Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Realistic wigs are unfair.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

simba

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:45 pm
Pollyanna wrote:
Nobody is being told. I have a realistic wig of 2019 hanging in my closet. I try not to wear it out of the house ever since DH mentioned to me how attracting that kind of wig.

Does he stare? No. Not the type at all. He's a pretty normal guy, but he's not blind, and it's a fact that they make wigs to look as eye catching as you can get.

You have my permission to wear your beautiful wig outside the house. A Jewish woman should look beautiful. It’s fair to me and my dh.I'm not making fun, I’m being genuine. If your tznius you don’t have to worry about anyone else’s filthy mind.

Last edited by simba on Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
How do you feel about unmarried women who have long, glossy, healthy hair? I mean hair down to the waist, that swishes back and forth when they walk, and shimmers in the sunlight?

There is no rule that they have to cover their hair to protect your husband.

True, but nothing beats a sheitel. As pretty as hair can be, most times (yes, not always but usually) if it's a really well made wig with a lot of thought put into it, it's a million times more beautiful.

merrygold

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:51 pm
Pollyanna wrote:
Nobody is being told. I have a realistic wig of 2019 hanging in my closet. I try not to wear it out of the house ever since DH mentioned to me how attracting that kind of wig.

Does he stare? No. Not the type at all. He's a pretty normal guy, but he's not blind, and it's a fact that they make wigs to look as eye catching as you can get.

I'm with you on this one, Pollyanna. I have a longer sheitel that I keep for wearing at home.

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:54 pm
simba wrote:
You have my permission to wear your beautiful wig outside the house. A Jewish woman should look beautiful. It’s fair to means my dh.I'm not making fun, I’m being genuine. If your tznius you don’t have to worry about anyone else’s filthy mind.

Simba, your'e cute Smile Smile Smile

I actually do look really beautiful in my pre-tie. I really do. It's nowhere near my $2000 wig, but I'm not making a chilul Hashem, trust me. You can't imagine how DH feels when I put on my wig friday night, when it's just us. I'm used to yanking it off when I get home, replacing with a worn out snood.

Please don't use the words "filthy minds" for healthy men. As women we have no clue about men biology. There are different levels, some get aroused more than others, but it's a fact whether they admit it or not.

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:01 pm
merrygold wrote:
I'm with you on this one, Pollyanna. I have a longer sheitel that I keep for wearing at home.

wow, same here. Did you ever ask DH what he feels about it? I find that I need to point it out, (I wish he would be the one to raise the subject but oh well) how I'm sacrificing my life just so I could be special to him. His eyes glowed when I told him this last time, and he said that he feels he has an easier time with shmirat einayim when he knows the second half of his soul is putting the emphasis on her upmost beauty just for him.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:45 pm
Pollyanna wrote:
wow, same here. Did you ever ask DH what he feels about it? I find that I need to point it out, (I wish he would be the one to raise the subject but oh well) how I'm sacrificing my life just so I could be special to him. His eyes glowed when I told him this last time, and he said that he feels he has an easier time with shmirat einayim when he knows the second half of his soul is putting the emphasis on her upmost beauty just for him.

Your "upmost beauty" is a wig?

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Your "upmost beauty" is a wig?

Yes. Not just "a wig", but my wig which I spent alot of money, time, & thought making sure it'll look over the top. I'm not alone with that kind of agenda, check out Shevy wigs quote on her home page on her site:

"From charming classics to trendsetting head-turners, our wide selection of natural wigs has exactly what you’re looking for."

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:54 pm
Pollyanna wrote:
Yes. Not just "a wig", but my wig which I spent alot of money, time, & thought making sure it'll look over the top. I'm not alone with that kind of agenda, check out Shevy wigs quote on her home page on her site:

"From charming classics to trendsetting head-turners, our wide selection of natural wigs has exactly what you’re looking for."

The weirdest example of viral marketing I’ve ever seen.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:13 pm
trixx wrote:
I don't understand your op or your point but no, the wigs blacks wear don't come close to the $4,000 sheitels that frum women wear.

Ha! This just shows you don't know any black women. Do you have any idea how much they spend on their weaves?!

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:30 pm
Pollyanna wrote:
True, but nothing beats a sheitel. As pretty as hair can be, most times (yes, not always but usually) if it's a really well made wig with a lot of thought put into it, it's a million times more beautiful.

I thought one of the ideas behind covering your hair is that you keep your actual hair special for your dh.

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:42 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I thought one of the ideas behind covering your hair is that you keep your actual hair special for your dh.

Yes, that's how it is always was ever since the time of the Gemara. But in nowdays when wigs overtop hair, it's no longer special. Especially when at some point down the line our hair gets thin, grey and ugly while outdoor wigs still go strong...

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:46 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Ha! This just shows you don't know any black women. Do you have any idea how much they spend on their weaves?!

I am only referring to the ones in my office. I cannot speak across the board.
They spend a lot more on weaves than on wigs. The secretaries in my office spend $45-75 on wigs, but may spend $300 per packet of on hair for a weave and need 2-3. They all have friends and cousins who put it in for them. (They also reuse the weave hair. They take it out and put it away to be used again.
Their wigs differ in color (blonde to orange to brown to black) and in length from day to day.

They think spending $800, not to mention 2k or more on a single wig is insane.

But I will say the ones in my office are not particularly classy. I imagine others especially professionals do differently.

Metukah

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:59 pm
Pollyanna wrote:

Seriously?

Nothing beats beautiful hair, growing on a head. Fear not, not mine. In my day I've seen beautiful hair that is way nicer than the nicest wig I've seen.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:03 pm
Pollyanna wrote:

Interesting your DH feels this way, because I DID discuss this with my DH and he said that shaitels are inherently not attractive, because they're... fake. It's like being attracted to a blow up doll. I guess each man is different tho...

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:24 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Interesting your DH feels this way, because I DID discuss this with my DH and he said that shaitels are inherently not attractive, because they're... fake. It's like being attracted to a blow up doll. I guess each man is different tho...

A sheitel is not like a blow up doll. That’s like saying a bikini is not attractive because it’s just a piece of clothing.

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:26 pm
Pollyanna wrote:

Oh my god, my skin literally crawled reading this. Ugh.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:39 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
Oh my god, my skin literally crawled reading this. Ugh.

Me too.

So much so that I saved it to discuss with my therapist this week.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:01 pm
Pollyanna wrote:

Sacrificing your life?

I’m living my life with my dh by my side.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:32 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
How do you feel about [b]unmarried women who have long, glossy, healthy hair? I mean hair down to the waist, that swishes back and forth when they walk, and shimmers in the sunlight? [/b]

There is no rule that they have to cover their hair to protect your husband.

Actually there are some that say that said woman should put her in a ponytail because wearing it just straight down like that (and swishing!) is frankly not very modest.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:39 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I am only referring to the ones in my office. I cannot speak across the board.
They spend a lot more on weaves than on wigs. The secretaries in my office spend $45-75 on wigs, but may spend $300 per packet of on hair for a weave and need 2-3. They all have friends and cousins who put it in for them. (They also reuse the weave hair. They take it out and put it away to be used again.
Their wigs differ in color (blonde to orange to brown to black) and in length from day to day.

They think spending $800, not to mention 2k or more on a single wig is insane.

But I will say the ones in my office are not particularly classy. I imagine others especially professionals do differently.

Nope. These women are living within their income bracket, maybe, and I don't pretend to speak for all black women everywhere, but I know a lot of black women who spend an absolute fortune. A weave is only good for about 8 weeks, MAX 12. And it will cost you that $800 you mentioned just to have the process done, and that doesn't include the hair itself. The weave hair can be re-used, but really not that much. Maybe one more time, maximum two, just because of how they are worn round the clock on the head, and washed as often.

For good hair, with a weave, they're spending probably about $2000 every four months, including salon touch ups. You're supposed to rest your natural hair at a certain point, so at that point they can use wigs, or go au naturale.

We talk a lot about who pays more for their wigs/weaves and upkeep. I usually think Jews pay more, simply because our "wash and sets" and the coloring jobs and the more than two wigs thing we have going on.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics