Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teachers' Salaries for all Ages, Subjects
1  2  Next

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:20 am
Right now I'm doing something related to teaching, but not actual teaching. I'm getting paid on a very low scale, and would like to move up...

I'm interested in teaching, how that will work out remains to be seen, but I have to start somewhere. I've taught in the past, but a very long time ago, so things have definitely changed since then.

I'd like to hear from some teachers on this site how much one can currently expect to make as a teacher - not certified, because I'm not, and wouldn't be expecting to be paid like one. I'd want to know what are starting salaries, per year, and monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly and the per hour breakdown, and what do moderately experienced teachers get, as well.

Different categories of teachers, from preschool through high school. If you post as amother there is no identifying info, could you please tell me what subject,or grade you teach and in what type of school, community?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:26 am
when I was a teacher in a high school, pay was like $25 or maybe $35 a period.
Now I'm certified and doing special ed, so it's a different story

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:27 am
What subject did youteach, and was that in a Bais Yaakov type of school? or other?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:36 am
math. BY type school.

Yakira

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:55 am
I started out at 8k as an assistant teacher in a basement type of preschool. Moved on to a real teacher in a real, somewhat upper-class preschool. Each year and each degree I got I made more (14-21 K). Now I also do Special Ed for a private Special Ed preschool (Jews and non-Jews) and the salary is still higher, plus free benefits. But not as much as the PS would pay.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:03 pm
I made 14K 6 years ago as a part time assistant teacher in a modern orthodox school in an upper class neighborhood (elementary school)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:34 pm
Quote:
I'm getting paid on a very low scale, and would like to move up...

Tzena we all start low to begin with I was peanuts at one time Wink but the objective is to get yourself into the system have them b/come acquainted with you then they feel u are a valuable asset, and then u can ask for raises etc.

Quote:
I made 14K 6 years ago as a part time assistant teacher in a modern orthodox school in an upper class neighborhood (elementary school)

Ok I make 1,700 but by the time it's chopped up benfits tax etc I come home with 1,350 . Though I teach preschool 4hrs aday 4 x a week. And nope I am not government certified, only seminary.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:52 pm
I work in grade school in lubavitch for 6 years (meaning I had raises) and I make 1600 for 5 day workweek , 1/2 a day.
A friend of mine works in BRHS and makes 24 dollars a period and thats supposed 2 be good (highest end of pay scale is 34 a period)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:59 pm
WOW !

How many hours a week is that for 1600/mo. ??

Also, to the pple talking about $25-$34 per period,
is that a 40 minute period ?
Or 45 ? or 5o minutes per period ?

In pittsburgh, good is considered $25 for an hour !
And those are experienced 10-20 year teachers !

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Ok I make 1,700 but by the time it's chopped up benfits tax etc I come home with 1,350 . Though I teach preschool 4hrs aday 4 x a week. And nope I am not government certified, only seminary.
Do you mean 17,000 yearly, or 1,700 monthly? or biweekly? could you explain?

Quote:
I work in grade school in lubavitch for 6 years (meaning I had raises) and I make 1600 for 5 day workweek , 1/2 a day.
same question, is that 16000 for year, or 1600 for week, biweekly, or monthly?
[/quote]

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 1:06 pm
Quote:
Do you mean 17,000 yearly, or 1,700 monthly? or biweekly? could you explain?

I wrote 1,700 originaly reread Twisted Evil and yes it is monthly Wink

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 1:36 pm
I am the above amother, sorry for the 'reread' part. Sad On behalf of all the amothers out there can u forgive me Wink

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Tzena we all start low to begin with I was peanuts at one time Wink but the objective is to get yourself into the system have them b/come acquainted with you then they feel u are a valuable asset, and then u can ask for raises etc.

Most jobs are like that.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 1:49 pm
I worked in a Lubavitch day school. The starting salary there is $10 per hour for an assistant, $20 for a head teacher, and it goes up from there. This is for both preschool and elementary. I worked a full day and got around $2100 biweekly, before insurance and taxes.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 1:53 pm
If you are interested, I can find out precisely and tell you how much people are paid for private lessons, in a public school, in a private Jewish school that delivers a state degree, in one that doesn't, in university. Generally it depends a LOT on your degree.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:18 pm
IF I remember correctly,
my first year teaching I was a Hebrwe teacher in a kiruv school and made around $800/month for 1/2 a day.
as an assistant in a BY, I made about $50 more than that.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:42 pm
I quit teaching a few years ago. I was teaching high school English in a BY out of town and making $1600 a month, basically $20/hour. For each 50-minute classroom period, I spent another hour preparing lesson plans, and at least another hour marking papers (often much more)...so that would be less than $7 an hour, really. If you're a dedicated English teacher, you assign lots of essays and term papers, and your hours spent marking papers can become unreal. I think the same is true of Moros and history teachers. The only teachers who don't end up making a pittance are the math and science teachers.

It makes me so upset to think about. I wish things could be different. I worked with great people and really enjoyed teaching, but there's no way to make it worthwhile unless you're rich. I know a few people who have lots of $, who teach b/c they enjoy it, and really that's the only way the schools can get teachers who will last. I just couldn't continue on that salary.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:44 pm
I forgot to add -- I have a master's degree in education. But the schools just can't pay any more than that, no matter what your level of expertise.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:49 pm
My husband makes $45,000 per year (breaks down to roughly $2300 a month after insurance and taxes since we pay a LOT in insurance) ---- he teaches middle school Jewish history, Mishnah, Tefilah, and does some part time administrative and mashgiach work.

I left the field because I was frustrated by the low pay. We pay out well over $1000 a month in student loan payments and that's half his salary right there. The other half doesn't even cover our whole rent. I needed to make more money, and I'm really regretting all the time I spent going into the field in the first place--- I was young and shortsighted. He, however, LOVES what he does and we agreed that I'd be the one to leave the field.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 9:08 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
My husband makes $45,000 per year (breaks down to roughly $2300 a month after insurance and taxes since we pay a LOT in insurance) ---- he teaches middle school Jewish history, Mishnah, Tefilah, and does some part time administrative and mashgiach work.

I left the field because I was frustrated by the low pay. We pay out well over $1000 a month in student loan payments and that's half his salary right there. The other half doesn't even cover our whole rent. I needed to make more money, and I'm really regretting all the time I spent going into the field in the first place--- I was young and shortsighted. He, however, LOVES what he does and we agreed that I'd be the one to leave the field.

Just curious, what field are you in now?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics