the idea of it, before I was married and had my own home) but the year that I spent in seminary is what really made it meaningful for me.
It was my first time away from home, and unlike almost everyone else I had no friends or family in Israel to go to for shabbos, so every week was hugely stressful for me to find a place. I was so so so grateful to the people that not only hosted me, but added little touches that I so craved in my homesick state.

So now I make it my business to invite people who might have nowhere to go- singles, divorcees, people living far from families, etc. I know what it's like to not know where you'll be spending your next shabbos/yt meal, and I know how much it means to someone when they remember your favorite soda, or make sure you get your soup just the way you like it.
I'm not a fancy hostess by any stretch, but if I make even one person feel less alone, less forgotten, then I know I'm doing okay.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:54 pm
Ahavas yisroel. I love everyone and try to understand everyone and see things from their point of view.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:00 pm
Well, once every 28 years we bless the sun and I have done it twice and hope to do it again. I gravitate toward it because it is so easy.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:39 pm
Rosh Chodesh is special in my heart.

I have cousins in Israel who make a Yom Tov type of meal every Rosh Chodesh, and it was so inspiring. The dad only ate fleishig on Shabbos, YT, and RC.

I also love the moon and space. The only 2 things that have a monthly cycle in all of nature are women and the moon. I would love to go to the moon as a tourist!

ETA: I used to be so sad if I missed benching RC on Shabbos, and was afraid of a bad month, but then DH told me I can do it after Shabbos too! (I don't know if that's ideal or he just told me that to calm me down!)

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:53 pm
Technically, the rambam doesn't consider teshuva itself to be a mitzvah. But it's so meaningful to me the way a person can wipe the slate clean by admitting to wrongdoings, regretting them, and making different choices. It's such a powerful concept and we all can access this power.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:57 pm
I don't know if this is truly a mitzvah, but walking in Eretz Yisroel. I've heard that every step is a mitzvah.

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:58 pm
Lighting shabbos candles. I have a sense of inner peace when I light candles. I start preparing for it right after havdala of the previous week, when I empty out the leftover wax etc.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:58 pm
Brachos out loud! My 2 and a half year old knows them ans says them at this point!

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:59 pm
Tzedaka. I love to give people things and I love to share. Not something I had to work on. Something I was born with.

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:52 pm
Shmiras Haloshon. (Guarding speech)
I feel like cringing when I hear gossip about people and I try not to gossip myself although sometimes it's hard to know where to draw the line with very close family news and stuff. Or when I or someone else needs to vent about something.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics