Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
yes - we are chassidish  
 28%  [ 57 ]
Yes - we are not chassidish  
 31%  [ 62 ]
No - we are chassidish  
 7%  [ 15 ]
No - we are not chassidish  
 32%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 199

cm

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:31 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't like pierced earrings on babies. I think they are so perfect and soft, and seeing that piece of metal shoved in their skin is just jarring to me.

Then again, I am not a big proponent of pierced earrings at all. Most of my girls got theirs pierced as teens (some multiple piercings), when it was their choice.

I'm with you. I find infant piercing grotesque. I suppose those who think it's "soooo cuuuute" are accustomed to seeing it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:40 am
tf wrote:
Baby’s ears (as anything else) grow until adulthood, not 3 months. Lol

Lol ears never stop growing thats why you can see elderly people with big ears

Studious

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:51 am
I’m with the people who don’t like how earrings look on newborns.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:56 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Lol ears never stop growing thats why you can see elderly people with big ears
I used the wrong terminology. Newborns ears are not fully developed at birth. There is still some development that happens in the first few months. You can laugh and make fun of me. This is what the doctor told me. I didn’t decide this on my own.

hannah22

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:27 am
No, I wouldn't do that. It's not my decision whether or not she wants her ears pierced. It's her body, not mine. If she wants her ear pierced when she is old enough to decide for herself, that's fine she can go ahead. I had mine pierced at 14, I don't even remember the pain now. Sure it might have hurt for a few seconds but so does an injection or whatever. It's fine.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:30 am
Ever since I was a little girl I was desperate for earrings. My parents didn’t approve of putting holes in the body and I had to wait until I was an adult. I think baby’s look adorable with earrings. That being said, I chose not to pierce my baby’s ears because I want her to be old enough to make that decision and take care of it. Plus I’d be nervous about choking if it falls out plus the potential for infections. I think bas mitzvah is a good time if she wants it then. However she does wear an adorable bracelet every day and I love getting her cute clothes and accessories. (She’s still a baby)

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:15 am
cm wrote:
No need to poke holes in a baby. She can decide for herself when she's older.

I don't understand this argument either, unless the age that you let her decide is 16 or 18.

Really, if it's such an important decision that it's inappropriate and moralistically wrong for a mother to put a hole in her dd's body, how in the world is a 3 year old or even 10 year old mature enough to make such a decision?

I have a non religious friend whose ds got himself a tattoo. I think she made him wait till he finished high school.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't like pierced earrings on babies. I think they are so perfect and soft, and seeing that piece of metal shoved in their skin is just jarring to me.

This. Babies are perfect as-is.

Plus I'd worry about safety.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:49 am
Laiya wrote:
I don't understand this argument either, unless the age that you let her decide is 16 or 18.

Really, if it's such an important decision that it's inappropriate and moralistically wrong for a mother to put a hole in her dd's body, how in the world is a 3 year old or even 10 year old mature enough to make such a decision?

I have a non religious friend whose ds got himself a tattoo. I think she made him wait till he finished high school.

its not such an important decision. But it is a choice. I know I have holes in my ears because it was something I wanted - not something my mother wanted... and they are my ears.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:50 am
Have you ever met a girl who said I wish I didn’t have pierced ears?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:55 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

I posted above that I don't believe in piercing a baby's ears. I have an 11 year old daughter who is very tomboyish. She dislikes anything "girly" and refuses to wear anything pink or ruffly or floral. Her favorite tops are from the boy's section of stores and if she didn't have to wear skirts for tznius reasons she would happily wear leggings/pants all the time. You can bet that she also dislikes wearing jewelry and has mentioned numerous times that she's happy she doesn't have pierced ears.

perry2020

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:57 am
I think that if you pierce her ears now she'll be so thankful. Earrings on a little baby girl add so much cuteness to them, she'll appreciate it in her pictures later on. Also, the excitement is not the actual piercing. It's choosing the earring. As soon as she's old enough to appreciate it you can let her choose herself!

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:59 am

I have a daughter who has expressed no interest in wearing earrings. That's good enough reason for me not to put holes in her ears.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:02 am

Yes.

And the fact is that the holes are visible even when closed. I notice it all the time. I’ve allowed my 3d hole to close, and I find that noticeable as well.

I truly dislike the looks of pierced ears on a baby. It’s incongruous, like dressing a toddler in mature clothing.

I also don’t understand the notion that someone found piercing “traumatizing,” and that “trauma” has persisted over 20 or more years, so they think they’ll just do that traumatizing think to an infant.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:03 am
perry2020 wrote:
I think that if you pierce her ears now she'll be so thankful. Earrings on a little baby girl add so much cuteness to them, she'll appreciate it in her pictures later on. Also, the excitement is not the actual piercing. It's choosing the earring. As soon as she's old enough to appreciate it you can let her choose herself!

My perfect beautiful little girl doesn’t need cuteness added to her. She’s absolutely perfect as Gd created her.

(She’ll appreciate it in her pictures?? What?)

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
its not such an important decision. But it is a choice. I know I have holes in my ears because it was something I wanted - not something my mother wanted... and they are my ears.

It seems logically inconsistent to me. A three year old is not capable of any type of informed consent.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:14 am
Laiya wrote:
It seems logically inconsistent to me. A three year old is not capable of any type of informed consent.

A three year old can have an opinion on the matter - a newborn can't.

The parent still needs to consent.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:21 am
momsrus wrote:
[b]

This is the absolute worst time you can do it. Either do it as a newborn or wait until they are older.

I don't remember asking for your opinion but I'll explain.
The main reason I won't pierce a newborns ears is because I worry about infection. Once their immune system has built up a little it doesn't worry me so much, plus I can take the earrings out if I see any sign of redness. With newborns it's harder to detect.

Anyway, thanks for the unsolicited advice. I honestly don't see the difference between a newborn and a one year old. They have approximately the same long term memory.

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
A three year old can have an opinion on the matter - a newborn can't.

The parent still needs to consent.

We don't believe a three year old's opinion should be taken into account with respect to deciding when she should go to bed but to put a hole in her body it's ok?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:46 am
Laiya wrote:
We don't believe a three year old's opinion should be taken into account with respect to deciding when she should go to bed but to put a hole in her body it's ok?

If my three year old says "I'm tired I want to go to sleep" - I take her to sleep . I certainly listen to her.

If I thought as a parent that ear piercing is a bad idea (like staying up to 11pm when you are three) - then her opinion on the matter wouldn't be relevant to me - there would be no pierced ears.

I don't really care one way or another about ear piercing - other than its not something I would do to a person who doesn't have a voice in the matter.

Its not like I look at parents of newborns with pierced ears and think badly of them.. its a different parenting choice than I would make. Like oh so many other parenting choices out there.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics