Home

ADHD son stealing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:59 pm
My ADHD 11 year old is stealing money to buy treats.
We have caught him a few times and he always admits it but he can't seem to stop. His excuse is that all his friends buy nosh every day, which obviously is not true.
He is also gaining tons of weight and is very chubby.
We spoke to a parenting expert who said to ignore it and lock up our money and he will outgrow it.
We try to remember to keep our money locked up but invariably, I leave my purse out or something and he ends up taking.
Any tried and true advice?

mha3484

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:03 pm
He sounds very impulsive. Is he medicated?

amother

Wine

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:31 pm
I so feel your pain - all I can offer is topray for you. Hate to hijack this thread - suffering with the same and DS is 14. It's getting progressively worse. Any ideas more than welcome. It's been such a struggle... My son wasn't diagnosed and isn't willing to meet anyone.

imasinger

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:36 pm
Is it possible for you to stop carrying cash, and pay for things with a credit or debit card?

Also, does he have a way to get money other than stealing? Allowance or job?

Would it work to sit at a calm time, say that you understand the temptation, but it's your job as parent to help him control his yetzer hara? Maybe the two of you could generate a list of household jobs he could do to pay back any pilfering. But he can get double that rate if he asks and does the work beforehand.

amother

OP

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
He sounds very impulsive. Is he medicated?

Yes, he is on Ritalin. And yes he is impulsive.

amother

Pink

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:59 pm
Meet with a therapist to work on impulse control.
Ritalin wears off. He could use a non stimulant medication that helps with impulsivity. Those are generally for 24 hours.

mha3484

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:01 pm
I agree with Pink. My son is on guanfacine to reduce impulsive behavior and it helps him a lot.

Therapy also helps him.

amother

OP

Post  Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:16 pm
What kind of therapist?
Do you know of one in Jerusalem?

amother

Jetblack

Post  Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:47 am
Can you give him the opportunity to earn candy from you? If he's going to get the extra calories anyway (whether you give them or he steals them), better from you. This way you can put some limit on it (even if it's more than what he should be having) and he will have less temptation to steal.

Is his dose of Ritalin high enough? Can your doctor add guanfacine?

Spoken as the mom of kid who has adhd and used to steal. I really sympathize.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven