Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What did u think of eliana Cohen campaign
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:14 pm
Hi, I think chesed fund should have automatically refunded every donor .
They should have sent an email saying something like "thank you for your donation, last minute alternate funding came through and we are refunding you, the donor. If you would still like to contribute to help elianas other expenses, other sick kids etc please click here"
What do u guys think?
I rarely give.to these campaigns. I felt very strongly to give here as she had just 3 days to get the meds. I did request refund but I think chesed fund should refund automatically as it will affect the way ppl give for future campaigns.
I have a lot of expenses and I would not have given for a trust fund etc. curious if im the only one who thinks like this. Im thinkinf to reach out to chesed fund

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:15 pm
I disagree. I think they handled it beautifully and gracefully.

flmommy

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:16 pm
I feel the opposite. The parents were desperate and did everything they could. BH they got the funds another way. I appreciate the transparency and am happy for the money to be put to other uses. If I felt I only wanted my money to be used for the medication then I would have asked for a refund no problem. They made it very easy to do that. What’s the issue?

bsy

I thought what they did was fine and above board. I did a mitzva by donating and wouldn't want it thrown back at me. It's not like they're using the money for something frivolous. It's for her and others like her, with the option of a refund.

simba

Yes and no. The charge to refund a credit card is a lot across 2 million dollars. They should at least only lose that money for people who request it back.

chestnut

I think they handled it fine. Whoever wants to request a refund, can do so.
Wishing her lots of health and a great life ahead

devo1982

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:20 pm
Can someone explain what you mean by "they got the funds another way?" Everything I'm reading seems to indicate that the Chesed Fund campaign was integral to raising the necessary funds and BH, she got the treatment and is doing well.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:24 pm
devo1982 wrote:
Can someone explain what you mean by "they got the funds another way?" Everything I'm reading seems to indicate that the Chesed Fund campaign was integral to raising the necessary funds and BH, she got the treatment and is doing well.

All donors received the following email:

“Dear donor,

We would like to personally thank you for your life saving generosity and support. The medical procedure and treatment was administered to our daughter on July 19, right before her second birthday in accordance with the FDA.

For the sake of full transparency, we wanted to inform you that after this campaign was completed, an alternative source ended up funding this cause.

It would be our preference to have the funds that you so kindly donated to our campaign be re-allocated to a tax deductible fund to assist with Eliana's additional medical expenses.

We fully respect your wishes if you do prefer to have the funds refunded. If you would like to have your donation refunded, please enter your email on this page and we will issue it as quickly as we can over the next few days.

Please however, do not issue a chargeback request. We will make sure that your refund request is honored in a timely manner, but a chargeback would incur additional charges.

Please understand that all our efforts in the last few days were done in an attempt to save our daughter's life with only days to spare, and the situation has been changing for us by the minute.

We cannot stress enough our gratitude to each and everyone that participated in this project to save the life of our daughter, (Eliana) Chana bat Shani.

With much gratitude and hope for your understanding in these trying times,

Ariel & Shani Cohen”

Followed by an email from Rabbanim involved in the situation which states that they’ll be putting the money towards a fund to aid Eliana as well as other sick children who can benefit from the financial aid.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:24 pm
They emailed a few days later that insurance came through and paid for the treatment and they are using the money raised to help her other expenses as well as help other sick kids.theyalso said if you want a refund as money is not being usedfor Medication can email them. I guess because it was veey hard for me to give and I only gave because of the 3 day urgency, my own kids have severe disabilities and I dont have a trust fund set up for them so would not have gave to help other disabled kids. I didnt think about the cost of refunding cc but I still think it was done wrong

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:25 pm
devo1982 wrote:

They sent out an email to all donors that after the funds were raised a third party paid for the medication so they no longer needed our money.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:28 pm
I agree with all the posters who said that they handled it gracefully. I could see lesser people not bothering to refund the money and just using it for the other expenses.

May Eliana have a refuah shleima b'karov, and may we always be there to help a fellow Yid, whatever their needs.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They emailed a few days later that insurance came through and paid for the treatment and they are using the money raised to help her other expenses as well as help other sick kids.theyalso said if you want a refund as money is not being usedfor Medication can email them. I guess because it was veey hard for me to give and I only gave because of the 3 day urgency, my own kids have severe disabilities and I dont have a trust fund set up for them so would not have gave to help other disabled kids. I didnt think about the cost of refunding cc but I still think it was done wrong

I don't understand what you think they should have done differently. They didn't know that the funding would come through until the campaign was already complete. And they made it very simple to request a refund.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:30 pm
From what I understood, the help came about because of the publicity and response to the campaign. I doubt they would have received the third party funds if they just sat and waited. So in a way, it did go to the medication.
They handled it beautifully, and they still have a way to go, so it's not like the money will be going to waste.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:43 pm
The funds were collected for a specific emergency purpose and they are not being used for that. Am I the only one upset about this?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The funds were collected for a specific emergency purpose and they are not being used for that. Am I the only one upset about this?

I would be upset if they had done that without saying anything. Or if they had collected knowing the money would come from somewhere else. But they didn't know it, and they're now telling everyone what happened and saying they are happy to refund the money. What's the issue?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:51 pm
Wow. That is so interesting.
Well, if they set up a fund, can I get some aid for my sick child Wink?
We’re struggling with medical expenses and living in a 1 br apt with 24/7 nursing plus a bunch of other kids...
so....

chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So just request a refund and that's it. Why was it done wrong?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:53 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Wow. That is so interesting.
Well, if they set up a fund, can I get some aid for my sick child Wink?
We’re struggling with medical expenses and living in a 1 br apt with 24/7 nursing plus a bunch of other kids...
so....

This was a particularly crazy situation- they literally had days to raise $2 million for a treatment that was just recently approved by the FDA for children under two. She was days from her second birthday. It's a rare genetic disease.

But if you went to the Chesed Fund or other organizations, I'd venture a guess that you could get some help.

chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:54 pm
OutATowner wrote:
From what I understood, the help came about because of the publicity and response to the campaign. I doubt they would have received the third party funds if they just sat and waited. So in a way, it did go to the medication.
They handled it beautifully, and they still have a way to go, so it's not like the money will be going to waste.

Yup. Not only that, but the rabbis said that it'll help other kids to get it through insurance.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:59 pm
To the above poster in need of funds for your children:
Please call the cheeses fund for assistance! This money is being used for other sick children as well! Absolutely request assistance!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics