Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Organizing clothing
1  2  Next

micki

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 12:00 pm
how do you organiize the clothes the kids grew out of?
what if you have 2 girls who are opposite seasons?
what do you store them in?
where?
what about if its winter clothes that wll still fit them next year?

I'm swimming in clothes.
each of my kids is a different season. so I have summer/wintre of the same size. I nhave so much...

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 2:34 pm
Just b/c of space limitations I store them in labeld clear garden bags. I do ages like newborn to 1 , 1-3yrs . boy or girl so on and so forth. I'll tell you though even though they r clean when they go in the bag, they still need to be rewashed b/c they b/come musty smelling and also they've been sitting for awhile so it's always good to freshen them up.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 8:22 pm
I only have one child so far but what I do is label the container. boys , the size, and the season. I have a separate container(which fits under my bed) where I put clothes which will fit for the next season either new ones or ones that he allready wore but still fit him.

lucy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 10:20 pm
There are great containers different sizes that you can get in walmart. bc they are in diff you can hide them in closet top shelves or on the floor, under bed, garage (seal tight) locker room ect.I basically label & go by age. For example with the neborn stuff I put ectra nursing pads, recieving blankets,ect. Good luck!

queen

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 4:17 pm
if you're looking for good containers (really for ANYTHING!!) check out the container store.

however I'm warning you in advance==== that store is unreal, so unless you have self control, you'll come out with a lot more than what you entered for..... but probably not sorry either.

mommy2

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 7:31 pm
the container store- where is that?

Mommy912

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 7:35 pm
You can find them online at The Container Store

queen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:01 am
thanks for posting link to container store.
for those that don't have a store near by, I guess the web is the only option. however for those neat and organized ppl (or wannabe's) VISIT the actual store.... it's a lot of fun!

eliana

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 9:00 am
Sorry, I'm not experiences in organising the children clothes yet embarrassed but I just want to share an advice for avoiding bad smell when they are taken out of container - put in each container a fragrant soap bar (or half or a quarter of it depending on how bg is the container) Wink

lucky

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 9:08 am
Has anyone actally put a soap bar into storage boxes? I am wondering if it will not stain clothing.
even if I wrap it in a piece of cloth, since the box is airtight, I wonder if the fragrance/fumes it emits will cause stains.

I have heard about using dryer sheets/softener to avoid smells on clothing put in storage.

eliana

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 9:12 am
I usually put soap bars in plastic bags where I store non-season clothes and there are no stains Rolling Eyes

Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 9:35 am
you still need to wash everything when taken out of bag or container!!!

eliana

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 9:44 am
Quote:
you still need to wash everything when taken out of bag or container!!!

But it smells nice at least...........
And yes, my experience is all about non-season clothes and they do no need to be washed if they are already washed before put in a bag with a soap bar after few months. So, I belive it is different when children clothing is stored for a couple of years and you know better

bgk

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 10:43 am
I use boxex from IKEA. They are cheap and cute. I label a size, a season and a gender.
I have two boys and a girl. And you have to see my boxes - they are so organised.
Also I have separate box for girl's coats, boys coats and shoes.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 2:38 am
[quote="lucky"]Has anyone actally put a soap bar into storage boxes? I am wondering if it will not stain clothing.
even if I wrap it in a piece of cloth, since the box is airtight, I wonder if the fragrance/fumes it emits will cause stains.

I have heard about using dryer sheets/softener to avoid smells on clothing put in storage.[/quote]

keep the soap in its wrapper or put it in a plastic bag with a few holes punched into it.. I've been putting fragrant soap in stored clothing forever and have never had a staining problem. I usually put several bars of soap in each box, between different layers of clothes.

I wash evrything before storing and never have to wash when taking out, unless "closet stains" have appeared. these are stains caused by something on the fabric that was invisible when stored, and with time and heat oxidized to form a visible stain. the stains can be bleached out again if the fabric is bleachable.

you can also put fragrant dried flowers like lavender into an envelope or a tea ball and throw that into the box. If you are a craft nut, you can sew little sachet bags out of thin fabric and stuff the bags with potpourri, lavender flowers, cloves, cinnamon sticks or cotton balls with perfume. Or use those perfume sampler papers that come in magazines.

.if your family has a tendency to allergies and asthma, I would go easy on the fragrances and use tightly-woven fabric bags filled with baking soda.

micki

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 8:59 am
so for the past 2 days I have been sorting folding ironing hanging up oh my my family has a lot of clothing needs.

I really need to buy more containers- recently the store ran out of the solid color ones so I bought clear and I like them better!
you can see what is inside.

my boys are one size apart now and I am able to just pass it on without it ever geting to the deep storage stage.

my older girls are 18 months apart, and now the matching clothes they wore is passed to my 2nd girl and baby, thats how tiny the 5 yr old is!

now someone told me that they don't save any clothes- they give it all away and buy again for the next kid. she does this cause she hates storing clothes.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 10:41 am
micki wrote:

now someone told me that they don't save any clothes- they give it all away and buy again for the next kid. she does this cause she hates storing clothes.

nice if you have the means.

happymom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 10:48 am
I have a few big plastic containers that I keep under the beds. its great because they can hold alot and you cant see them!

chen

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 10:58 am
micki wrote:
how do you organiize the clothes the kids grew out of?
what if you have 2 girls who are opposite seasons?
what do you store them in?
where?
what about if its winter clothes that wll still fit them next year?

I'm swimming in clothes.
each of my kids is a different season. so I have summer/wintre of the same size. I nhave so much...

my friend has boxes labeled "girl winter sizes 4-6" "girl summer sizes 3-5" "boy winter sizes 12-14" and so on. she uses the boxes that copy paper comes in (dh works in an office) and keeps them in the appropriate closets (girls in girls' room, boys in boys'). if she thinks they will fit next year she leaves them lower down; long-term storage she puts in less accessible places.

a lot of my neighbors covered the boxes in self-stick plastic and numbered them. they have a little notebook or something in which they lists the contents of each box. one lady cut little windows in the boxes and covered them with clear plastic so she could see what was inside.

some people put up shelves in the kids' room and store the boxes there. others stash the boxes under the kids' bunk beds. I think around 12 cartons fit under each bed (unless you have a trundle bed under there already!) lots of people put shelves up near the ceiling all the way across an alcove or a hallway (like a "boydem" or entresol) and use that.

red sea

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 12:10 pm
I still get annoyed with so many boxes and if you need something you have to empty the whole box to get to the bottom. Plus the kids can still "help me" and unpack boxes.

I got a huge heavy duty plastic storage cabinet meant for garages from black&decker, and use each shelf from top to bottom in order of size & season. Best part is you can lock the door to prevent little helpers from too much helping.

And it seems to take less room and appears neater as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry