Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What’s mitzvah do you connect to the most? And why?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

advocate

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:59 pm
I love this question! As I read the beautiful responses, it makes me think of something Rebbetzin Feige Twerski taught in MAOR Outreach Training Program course years ago--if you talk about your authentic connection to a mitzvah, even if the other person doesn't connect to it, your own connection will inspire them. For me, I love hashavas aveidah! I even bought a metal detector to try to help people find their lost objects! (This hasn't been successful YET!). Once, my husband and I were zoche to return a headstone which had been stolen from a local cemetery. I love thinking about the the tribe of Dan traveling behind all the others, picking up lost objects (and souls!). Eliahu HaNavi returning things (yes, I have an Eliahu HaNavi box). I guess even Shidduchim is a kind of hashavas aveidah, and certainly kiruv, too.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:02 pm
V’nishmartem me’od. I take sleeping very seriously. I try not to miss a night.
Bo shabbos bo menucha. I hibernate in bed as much as natural catastrophes allow Wink

simba

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:11 pm
Kibud Av Va’eim.
I am so grateful for my parents and really make an extra effort to do things for them that will bring them nachas and comfort.

Shabbos.
I love the peace that comes with it. The world and it’s worries cease to exist and it’s just me and my family (and many guests)!

Hoda’a.
I really do take the time to stop and count my blessings and than Hashem for them.

I met someone I know in the supermarket tonight and I asked “how are you?”
He responded “grateful”.
I love that, it really resonated with me that we should be conscious of The good we have.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:15 pm
I have always loved giving tzedakah. Even if it's just a small coin to a homeless person.

When I lived in NYC I always kept loose change in my pockets, and it was always given out between the time I left work, and the time I got home. It's the same thing now, when I go to Jerusalem.

I love it because it constantly reminds me that there is always enough to go around, and that you are more blessed than you think. It keeps me mindful of all the things I have to be grateful for.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:20 pm
Sever Panim Yafot.
To me it is easy and it parlays into so many other Mitzvot including making a Kiddush Hashem (yes, I talk to cashiers at stores) and Bikur Cholim (I work in a hospital).
It is just who I am. Saying good morning, exchanging pleasantries, and finding something to compliment (I.e. When I pass a member of the housekeeping staff- thanking them for working so hard and keeping the hospital so clean) (security-inquiring about their family and wishing them a safe and quiet day with no security concerns)( a random visitor-how beautiful the flowers they are bringing are and wishing a complete and speedy recovery to their loved one)(thanking the cashier at the supermarket and saying that I hope her shift end soon as she must be on her feet all day and they must kill and she must be exhausted)(thanking the bagger and saying that I appreciate his putting the eggs on top so they don't get crushed)(complement a woman's shoes, purse or dress if it is different and eye catching )......
This is my oxygen.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:20 pm
Mikvah
My kallah teacher who failed me in some areas, did a superb job in instilling the simcha shel mitzva and the close connection to Hashem I feel when I prepare and then dip. I always add in my own bakashos after the last dip, and when I walk up the steps of the mikvah I feel so cleansed, as if I'm entering Hashem's huge hug.

When people talk about pushing off going, I can't relate. I have this drive to go at the earliest opportunity even if it's late at night, Shabbos/YT, in the freezing cold, or I need to miss a simcha or play Twister with my schedule to make it work.

I don't enjoy the other aspects of Taharas Hamishpacha, and the sometimes negative vibes around bedikos and shailos on Imamother have gotten to me, but mikvah is still dear to me.

(I wish I had the courage to not go anonymous for this post.)

farm

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:22 pm
Shabbos. How I look forward to it all week! From when I light candles and feel a tangible tranquility descend in my home through havdala (😞) it is the pinnacle of my week and I don’t know how I could feel centered in my life without it.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:37 pm
The mitzvah of living in Eretz Yisrael.
I feel most connected to Hashem here.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:01 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I don't know if this is truly a mitzvah, but walking in Eretz Yisroel. I've heard that every step is a mitzvah.

Every 4 tefachim is.
I also really gravitate to it.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:19 am
kisui rosh
while it was very hard in the beginning it reminds me Hashem is in Charge Kabbalos Ol
I feel it is an "easy" mitzvah now in that there are not a lot of rules or concern that I may be making a mistake as can with some halachos R"L
A friend once told me that we get schar every minute we cover IY"H
now it is a source of pride that we are frum Yidden and proudly show it no matter what anyone else (secular etc) may or may not think or understand
it is very personal for me and part of my being a frum woman

I do feel and believe that my covering has helped create a keli for brochos upon my whole family B"H

this is a great question and thread -- thank you Op and enjoyed all the posters' responses!

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:36 am
Challah. I love baking challah! And the amazing thing is that I do not like to cook or bake at all, in general. But baking challah is my favorite mitzvah.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 6:33 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Challah. I love baking challah! And the amazing thing is that I do not like to cook or bake at all, in general. But baking challah is my favorite mitzvah.
Is baking challah a mitzva? (Other than feeding your family?) I thought the mitzva is TAKING challah.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 6:52 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Is baking challah a mitzva? (Other than feeding your family?) I thought the mitzva is TAKING challah.

When she’s baking she’s taking.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 6:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have always loved giving tzedakah. Even if it's just a small coin to a homeless person.

When I lived in NYC I always kept loose change in my pockets, and it was always given out between the time I left work, and the time I got home. It's the same thing now, when I go to Jerusalem.

I love it because it constantly reminds me that there is always enough to go around, and that you are more blessed than you think. It keeps me mindful of all the things I have to be grateful for.

My grandfather used to take rolls of quarters with him to shul during the week to be able to give tzedaka to the people collecting there.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 7:07 am
rosezee wrote:
What mitzvah do you just effortlessly gravitate towards?

Peru urvu
rosezee wrote:
Do you know what connects you?

DH!
rosezee wrote:
What do you do that makes it so easy for you?

Lots of practice!
rosezee wrote:
Big or small!

Big LOL

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 7:33 am
This thread is making me so sad.

Im thinking if there is a mitzvah I really gravitate towards, or enjoy or whether I just do everything I do by rote and with resentment even. Wish I would have some simcha shel mitzva. I feel like the things that I use to be joyful doing, that joy has left me.
And Im not depressed or anything...

Banging head Banging head Banging head

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 8:57 am
I really appreciate this thread. I have been busy and sort of blah, and I'm am really getting inspired here! For some (hormonal) reason, some of these are bringing tears to my eyes.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:03 am
This is such a beautiful thread! Thank you, OP, for starting it and to everyone who contributed to it.

Mine is taharas hamishpacha. (Although it is by no means easy or effortless.)

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:10 am
Shomer negiah/no premarital relations. It is very intuitive to me to keep my body safe and to myself until I have a real connection and commitment, and that my loved ones be protected in the same way. Nothing is perfect, even after marriage, but this saves so much heartache and trauma.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:59 pm
Saddlebown - maybe yours is mesirus nefesh, doing things even if it’s hard and you don’t feel like it Wink?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics