Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What’s mitzvah do you connect to the most? And why?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:53 pm
Chesed ,I love being able to step in and help people with watching their kids making suppers etc
It's not always easy but I always feel so happy I did it especially when it's to people who would not be getting this help from anyone else

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 11:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have always loved giving tzedakah. Even if it's just a small coin to a homeless person.

When I lived in NYC I always kept loose change in my pockets, and it was always given out between the time I left work, and the time I got home. It's the same thing now, when I go to Jerusalem.

I love it because it constantly reminds me that there is always enough to go around, and that you are more blessed than you think. It keeps me mindful of all the things I have to be grateful for.

I also live in Israel and wanted to ask you, how much you usually give to a homeless person?

Giving 5-10 shekels would feel like a lot to me, being working class. I'd happily give 1 shekel, but haven't been doing that because I'm afraid they'd get mad at being given such a little amount, but I have a friend who says he regularly gives a few 10 agurot pieces.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 12:04 pm
I really connect to chesed and tzedaka.
I grew up very poor neglected and alone.
now nothing makes me happier than helping someone else out in big ways and small.
especially kids.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 1:02 pm
Scent berachot.

I really like plants, and this gives me a chance to marvel at them while blessing Hashem for that marvel.

Similarly - Oseh Maaseh Bereishit, and Birkat hailanot.

top mom

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 2:03 pm
I don't know if it's specifically a Mitzvah, but I Love davening. My favorite is Ashrei. (Kurov Hashem, poseach es yadecha, tov Hashem, ) really makes me feel connected, and I think that's a Mitzvah, so I hope it qualifies, otherwise, report me Wink

eschaya

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 8:42 pm
Asher Yatzar. (I know, it's a bracha, not a specific mitzvah).
I work in critical care and I see firsthand how important every lumen and every organ is and how we really cannot live if any of them is blocked or ruptured (terms in asher yatzar). I find it so incredible and heartening that Judaism has a space carved out for us to acknowledge the wonder that health is, and to thank Hashem for the subtle but miraculous bracha of living and breathing. And the fact that we are able to say this bracha after the most mundane and base of activities allows for appreciation at the very substrate of our existence.

creditcards

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 8:50 pm
I'm always busy making sure not to insult anyone by mistake or making sure everyone is included. I'm also always busy making sure my kids feel heard. I guess that's vahavta lerayacha kamochah?

eschaya

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 9:18 pm
I also love dancing at weddings.
I love to dance in private or in controlled settings but I'm a fairly inhibited person and have difficulty letting loose in public. But somehow, at a wedding, the mitzvah of being mesameach the (chosson and) kallah takes over and I can dance with abandon. I like to think of Izevel and the zchus that dancing for a kallah brings.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 9:30 pm
The Mitzvah of Tzedaka. In my previous marriage, we made just enough to pay for the bare necessities and we didn't qualify for benefits either (besides Medicaid). I was always appreciative when people gave us things, such as hand-me-downs for our kids. I got divorced and remarried and now me and my dh love to give Tzedaka whenever we can.

Surrendered

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 10:22 pm
I love making people happy.
My face is public property, so I try to smile at people when passing them, and saying a good word or compliment.
I also like to give of myself for others, I created small Gemachim for that reason.
I would just call up friends just to say Hi, I'm thinking of you...😃

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 11:06 pm
eschaya wrote:
I work in critical care and I see firsthand how important every lumen and every organ is and how we really cannot live if any of them is blocked or ruptured (terms in asher yatzar). I find it so incredible and heartening that Judaism has a space carved out for us to acknowledge the wonder that health is, and to thank Hashem for the subtle but miraculous bracha of living and breathing. And the fact that we are able to say this bracha after the most mundane and base of activities allows for appreciation at the very substrate of our existence.

This was written beautifully. Thank you!

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:12 am
What a beautiful thread!

I love doing hachnasat orchim. We have guests often for shabbos, and I try to think of people to invite who will feel special or could use some pampering to invite. I love that my kids come home from school on Fridays and ask me "mommy, who are our shabbos guests?" and are disappointed if there are none, even though they know that guests often means giving up their beds and bedrooms, sharing their toys and their parents' attention. It's not always easy, but we have a beautiful home, a beautiful family, and I love to share it.

I love the mitzva of taharat hamishpacha. I don't love the bedikos, and I don't always love the hassle mikva itself, but there is something precious and primal to me about the cycle of separation and reunion. To me there is something almost mystically beautiful about it that I respect.

I love to listen to people talk. I enjoy paying attention to people. I know it makes them feel special, important, valuable, heard, understood. I have in mind that I am making hashem's child feel loved. I'm not sure what mitzva this is, but I love it.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 3:54 pm
Emunah. I love being able to ask for the big and little things. And knowing that even if I don't get what I asked for, Hashem heard me and knows whats good for me.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:07 pm
Definitely Shabbos. The peace and calm is just what I need at the end of a week. I once had a non Jewish supervisor at work tell me that if it wasn’t for “my Sabbath “ I would have lost my mind! She was right. I don’t know how the rest of the world manages without it.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:13 pm
Engaging in self-care so my depression doesn't beat me in the struggle to survive...every time I do something nice for myself I remember that I am doing a mitzvah, fighting to survive for my sake and the sake of my family. The depression sucks but the self care is nice so there you go...my favorite mitzvah right now.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:15 pm
I wish it was tefilla. It should be. I'm emotional. Why not?

But it's not.

I've been going through the motions for a while.

A mitzva that I connect to the most...??

Probably lighting menorah. Oops, DH does that for me now. Sad I miss that minhag of everyone in the family lighting, including girls.

Hmm...

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:18 pm
eschaya wrote:

I work in Dialysis and wow do I never fail to say Asher Yatzar.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:30 pm
This is an amazing, inspiring thread!

I think I'd say v'shinantam l'vanecha. I love trying to help kids love and understand Torah. Even thoughi mess up a lot, I'm still always drawn to trying to understand and appreciate kids, and to help them understand and appreciate Hashem's world through song and story and play.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:37 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Engaging in self-care so my depression doesn't beat me in the struggle to survive...every time I do something nice for myself I remember that I am doing a mitzvah, fighting to survive for my sake and the sake of my family. The depression sucks but the self care is nice so there you go...my favorite mitzvah right now.

You know what, Blush, you beat me to that one.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:17 pm
I connect most with asher yatzar too; I work in neurology. I teach my children the bracha even before they can dress themselves.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics