Home

Water-based or oil-based finish for new wood floor
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Brunette


Post  Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:39 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Water-based finishes are more expensive in two ways:
1- You need 4 coats of water-based finish vs 3 coats of oil-based finish
2- Water-based finishes last 3-5 years vs 8-10 years for oil-based finishes, so you have to get your floors refinished twice as often.

I don't think it's just that the person who is doing it wants to charge more. T

That would make sense. I asked someone and they said per can it's the same price.
Back to top

losingweight




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:45 am
I have semi glossy oil base polyurethane and am very happy with it. I know other people that were talked into water based and they are very unhappy. It doesn't wash as well and started showing signs of wear right away.
Back to top

Marigold




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:38 pm
I have water based. I thought I knew what I was getting into but I have to admit it’s worse. The slightest fall of a toy or anything else scratches it. The shine comes off pretty fast and there’s permanent scuff marks all around. And that’s with a no shoe policy and A small family being careful.
What I’ve learned is that what’s beautiful isn’t practical. The same with oil/water paint finishes.
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 5:28 am
tweety1 wrote:
My mother got asthma from moisture cure. That's before it was illegal. Many many yrs ago.

how was that confirmed? it may have triggered asthma symptoms but I doubt it caused asthma. The bigger concern was contractors that have long term exposure to the fumes. Not a one time exposure over several days.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 6:46 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
how was that confirmed? it may have triggered asthma symptoms but I doubt it caused asthma. The bigger concern was contractors that have long term exposure to the fumes. Not a one time exposure over several days.

It was medically confirmed. With moisture cure an exposure for 10 days is enough
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 8:47 am
When our neighbor did their floor without telling us, besides for the inhumane fumes, every time I lit a match, turned on the stove or the oven, it would ignite the fumes (flames were huge and would jump) and the smells we were ingesting became 10000x.
I wanted to move out but didn't have where to go. We didn't cook or have hot food for a week.
Back to top

momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
When our neighbor did their floor without telling us, besides for the inhumane fumes, every time I lit a match, turned on the stove or the oven, it would ignite the fumes (flames were huge and would jump) and the smells we were ingesting became 10000x.
I wanted to move out but didn't have where to go. We didn't cook or have hot food for a week.


Extremely selfish.

My neighbor did it when it was 90 degrees outside. The fumes and smell came though the air condition vents. We turned off the ac

We ended up leaving because it was intolerable.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
When our neighbor did their floor without telling us, besides for the inhumane fumes, every time I lit a match, turned on the stove or the oven, it would ignite the fumes (flames were huge and would jump) and the smells we were ingesting became 10000x.
I wanted to move out but didn't have where to go. We didn't cook or have hot food for a week.


In defense of the neighbors, contractors sometimes tell you there won't be a smell or that it will be of very short duration. When we were redoing our house prior to movng in, at one point we wanted to stay at our house for a chag, because it was near our shul. (Otherwise, we had a long walk.) It was a few days after the floors had been done, and the contractor had told me that the smell would last only one day. I thought maybe we would try to be there. But it was clear when I walked in that I was not going to subject my family to that.
Back to top

momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:59 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
In defense of the neighbors, contractors sometimes tell you there won't be a smell or that it will be of very short duration. When we were redoing our house prior to movng in, at one point we wanted to stay at our house for a chag, because it was near our shul. (Otherwise, we had a long walk.) It was a few days after the floors had been done, and the contractor had told me that the smell would last only one day. I thought maybe we would try to be there. But it was clear when I walked in that I was not going to subject my family to that.


This is true.

That’s why I said upthread please tell your neighbors

Everyone should know this!
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Aug 11 2019, 2:08 am
The smell goes into food when cooking/baking. into the clothes in dryer, food in freezer get a bad taste
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Mon, Aug 12 2019, 12:19 am
dankbar wrote:
I have a family member who works in flooring. He says all new fancy big homes are getting water base nowadays


I have been hearing that too...just wondering why if oil-based is prettier and lasts longer??
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Mon, Aug 12 2019, 12:22 pm
So I live in a private house, semi-attached, neighbors across the driveway are away. Attached neighbors are home. I will be away the entire time that its being done, including the week after, so fumes will have time to dissipate. I obviously want it to last long and be beautiful, but still not sure which way to go?

Also, if I am leaning towards a brown with a touch of gray, would it go better with one over the other?

Here are the colors I'm leaning towards...feel free to tell me which one you like best!
duraseal gray inspired stain line
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:55 pm
bump
Back to top

amother




Ginger


Post  Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:10 am
What would a more natural flooring option be? How can I redo my floors with no fumes? Is tile the only option?
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management

Related Topics Replies Last Post
OK to buy "floor sample" jewelry?
by amother
17 Sat, Oct 12 2019, 6:07 pm View last post
How much does Drivers license cost from start to finish?
by amother
2 Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:11 pm View last post
Took off wood paneling and found mold!!
by amother
6 Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:46 pm View last post
Dd afraid of footsteps on the second floor
by amother
11 Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:12 pm View last post
Building second floor
by amother
35 Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:36 am View last post

Jump to: