Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Sleep away camps for girls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:23 pm
Can we get a master thread started here with the following current info for BY-type of camps-
Name of sleep away camp?
How far in advance to apply?
Cost per summer?
Scholarship options?

I am trying to do some research for my daughter going into seventh grade and would love to hear all of the different options! TIA!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:31 pm
Are scholarships for camp a real thing? Kids don't must go to camp.

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:50 pm
There are kids who must go for various reasons. The scholarship usually covers part of the cost.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:01 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Are scholarships for camp a real thing? Kids don't must go to camp.

I grew up in an abusive environment. Camp saved my life.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:10 am
I went to camp Sternberg.
It saved my life for sure and I know they gave deep discounts.
I get scholarships for day camp for my girls.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:16 pm
Bump. Anyone?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:18 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I grew up in an abusive environment. Camp saved my life.

Same here. The year my parents divorced was the first year I went to camp and my mother received a scholarship for that.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:09 pm
Agudah mid west
Agudah Toronto
Camp baia yaakov
Bnos
Bnos naaleh
Chaviva
Ohr chedva
Maarava
Malka

Definitely missing a bunch but here are some..

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:19 pm
Kolos
Tehila
Tubby

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:21 pm
My daughter's are n camp bnos. You must apply early. They didn't get in to the 'preferred' half - this year is 1st half. Hopefully next year if they want to go they'll be able to get in to the preferred half as a returning camper.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:23 pm
My girls went to Camp Bais Yaakov. Each of them went for 3 years, and they always gave me a break.

I don't even remember when we applied, but I think those days, it was probably something like January or February.....

I've heard that they are now the "in" camp to go to, they fill up really really early, and discounts are a thing of the past....

I wonder where I'll send my next DD. Will see when we get there. Gonna put it off as long as possible (she's more of a homebody anyway....)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:02 pm
Thank you so much for the replies!! I really appreciate it. I davka posted this in finances because I am trying to budget for it, and would love pricing info Very Happy Does anyone have? For any of those camps?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:25 pm
I just checked my forms from Camp Bnos from 2016. First trip was $2375, second trip was $2325. I don't know if they go up yearly and I doubt they give discounts but I don't know for sure. Sorry I can't give you more recent info but at least this gives you an idea about their prices.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:44 pm
Thank you!!!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I just checked my forms from Camp Bnos from 2016. First trip was $2375, second trip was $2325. I don't know if they go up yearly and I doubt they give discounts but I don't know for sure. Sorry I can't give you more recent info but at least this gives you an idea about their prices.

My boys are in Agudah. They have a scholarship form. You may need to request it. I also write a personal letter explaining the need for camp and a scholarship. It's still expensive and we have a hard time paying it, but it's not full price.

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 10:00 pm
Camp Tehilla is reasonable (under $2,000-), and the girls love it. They’re a first half only camp - if that makes a difference to you . . . Earlybird special is usually until Dec. 1.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 10:03 pm
Thank you for all of the responses!! Super helpful, keep them coming!

Lydia

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:24 pm
What does it mean that there is a "preferred half?" That your daughter prefers to go then, or that most girls prefer it, or that the camp is run differently then, or different kind of girls are accepted for each half?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:55 pm
Kolos is $2,475 plus transportation. I am not aware of any scholarships.

Note that it is for first half only and youngest age is going into 8th grade.

My girls love it!!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:56 pm
Alot of girls like going first half. That's when the break-out for the camp theme is, etc...so some find it more exciting. For this reason, in some camps it tends to attract a different crowd. Some say 2nd half tends to be more chilled.

My oldest always went first half. (she actually always wanted to be home by Tisha B'av, which was why she chose it that way.)

My next one went 2nd half for two summers and loved it. The 3rd summer her friends persuaded her to go first half. She much preferred the slower, more chilled pace of 2nd half, and was sorry she went first half.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics