Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you celebrate your birthday? Dh? Your kids?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:04 pm
How do you celebrate your birthday? Dh birthday? Kids birthdays (if older - now and when they where younger )?

Did it change at all as time went on? Ex made a bigger deal of your and dh birthday when first married and it slowly changed or made a bigger deal out of the birthdays of the first few kids then the rest

How would you describe yourself ex yeshivish, modern....

Just curious cause have some birthdays coming up....

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:29 pm
I am chassidish and my birthday and husband’s birthday hardly exists for all intents and purposes. It’s more like multiple times a day I will notice the date and smile to myself, having a whole congratulatory conversation in my mind, and then some friends sometimes remember and say something, but that’s it.

For the kids we have them give something out (cupcakes, cookies) to the neighbors and they get to choose what’s for dinner. Dinner we try to make into a big deal, with dessert and a set table and all.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:33 pm
I don't know if this has as much to do with the spectrum of Yiddishkeit as it does with individual family norms.

My family doesn't generally make such a big deal about birthdays, so I don't.

My husband's family tends to at least make a cake or something, so he does that. But they don't make a huge deal about it, either.

DH and I do go out to eat to celebrate our birthdays, but more because it's a convenient excuse to go out.

My kids are little, so it's not so nogeia. If we're making a birthday, it's for the family to get together, not really to celebrate the kid's birthday.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:34 pm
Cake for family whenever it's anyone's birthday & sing happy birthday. Also usually a small gift at some point in honor of the birthday.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:34 pm
DH and I give each other cards. For younger kids we give a gift (and sometimes a cake). For married kids, we generally say Happy Birthday (when we remember). As you can see birthdays are not a big deal in our home.

We are Yeshivish.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:36 pm
For dh and myself, we go out to eat. Sometimes we just drive to a scenic spot and have deli sandwiches in the car. We sometimes do gifts, usually if one of us has been wanting something specific (this year he got me a bag and I got him a scarf).
For the kids, we bring a special treat for all of the extended family at the weekly shabbos afternoon gathering at Bubby's house. We also send a treat and prize to school until around age 9/10. At home we have a special supper with a special dessert and presents.
Chasidish.

bobeli

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:54 pm
Ice cream the day of any family member bday.
Ice cream with sprinkles the shabes of the parsha and special desert for the day seuda

DREAMING

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 1:55 am
My kids choose their “birthday supper”

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:04 am
A birthday party with all their class till around age 10 (that's the norm/class rule, everyone needs to be invited). Thankfully classes only have about 20, and only 15 show up. At our house, homemade cake and goodies, home made entertainment.

From age 10 or so, they invite their closer friends, about 5, to a smaller bday party at our house.

In their midteens they usually stop this, and start having bday parties out at a restaurant with their friends, usually surprise parties their friends arrange.

In addition to friend parties, we have a family party, often with a couple of cousins, where we have a set table, home made decorated birthday cake, lots of little wrapped gifts.

Neither the friend or family party usually falls on the exact date.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:30 am
DH gets a birthday dinner with his favorite foods because he likes dairy.

Really little kids get a family get together with cake and presents. It's really more of an excuse to have everyone over at the same time.

Preschool age kids get school parties with cupcakes and a birthday Shabbos at home where they get to pick the menu (within reason).

School age kids get a birthday Shabbos and a friends party if they want it. We try to keep it low-key and have done various things. This tapers out towards bar/bas mitzvah age.

We don't have teenagers or married kids yet so we'll have to see.

DH makes me a birthday Shabbos with the kids. He does a more elaborate job than I do and the kids come up with costumes and other shtick. They have fun preparing and being all secretive and I love having the weekend off. It's the best present!

Metukah

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:13 am
We celebrate every birthday with a cake and gift and usually a chosen supper.

We sometimes make a big party, inviting cousins... Depending on what the child wants.

I bake and decorate a cake for dh's and the kids' birthdays.

My birthday is less celebrated cos who's gonna prepare the party and bake a cake. My kids (they're still young) complain every year that I'm not having a party, and I need to explain every time that I'm not baking myself a cake.

We're chassidish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics