Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to give one year old in bottle
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 12:43 pm
My one year old drinks from sippy cups all day but likes a bottle in the morning and before he goes to sleep. He doesn't like milk, I tried. What else can I give him? I've been giving vanilla soy milk but I'm being told that's not healthy so then what can I give that a kid will like and has some nutritional value?

simba

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 12:47 pm
Almond milk

shmosmom

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 12:50 pm
Water or rice dream

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 12:56 pm
Are you giving him the milk warm? Try that or add a drop of chocolate syrup for flavor.
Water
Kendamil toddler formula

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 1:10 pm
I give him water all day but he wakes up starving so water won't cut it. Almond milk didn't seem to have much nutritional value, does it? Is it better than soy? I was also thinking of adding chocolate syrup to the milk (very little of it) and seeing if he likes that.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:10 pm
Why does he wake up so hungry? Does he eat a good dinner before bed? If you think he needs something with more nutrition, try the kendamil toddler formula for ages 1-2.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:42 pm
Can he not get breakfast earlier if he's waking up so hungry? I would give him food rather than go down the road of giving chocolate milk etc. (I made the mistake to do something similar and now he won't touch it without juice/chocolate etc) Once they get used to sweet things, it's very hard to wean them off it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Why does he wake up so hungry? Does he eat a good dinner before bed? If you think he needs something with more nutrition, try the kendamil toddler formula for ages 1-2.

He’s not the best eater. But regardless, I think most people wake up hungry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Can he not get breakfast earlier if he's waking up so hungry? I would give him food rather than go down the road of giving chocolate milk etc. (I made the mistake to do something similar and now he won't touch it without juice/chocolate etc) Once they get used to sweet things, it's very hard to wean them off it.

He’s drinking vanilla soy now so that’s sweet too. At least it’ll be milk and not soy.

He loves his morning bottle. When he wakes up he grabs it as soon as I come in with it. I don’t think he’d want to eat right away.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s not the best eater. But regardless, I think most people wake up hungry.

So give him breakfast?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 2:57 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
So give him breakfast?

He doesn't eat well in the morning. He loves his bottle first thing and I'm not ready to take that away. I was asking for suggestions what to give him IN his bottle, not to be told to take it away.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:03 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
So give him breakfast?

My 1 year old is also ravenous in the morning (and sometimes wakes at night to eat). Often he has to nurse immediately and has no patience to make it downstairs for breakfast.
So while no advise on what to put in bottle I get the starving baby imagery.

For some of my children I did use choc syrup to introduce whole milk and slowly reduced the syrup once they were used to it. I’d think it’s better then sweetened soy milk.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:05 pm
A drop of chocolate syrup won't do any harm.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:07 pm
Is it sweetened vanilla or unsweetened?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:07 pm
I get that a bottle is most convenient in the morning, however nothing will compare to milk, nutrition wise after 1. If he’s really hungry he will drink the milk, otherwise put him in the high chair with a handful of Cheerios and prepped cheese cubes, cut grapes etc. better to have him on real food than a milk alternative if he isn’t going to drink milk. Not a good idea to keep giving a bottle after 1, that’s why everyone is saying skip the bottle

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:09 pm
Amother blue, there's nothing wrong with giving a one year old a bottle! Not everyone needs to eat first thing in the morning. All my babies had bottles past one and they're all perfectly fine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 3:21 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I get that a bottle is most convenient in the morning, however nothing will compare to milk, nutrition wise after 1. If he’s really hungry he will drink the milk, otherwise put him in the high chair with a handful of Cheerios and prepped cheese cubes, cut grapes etc. better to have him on real food than a milk alternative if he isn’t going to drink milk. Not a good idea to keep giving a bottle after 1, that’s why everyone is saying skip the bottle

this has nothing to do with convenience. I give him both. First a bottle to help him slowly wake up and not feel ravenous. Then I give him breakfast. This does not take the place of a meal. He loves it and he's still a baby, so I do not want to take it away from him.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 4:02 pm
I was still giving a few formula bottles at that age. Slowly I mixed in whole milk to the formula (an ounce.. 2,3....a little more each day)until I was only giving milk. Eventually I was adding cocoa powder and hot water and my baby devoured that hot cocoa bottle the way a coffee addict would drink their morning coffee. Once we stopped with the bottle ( and I never force them to stop) , he didn’t enjoy the hot cocoa in a cup. There’s something magical about a warm bottle of (chocolate) milk!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 4:33 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I was still giving a few formula bottles at that age. Slowly I mixed in whole milk to the formula (an ounce.. 2,3....a little more each day)until I was only giving milk. Eventually I was adding cocoa powder and hot water and my baby devoured that hot cocoa bottle the way a coffee addict would drink their morning coffee. Once we stopped with the bottle ( and I never force them to stop) , he didn’t enjoy the hot cocoa in a cup. There’s something magical about a warm bottle of (chocolate) milk!

curious - why did you feed your baby a chocolate milk bottle?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 4:54 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
curious - why did you feed your baby a chocolate milk bottle?

Because he was almost 2 and didn’t want to drink milk anymore
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics