Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Glasses
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:37 am
I took my almost 10 year old daughter to the eye doctor yesterday to pick out a new pair of frames. She picked a pair that I am definitely not crazy about. I tried to be as supportive as possible to try not to push a different pair. She seemed to really like this specific pair of frames. The optician assured me that these type of frames were pretty popular among kids this age (colored transparent frames). This morning I keep thinking about how I really don't like the frames she chose. I'm trying very hard to keep my opinion to myself cause I don't want her to second guess her choice. What would you have done? Would you have kept quiet and let your child pick what he/she liked regardless of your opinion, or would you have given your opinion, trying to sway your child to pick something different? My daughter is very independent, so I want to encourage that but I'm not a huge fan of her choice. I know it's just a fashion thing, but she has such a pretty face, these new frames don't do it justice. But I let her pick what she wanted, I'm just not so thrilled about it. She's been wearing glasses less than a year. Her current frames are gorgeous (which is why I'm making a big deal over this) but her prescription changed so she wanted new frames.

librarygirl

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:41 am
If it's what other kids are wearing I wouldn't say anything. Kids today get precious little choice as it is. And this is so temporary.

singleagain

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:48 am
Don't say anything. Especially of they are a tends you just don't prefer. It could possibly still affect her choices later in life

My mom doesn't like certain patterns, even though I love it I have a hard time wearing them. I do have one dress in that pattern and after a long summer walk I had to change so before I came down one day, I told her "I'm wearing it be it's the lightest thing I have" so she knew not to comment.

I'm 33 and that happened just a few weeks ago.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:50 am
If possible let her keep them but any way you can change the lenses in her old frames too so she can wear those if she has a wedding of something?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:57 am
ra_mom wrote:
If possible let her keep them but any way you can change the lenses in her old frames too so she can wear those if she has a wedding of something?

The frames are plastic so they stretch out a little over time. If new lenses were to be put in, there's a good chance the frames will break. Its not recommended.

Teomima

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:09 am
She's the one who has to wear them on her face. Delicately express your opinion when you help her choose, but once she's made up her mind, fully support her. Don't make her feel bad about her choice. Don't say anything. It's her opinion that matters most. Besides, in another year or two she'll need new glasses anyways, so this is all temporary.

erm

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:23 am
My daughter has the transparent frames too. Even though I really don't like them, I didn't say anything. They are the latest trend and it isn't worth making her feel bad. If wearing the frames that are in style makes her feel good, why knock it? It is temporary

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 10:35 am
too funny! I had the exact same thing with my daughter last year and did the same as you. Just let it go. The good news is we got the transparent glasses a year ago, so hopefully it will be going out soon enough Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The frames are plastic so they stretch out a little over time. If new lenses were to be put in, there's a good chance the frames will break. Its not recommended.

If it were me and I'd still get a second inexpensive pair. Some shops have specific pairs fully covered by insurance.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 10:59 am
You're a great mom for allowing her to put her desires first. Totally agreed with every single one of the replies above.

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:26 pm
My 8 year-old son has his taste with glasses that I can't say I understand either, but I let him pick within my budget. I can suggest 10 frames, but once he's set on one particular frame he's set. I even tried taking him somewhere where we could get glasses the same day, but he's like I'll wait for the other ones to be ready.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:00 pm
I trust the people at my eyeglass store regarding trends. I will also sometimes ask my other kids if it's on trend and practical, I go with it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:06 am
Update: so we picked up my daughter's new glasses that she picked out and I'm not so happy. They are too big for her little face, but she seems happy with them. I don't get this new trend of translucent large frames, but she's happy. I'm trying very hard to hold my tongue, but I don't like them very much. BH this should be my biggest problem in life.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:19 am
My 6 year old daughter has transparent frames too and I actually like them better than the burgundy plastic frames we had before (which were adorable). I think with the transparent frames the face is way more open and expressive! Of course it’s a matter of opinion, just stating mine Smile

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:57 am
Can I see a pic?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:09 am
I happen to like the transparent frames but I totally understand your feelings about being bothered so much for not liking something your daughter picked, that she wears every day. You said they were a little big, so just wanted to point out that that's where I draw the line when picking frames. I am very particular that they fit right, and then I let my daughter choose from the few that are her size. And yes, there is a way to fit glasses properly, and no, most stores/doctors know nothing about this. The eyes are supposed to be centered in the frame from side to side, and preferable from top to bottom too. I see too many kids wearing glasses that are way to big for their faces, and that bothers me a lot more than the particular style they chose. The numbers inside the handle can give you a clue, the first number is the length of the frame over each eye in mm and that's the most important part that needs to fit.
https://forlittleeyes.com/2014.....hild/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:20 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I happen to like the transparent frames but I totally understand your feelings about being bothered so much for not liking something your daughter picked, that she wears every day. You said they were a little big, so just wanted to point out that that's where I draw the line when picking frames. I am very particular that they fit right, and then I let my daughter choose from the few that are her size. And yes, there is a way to fit glasses properly, and no, most stores/doctors know nothing about this. The eyes are supposed to be centered in the frame from side to side, and preferable from top to bottom too. I see too many kids wearing glasses that are way to big for their faces, and that bothers me a lot more than the particular style they chose. The numbers inside the handle can give you a clue, the first number is the length of the frame over each eye in mm and that's the most important part that needs to fit.
https://forlittleeyes.com/2014.....hild/

It's not so much the style that bothers me, it's the size. The optician said that kids this age are wearing bigger frames. I don't get it. My daughter really liked these so I let her choose them. I'm really regretting it now. I just don't want to make her feel bad about her choice. But yes, I think they are too big for her little face. My insurance will cover a second pair of frames. So if she realizes they really are too big for her, I can get her a different pair. I'm just not so sure she's gunna realize this. She really likes them.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not so much the style that bothers me, it's the size. The optician said that kids this age are wearing bigger frames. I don't get it. My daughter really liked these so I let her choose them. I'm really regretting it now. I just don't want to make her feel bad about her choice. But yes, I think they are too big for her little face.
Sorry this happened. I keep getting upset over and over again that opticians seriously don't know how to fit frames properly. Can you ask if those frames came in a smaller size and if they'd let you exchange? You can get the big look without them being oversized.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:44 am
Are you old enough to remember the 80's when glasses were huge? What I'm seeing now is just that again. The style is for them to take up more of the face, and if she is wearing what every else is then she will not look strange. Honestly, I think it's nice to have the lenses be bigger, because you have a bigger range of glasses-aided vision without turning your head. You can look down with your eyes without moving your head and still see.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:52 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Are you old enough to remember the 80's when glasses were huge? What I'm seeing now is just that again. The style is for them to take up more of the face, and if she is wearing what every else is then she will not look strange. Honestly, I think it's nice to have the lenses be bigger, because you have a bigger range of glasses-aided vision without turning your head. You can look down with your eyes without moving your head and still see.

The optician told me the same thing. I don't like them but apparently all the young kids are wearing big frames. I guess it's just a matter of me getting used to seeing them on her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children